Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocelot1962
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2008, 10:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I didn't have a clue to my autism until I was 39 years old, and I have I have no doubt I inherited this from my late father who died in 1980. He had problems just living his life, and I had to admit to myself that I was like him. That was very hard to do, and that is why I stayed in denial until I got my official diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome at age 44.

I've noticed that the other Aspies who didn't learn what they were until late in life have more baggage, and I hope to find others like myself.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

David

lau
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 10:40 pm

Welcome David...

I think I have a small briefcase...

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 10:44 pm

Welcome David

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Mar 2008, 10:52 pm

Welcome here David! Your story doesn't surprise me. I believe there are a lot of undiagnosed aspies. My step grandpa was one no doubt, although never got the label.

My uncle on dad's side (who passed away to suicide at age 18 ) fit many aspergers traits. In retrospect my grandma and my dad believe he was aspergers.

It could also be denial that keeps adults from finding out. On another forum there is a member who keeps asking questions if [insert behavior here] fits with the criteria. I'm trying to tell him get the evaluation... It will give him peace of mind to know there's nothing wrong.

I mean no matter what, you are the same person with or without the aspergers or autistic label. There's no fooling yourself. :lol: That’s what I try to tell people who think they have autism but not ready to get the evaluation done and get the label.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 11:45 pm

Nice to meet you, David. :) 8)

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 12:45 am

Welcome David,

I was about 37 when I was diagnosed. I accepted it pretty much immediately since I'd started suspecting when we discovered it in my son.

By that age, you already have a lot of coping strategies but it's certainly helped me to re-evaluate my life and I feel much better for it.

oblio
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 1 Observatree Close, Pointless Forest, Low Countries

20 Mar 2008, 3:11 am

hi david,

same here & very recently so

age 51 and i am still waiting for the official definite formulation -
upon more than the promised two weeks' admittal for diagnostic
purposes

preliminary diagnosis reads 'signs of AS',
which will have to do for now

i find i am generally much more accepting of myself -
although really frustrated with that 51 going on 52 figure,
which is not the best age to have to start all over
(which i have to), the more or less so as my main
problems have to do with executive dysfunction

so, hi to all other writing members reading this, and THANKS!! !! !! ! :

happening upon the WP community played an immense
part in my getting dxed

may your god forgive you

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 5:51 am

Hi David welcome

And like you I found out late in life, in fact only last year and I am 48. I feel my mother also had who dies last year, that is what got me thinking really. Baggage truck loads 8O :wink: :roll:

CentralFLM
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Mar 2008, 10:21 am

It is an absolute shock to realize you have a form of autism at such an advanced age. I was diagnosed at 32. You think to yourself how can this happen. I feel that being autistic is the main reason why we don't know we are autistic. lol I look back at things I have done in my life, some embarrassing things, and it clearly is autistic behavior. Usually people can't point out that we are autistic, because most people are not educated to the fact that there are degrees. We can talk and communicate so we are not close to being Rain Man. In a way it is a relief, but in another way it is torment because I think how much I have missed out on life and I realize that I'm not going to be able to fully "fix" it. It gives me depression because I also realize my future is going to be much the same as the past. No friendships no matter how hard I try will be what is in store for me. I want friends, but I don't want friends. You know what I mean? I'm sorry you've had to go through with this. Try the gluten free, dairy free diet. It has helped me some.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 11:12 am

Welcome to WP David! :D

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Mar 2008, 3:54 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 4:24 pm

Hi David

Lots of us find out in later life. I was in my early 40s when it was first discussed with my psychotherapist!

So, welcome aboard, hope you find support and friendship with us here :D

Kaleido

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2008, 4:35 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 2:01 am

I self-diagnosed at 45, in shock while reading Thinking In Pictures, and realized my autistic daughter did not appear out of the blue as I assumed. So much quirkiness is now accounted for. And now at 55 I have joined WP and am learning so much more. And oh my goodness, a niece and nephew have it! And an uncle who was an engineer at Boeing. And.... my hermit Dad who can hold a grudge for 72 years. And now I realize why so many people have been uneasy around me. Huh.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 8:29 am

Hi, David!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

ocelot1962
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2008, 1:16 am

I kept my intro brief because I didn't get very much response on other sites I've check out, and then I sign onto WP and :o look at all of these warm-hearted responses! Thank you all for your warm welcome.

At last I've found a community of people like me willing to talk to me. I'm trying to restrain myself as I type this, and the best part is I don't need to explain why. You understand me very well. As fellow aspies/autistics, you know how surrealistically lonely it is. You all know what it's like to not be a square peg who fits in a square hole. You've been teased and bullied your whole lives and made to feel like a mistake who should never have been born. You know what it's like because you've been there. I infer from your introductions that you've lived my life as I've lived yours.

Again, thank you for taking me in.

P.S.

Is "aspie" spelled with a capital "A" as in "Aspie"? I've looked up the rule in Strunk & White's Elements of Sytle, but I'm still not clear on this.