Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

kansei
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Apr 2008, 5:00 pm

worst... thread subject... ever!

but whatever, it works. I'm new.

umm.. I'm a college student in Rochester, NY. I graduate this summer and will be getting as far away from Rochester as possible in this country --Phoenix, AZ :)

I was diagnosed when I was a junior or senior in high school but never sought treatment. Had a lot of ... trouble my first year at college and was treated for acute depression and "social anxiety disorder", among other "disorders".

honestly I don't believe in most of these disorders, I'm honestly not sure why I even put up with the treatment (lots of pills) for so long, as they weren't really helping. I quit the highest dosage of anti depressants I had ever taken cold turkey June 2007 and have been free of that crap ever since.

Even though it's now spring, it's pretty nice out, the birds are chirping, etc --I just feel like I'm relapsing into a rut and I'm worried that maybe the pills were helping just by getting rid of the physical pain of anxiety. About a month ago I just remembered (the human mind and it's awesome power of repression) my asperger's diagnosis back in high school, so I figure a community full of people like me might be able to help me 'fix' my life.

I just have such a hard time associating with other human beings and forming "friendships". My freshman year of college I made a lot of "friends", but I kinda always felt like an outsider still.. my second year no one I knew got on campus housing, so we all went our separate ways. I had three roommates, all people I had lived with freshman year. It's now down to three of us in a house a couple years later.. they both have girlfriends and are always not around, so I'm kinda just here alone most of the time. I don't have any friends other than my two roommates in Rochester. My closest friends (from high school) are all at home 6 hours from here >_<.

That's not to say I haven't tried connecting with people here. I'm really into cars (racing them, modifying them, and of course in general driving them) so when I got to Rochester I joined a local car forum. I went to some meets, met some people, made a couple acquaintances.. but I just had to stop going on the forum because of trolls on there attacking me and giving me unbearable anxiety (this while I was still on meds). It basically came down to people literally telling me I wasn't welcome on the site becaucse I was too egocentric --but really I'm not at all, I really don't like me why would I want to make it all about me (aside from say.. a thread like this)?? It basically boils down to I posted a LOT on the forum and I think people felt I was around too much. I'd answer people's questions and do what I could to help but my experience centers around a single car brand (see my web site it's on my profile) so I'd have to explain things in terms of what I know.. most cars are all the same so it's not a big deal.. well I thought it wasn't a big deal. Others did.

It has happened on a couple forums too, not just that one. Basically the way it goes is the people who harrass me and cause all sorts of terrible anxiety are people who haven't actually met me in person. I'm involved with a car club based in Toronto Ontario.. being as it's a 3 hour drive each way I've only been to 4 or 5 events, but all the people I've met at the events are great. I think maybe once people meet me they realize I'm just a really quiet nervous guy who makes up for the quietness by being very active and talkative online.

ok this is getting far too long I'll just end it now by asking.. how do you guys cope with this stuff? I don't want to go back on meds, it made life way worse (not to mention killed my GPA.. I've been on dean's list ever since I stopped)

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 5:03 pm

Welcome kansei! :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 6:05 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 6:23 pm

Humm, Rochester you say? Been years and it seemed like I got dragged to it, every weekend and holiday and summer when I was a kid, I just wanted to stay home. But, forced to do the relatives thing, ya know. Greece, Irondequoit, Pittsford and a little here and there areas of it. Haven't been there in years now and it sure has changed. It's not the Kodak town it use to be, maybe that's good, I don't know. I'm about 2- 3 hours south of you. Just over the boarder from Elmira.

Doing the med thing but not for AS and it can be rough. Took a while to get this one, that's an understatement, but worth it. You got lucky on the cold turkey, please don't do it again.

Glad you found WP. And welcome home.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Apr 2008, 7:41 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

kansei
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Apr 2008, 8:01 pm

thanks for the warm welcome guys!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2008, 8:02 pm

Nice to meet you, kansei. :) 8)

kansei
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Apr 2008, 11:06 pm

postpaleo wrote:
Humm, Rochester you say? Been years and it seemed like I got dragged to it, every weekend and holiday and summer when I was a kid, I just wanted to stay home. But, forced to do the relatives thing, ya know. Greece, Irondequoit, Pittsford and a little here and there areas of it. Haven't been there in years now and it sure has changed. It's not the Kodak town it use to be, maybe that's good, I don't know. I'm about 2- 3 hours south of you. Just over the boarder from Elmira.

Doing the med thing but not for AS and it can be rough. Took a while to get this one, that's an understatement, but worth it. You got lucky on the cold turkey, please don't do it again.

Glad you found WP. And welcome home.

You have my condolences for being forced to visit the slum that is Rochester. Sure Pittsford, Perinton, Fairport, East Rochester, Brighton, and the east end of the city are relatively nice, but there's just so much crime, poverty, unemployment, etc here. It's gross. I'm here for college, graduating this summer and them I'm out of here for good! I'm moving to Phoenix, AZ :)

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2008, 1:40 am

Hello!