Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Cavia_porcellus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2024, 8:44 pm

Hello,

I've been aware of this forum for some time, but this is my first time actually joining. My psychologist thought it might be good for me? Anyway, I'm a 34 y/o woman from Edmonton. Not sure if I was ever diagnosed with Asperger's or if that was something my mom said when I was younger because she thought I should be diagnosed (although she also seemed to think I was doing it on purpose so who knows), but I've gotten official diagnoses for ASD Lv1 and ADHD. A previous psychologist thought Non-Verbal Learning Disorder instead, but he's in the minority on that and that was over a decade ago.

I spent essentially my entire adult life trying very very hard to not be, y'know, *like this* but it turns out it doesn't really work like that and also I'm not good at faking it anyway. I'd rather be happy, I think.

So, uh, hi?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2024, 8:45 pm

Ahoy-hoy.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2024, 9:46 pm

Hi Guinea pig and welcome aboard.
Please check your weapons at the door, and smile for your mugshot .

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2024, 11:38 pm

Welcome, Cavia!

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

peet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Aug 2024, 7:15 am

Hej där, welcome

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 7:50 am

welcome. friendly folks who understand here, take your time and get to know us. Glad you found us.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 9:35 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 1:35 pm

Hi Cavia_porcellus, Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Interesting, one of your psychologist thought you had Non-Verbal Learning Disorder. I never heard that term before so I had to look it up.

According to one article on the internet:

Adults tend to realize something’s going on with these kids around 5th grade. That’s when school becomes less about memorizing and more about applying concepts. For example, kids need to be able to grasp the important idea from a passage or take notes on the main ideas of what a teacher says. NLD makes those skills much harder to learn, but with the right support and strategies kids with NLD can catch up with their peers.

O.K., I think I understand. Around the 3rd and 4th grade, they began to understand I had a problem. But it was in my first year of High School that they actually solved the problem. It was not that I was thinking too slow but rather I was thinking too fast. I would read a sentence and then go onto the next sentence. But after reading the second sentence, I had forgotten what the first sentence said. So I reread it. Off to the third sentence. What was the first two sentences again. So I would spend a lot of time reading, then repeating the process.

But during my first year in High School, they figured out the problem and gave me a solution. It was called Speed Reading. It was a very strange way of learning how to read. They taught me how to read from the inside out. First step was to find the most important word in a sentence. This was key. Then find the next most important word in a sentence and begin to build a paragraph piece by piece from the inside out. Once I learned how to do this, I could read the most difficult scientific articles and understand what they meant.

Anyways, welcome to the site and enjoy.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 3:07 pm

^^^
That's how my mum taught me to read.
I'm pretty sure I got both Asperger's and hEDS from her side of the family.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 4:16 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope it is good for you.

Cavia_porcellus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2024, 4:26 pm

Thanks for the friendly greetings, everyone

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2024, 4:29 pm

Excellent avatar!

An armoured assault cavey.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2024, 9:13 am

Carbonhalo wrote:
^^^
That's how my mum taught me to read.
I'm pretty sure I got both Asperger's and hEDS from her side of the family.

Learning how to read really opened up a lot of doors for me.