Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2008, 4:47 pm

For one , I hate introductions, but I'll be a good sport.
I'm 48, have AS, am an artist, live in CA, went to SVA in NYC for illustration and used to work freelance, but I found I can't really work well for anyone because of the communication problems I often have had with people, have other disabilities as well, and so I'm on SSI.
So is my daughter, 24, who is dxed ASD, autistic spectrum disorder, but I will just say she's autistic with significant learning disorders, and cognitive troubles. She is quite intelligent and even excels in some areas like literature, but when she gets upset or stressed, she won't talk. She just closes up like a clam. She's also very much into certain anime, like Fruits Basket, Rurouni Kenshin and Bleach. (So am I, actually) She also loves to wear black and look a bit Goth, but doesn't have the Goth personality, she is too cheerful, I think. ;)
My son, 18, has moderate to severe ADHD, a horrific temper when he's backed into a corner and pushed too much, and some degree of Aspie-ness, since he used to line everything up in long, even rows as a toddler, gets stressed when I do something like cut my hair, hates last minute stuff and big changes, and is very strongly opinionated on many things.

We are a generally happy and eccentric family.

My interests are dragons, (always has been, always will be) as a kid I wanted to study paleontology, and still have a lot if interest in natural history. Also I'm obsessed with Vanagon campers. I can't afford one right now, but I'm hoping to enjoy driving and owning one some time before I die. I love being on the road, and so try to get a road trip in at least once a year, or thereabouts, and I'd live in an RV full time if I could.

I'm also a "simply Biblical" type Christian, and have been one for nearly 30 years. The things I'm working on the most in my life is being more patient, controlling my horrific temper, and getting past my prejudices against self satisfied, snooty Yuppie mindsets.

Aah. Well, I'm reaching the end of my comfort zone, so that's it for now. I feel like I'm in a fishbowl at the moment. *sweatdrops*

Anyway, hi, everyone!

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 4:49 pm

Welcome Tetraquartz! :)

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2008, 4:51 pm

That was quick, thanks very much!
:lol:

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 5:04 pm

Nice to meet you, Tetraquartz. :) 8)

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2008, 5:16 pm

Thanks! That's a One Piece avatar, isn't it? I'm not into that series, personally, but I have an online friend who is very much into it. :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 5:55 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2008, 9:16 pm

Thank you... 8O at your post count...

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 9:46 pm

Welcome to the forum Tetraquartz!! :D

Yes his post count is quite impressive isn't it

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 9:56 pm

You might like my oldest son's blog: confessions of a quirky christian artist http://joshuaforeman.blogspot.com/

He's basically NT who was raised by an odd mother, has one odd brother and two even odder sisters so he is quite familiar with the spectrum. I loved his post about making art projects for Sunday School.

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2008, 10:13 pm

Thanks, Social_Fantom! :)

Hi lelia. Thanks for the link. I had a quick look, and will look more in depth later, his art does look interesting! Rather Gothic in places.

Brings me to meander a thought in here, now that I think of it, I don't do much in the way of religious art per se, though I am familiar with Catholic inspired art, being that the Catholic church could pay for such things over the centuries. I grew up in Europe, namely Spain, and traveled with my parents throughout Europe, and was exposed a great deal to most of the museums and their art therein.
FWIW, if I may digress just a bit further, crosses, crucifixes, and other things that have been called "Christian art" in the art history books, should, IMO, be called religious inspired art, or specifically speaking Catholic, or Coptic, or Greek Orthodox art, instead. :)

Edit: I realize I didn't add that it's quite another thing to be both Christian and an artist, so the term "Christian artist" is not misleading. :D

Last edited by Tetraquartz on 04 Apr 2008, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 10:16 pm

Tetraquartz wrote:
Thanks! That's a One Piece avatar, isn't it? I'm not into that series, personally, but I have an online friend who is very much into it. :)

One Piece is cool and better than Naruto in my opinion.

I'm living and breathing Monkey D. Luffy. :)

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2008, 10:19 pm

Who's Monkey D. Luffy? Yes, I suppose I can go Google it, but thought I ask anyway. 8)

Edit: I looked it up on Wiki. I remember seeing him on a cartoon episode one Saturday morning a while back.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 9:52 am

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 10:57 am

Dragons :D

Welcome home.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 11:33 am

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Tetraquartz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2008, 1:12 pm

larsen, Kaleido, richie, thanks so much for the welcomes!

I haven't met very many proclaimed Aspies-Auties IRL, (self proclaimed meaning I know a lot of Aspies who either don't know they are or don't want to admit it) it's nice to feel like I'm in a place where I can be me, and not be pushed out, ignored, ostracized or belittled because of who and what I am. And to know at many levels that I'm not defective and do deserve good things in life.
Gives me hope, you know?
I hope to grow more into the real me, and not so much trying to emulate NT-ness, which has caused me a great deal of stress and takes energy away from my true capabilities. I nearly lost those abilities because of stress, depression and was basically existing waiting for my life to be over. I am thinking that I can get my true self back, and be more productive in my own way... And hope in turn to be encouraging, as well.

Flowery speech, I know, but I mean it.

:D