Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ThatGuy
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Apr 2008, 8:25 pm

Hi!

So, like the title says, I think I might be an Aspie. I'll be seeing my GP soon for a referral to a psych, but I'm not going to mention why. I'm already on anti-depressants so asking for a referral won't seem weird at all.

I had originally self-diagnosed myself with schizoid personality disorder (there's a link to Wikipedia if you're interested). That tends to overlap with most of the Aspie social issues, which at this stage of my life are my biggest issues.

I have a physical disability, so I'm technically classed as Special Education, although I never needed a spec of help academically (not that there's anything wrong with that). I did exceedingly well in elementary school, then settled comfortably into "well above average" in high school.

My elementary school didn't have much of a Special Ed department, and the only student with an ASD was a younger boy who I think was autistic, who I saw maybe three times in total.

Anyway, I was always asocial. I just had no interest in the other kids, because I wasn't interested in playing. I used to watch a lot of TV back then, but I'd mostly just pretend to watch while I disappeared inside my head. However, i did have a set pattern of shows I would watch which would last me from just after I got home until dinner. Sometimes the various channels would change their schedules, and I would feel upset that this arbitrary and seemingly useless act had thrown my plans off.

There was more than that in terms of Aspie habits, but it's mostly boring, standard stuff. I had a couple of Things (I prefer calling them that rather than obsessions or interests), the most obvious that I remember at the time being weather/meteorology, though it eventually died. I also gradually realized that my behaviour was vastly different from that of the other kids, and I eventually learned to hide it.

At school I generally paid attention, or pretended to while I daydreamed. Either way, I absorbed information. The fact that I had a physical disability worked to my advantage too; I wasn't forced to give presentations, was allowed to work alone on group work, and wasn't questioned when I decided not to bother going out at recess. It probably helped my Aspie traits fly under the radar.

There was one instance where it really hit me that I just didn't 'get' the whole social thing. Someone walked by and said "what's up?" To this day I still don't know how to respond when someone says that out of the blue. I can answer it in the context of a conversation, but not when it's just random like that. I mean, is it a greeting? a question? WHAT?

By the time I left elementary school I had blocked all that from my memory and established myself as the generic "really smart loner" type.

I went to a high school with a large Special Ed department, although I don't remember seeing any people who I knew were Aspies. I did learn of it though, but basically my understanding was that it was like "light autism" with an all-consuming focus on a single narrow subject. I figured it would be something incredibly obvious and easily spotted.

It was only a few days ago I randomly decided to look at it again. At first I dismissed it. Then I thought of my childhood, and all the pieces just sort of snapped together.

That worries me though, because it almost seems too simple. I fear I might be suffering a confirmation bias. I'm also worried because I learned to hide most of this pretty well, so I don't know if I would come across as an Aspie. Then from that stems the fear that I might be subconsciously creating something that isn't there.

I also know that my family would fight this. I'm hoping they don't need to be involved with the process, and if they must be then I'm probably not going to go through with it. Really, I only want a professional opinion one way or the other so that I'll know if my theory is right or not. The problem is that I really do think that it is.

So, since I suck at fluidly ending posts, I might as well abruptly shift into question mode:

Once one is referred to a psychiatrist, how does the diagnosis process usually go? Should I tell them my theory, or just (oh God...) go with the flow and see what they come up with? Is there some kind of test that might avoid my psychological biases?

Oh, and do you think whoever it is that I see will think I'm too verbose?

atmosphere88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2008, 8:30 pm

welcome to wrong planet

lau
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 8:41 pm

ThatGuy wrote:
...Oh, and do you think whoever it is that I see will think I'm too verbose?
No.

:)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 8:44 pm

Nice to meet you, ThatGuy. :) 8)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 10:09 pm

what was the question again?...;) welcome to WP (that's not White Phosphorus or Willy Peter either...;)

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2008, 1:41 am

Hello!

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:42 am

whos thatguy? :lol:

welcome i am deathchibi

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:48 am

Welcome!

*Waits patiently for Tim Tex to drop by*

Last edited by gismo on 09 Apr 2008, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

crimebabe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 7:48 am

hey that guy
welcome to wrong planet

to answer your question

once you have been reffered to a psych you can tell him/her what your theory is and why you think you might be aspie

then answer any questions they might have and let it go from there

i dont think there are any tests

hope this helps huni

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 10:44 am

Welcome ThatGuy!:)

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 11:07 am

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

ThatGuy
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2008, 1:56 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

I forgot to mention I took that Aspie quiz thing. My neurodiverse score was 146 of 200, while neurotypical was 59 of 200. I could very likely get diagnoses of social phobia, Asperger's, and OCD apparently. Still, I'm not inclined to put too much stock in online tests.

I had actually planned to not mention my theory. I figured it might make me look as if I was pushing for a diagnosis. I was planning on just describing the symptoms as I saw them before I realized they more or less fit with AS, and see if (s)he comes to the same conclusion.

My biggest fear is that I'll be seen as trying to lead toward a specific diagnosis.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:03 pm

You are very welcome!

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Apr 2008, 4:01 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image