Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Hawkmoth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2022, 7:07 pm

Hello everybody, I'm new here. The reason I've joined is because I'm having these problems in real life that I'm having difficulty coping with. I'm at my limit and I'm trying to reach out somewhere, anywhere I could get good advice. I am undiagnosed but I am positive that I have some form of high functioning autism. I would like to visit a doctor for a proper diagnosis, but I simply cannot afford such an unnecessary expense right now. I am hoping, by speaking to a lot of people experiencing the same challenges that I do, that I could, one, have a place I feel like I belong, and two, learn more about myself and how to properly handle the challenges I am facing.

Please be kind, I've had a rough life.

RenegadeWanderer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2022, 7:34 pm

Hello, I'm new here as well. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble finding someone to help find out if you are diagnosed. Fortunately from what I've noticed, this site has plenty of forums of people opening about their experiences and issues. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for. A few things I can recommend when I was trying to learn more about myself is watching a few YouTube videos by those who are diagnosed as well as checking out a few self help books. One video I would recommend looking at is: Are You Undiagnosed Autistic? How To Tell If You're On The Autism Spectrum by Autism From The Inside.

I hope I was able to offer some guidance

Last edited by RenegadeWanderer on 28 Oct 2022, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 8:26 pm

Hawkmoth wrote:
Hello everybody, I'm new here. The reason I've joined is because I'm having these problems in real life that I'm having difficulty coping with. I'm at my limit and I'm trying to reach out somewhere, anywhere I could get good advice. I am undiagnosed but I am positive that I have some form of high functioning autism. I would like to visit a doctor for a proper diagnosis, but I simply cannot afford such an unnecessary expense right now. I am hoping, by speaking to a lot of people experiencing the same challenges that I do, that I could, one, have a place I feel like I belong, and two, learn more about myself and how to properly handle the challenges I am facing.

Welcome to Wrong Planet. It is a little hard to guess what problems you are going through but assuming that you are an Aspie (Asperger's Syndrome) I will give the following generalized advice.

Stress accumulates in humans. It builds and builds and builds until it finally explodes into a meltdown. Even a small thing can put you over the edge. But there is a coping mechanism. There is a certain type of exercise that can eliminate the stress and bring your body back to normal. This exercise can be done by running the 50 yard dash as fast as possible. Do this about 10 times and it will eliminate your stress and get you back to normal.

I think NTs in general experience much less stress than the average high functioning autistic. But I think they also tend to be more involved in sports. So in general, NTs do not normally experience the mental breakdowns that we live with. But sometimes they can also exhibit this type of mental breakdown and this is one method they have found to solve their problems.

Hawkmoth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Oct 2022, 8:43 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet. It is a little hard to guess what problems you are going through but assuming that you are an Aspie (Asperger's Syndrome) I will give the following generalized advice.

Stress accumulates in humans. It builds and builds and builds until it finally explodes into a meltdown. Even a small thing can put you over the edge. But there is a coping mechanism. There is a certain type of exercise that can eliminate the stress and bring your body back to normal. This exercise can be done by running the 50 yard dash as fast as possible. Do this about 10 times and it will eliminate your stress and get you back to normal.

I think NTs in general experience much less stress than the average high functioning autistic. But I think they also tend to be more involved in sports. So in general, NTs do not normally experience the mental breakdowns that we live with. But sometimes they can also exhibit this type of mental breakdown and this is one method they have found to solve their problems.

Hi! Thank you. I have a pretty physically demanding job. I'm a courier, so I do a lot of heavy lifting. I would like to think that helps. Maybe I should get back into running again. I certainly have time for it now. It's just hard finding the motivation.

There's actually this very pressing issue I have which spurred me to join a community like this. I was wondering if you could provide some insight into it? I posted in The Haven detailing everything I'm going through in this specific issue. It's this issue that's making everything so hard for me because it threatens my future. It has to deal with hypersensitivity in a forced social setting where no one cares.

I don't remember if posting links to other threads is allowed here, but if it's not, I'll edit it out my post here. But if otherwise, here's the link: viewtopic.php?t=409665

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 11:03 am

Welcome to WP! I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough life; I hope WP helps ease things a bit.

I hope you have discovered these:
=>- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
=>- Aspie-Quiz Registering is optional!
They might help support your suspicions about being on the Spectrum.

I'll also mention that if you have health insurance and it includes "Mental Health" coverage then they might provide at least partial coverage for an Adult Autism Assessment. But you'd want to verify that, follow their procedures carefully, and try to use one of their in-network providers...even then, though, they might not provide full coverage.

I understand, however, that part of a rough life might be not having health insurance.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 3:25 am

Welcome! Hope you find WP useful.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 5:08 am

welcome! its a lot to sort, isn't it? Emotional homework, looking at everything we thought we knew from this different perspective of autism. Do your best self care since you are going through a bit of "culture shock" and facing a life that will look different from now on. Ask lots of questions, where better than a place that has so many individuals with actual lived experiences and insights with Autism? You are definitely not alone!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 5:19 am

Willkommen :mrgreen:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 1:24 pm

Hawkmoth wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Hi! Thank you. I have a pretty physically demanding job. I'm a courier, so I do a lot of heavy lifting. I would like to think that helps. Maybe I should get back into running again. I certainly have time for it now. It's just hard finding the motivation.

There's actually this very pressing issue I have which spurred me to join a community like this. I was wondering if you could provide some insight into it? I posted in The Haven detailing everything I'm going through in this specific issue. It's this issue that's making everything so hard for me because it threatens my future. It has to deal with hypersensitivity in a forced social setting where no one cares.

I don't remember if posting links to other threads is allowed here, but if it's not, I'll edit it out my post here. But if otherwise, here's the link: viewtopic.php?t=409665

I scanned what you wrote in the other thread and the condition that you are describing is called Hyperacusis.

Sound Sensitivity and Autism

Hyperacusis is an increased sensitivity to sound that is commonly found among people with autism. This means that certain noises, such as classroom bells, the radio or the TV, may be uncomfortable for your child to hear. When a sound is distressing to a child, he or she may show discomfort by covering their ears, trying to turn off the source of the sound or leaving the noisy environment.

Another article says: Essentially, the brain is responding more actively than it needs to when a noise occurs. This can spark a [b]fight or flight response in your child: an intense feeling of anxiety that something is wrong.[/b]

Living with Autism and noise sensitivity discusses this as follows:

High and intense noises can have a severe impact on people living with Autism. Autistic children are very sensitive to specific sounds and pitches that others are not affected by. The downside to sound sensitivity is that noise quickly becomes painful and can even trigger a panic attack. When a person hears multiple sounds simultaneously, it becomes almost impossible to pay attention to the task at hand. Separating and prioritizing sounds will drain a person’s energy, and the constant assault of noise may cause a person’s anxiety level to escalate.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 5:39 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)