1st post on here... introduction of a depressed new "as

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

swoody1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2008, 7:22 pm

Hi,

So I have found out that all of the problems that have followed me through my life have stemmed from Aspergers just two days ago. On one hand its nice to know that I really AM different and don't just feel that I am, but on the other its depressing to know that it will stay with me for life, and all I can learn to do is cope. It seems that my life has just been a long series of trials with short, brief periods of happiness in between.

I have SAD, ADD, OCD, ODD, and depression, and have had it for most of my life. I have been taking anti-depressants and anti-anxiety agents, bouncing around from one to the other when they eventually poop out on me (which it seems that they always do). Last year in October I tried to commit suicide by ODing on everything I could get my hands on in the medicine cabinet and almost succeeded... this was due to finding out that my wife at the time (I got married in August of 05) had cheated on me. So, I spent 4 days in the hospital recovering, lost my job, and got divorced in January of this year. I have been bouncing from job to job FOREVER, and feel that I am a right-brained person living in a left-brained world... I am excellent at music and visual art, but it seems that society doesn't reward these type of people with a salary to sustain ones's self.

I have had brief periods in my life when I have made alot of friends and been very sociable, but eventually my AS always catches up with me and people turn their backs on me. I am now living back at home at 26, and am trying to figure out what to do with my life. So I guess its good that I found this place to get some answers... so just thought I'd introduce myself to the forum...

Woody

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 7:23 pm

Welcome swoody1!:)

kip
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 7:32 pm

Welcome to the world of Aspergers.

No, it won't ever be cured. Personally, I'm not so sure I woulf want a cure even if there was one. I love my life. I see the world the way a child sees it, innocent and naive. I see beauty where other people would only see dispair. I care about people equally, regardless of race or creed, and this has made me a better friend. I am loyal to the end.

And all those traits are AS traits that my mother recognised as missing fom the world and nurtered in me. She doesn't accept that what I am is AS, but she does know I am different, and she taught me to use that to my advantage.

Don't ever think of AS as a disability. It's not. It is an amazing and unique way of seeing the world.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 7:42 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

swoody1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2008, 7:44 pm

I agree... I see the world in much the same way as you do... things I see (especially in nature) appear more interesting and more rich, and music seems much more rich to me than "regular" people... I only wish that I could learn how to be socially capable of making and keeping friends and generally looked upon as the "life of the party" so to speak... maybe not to that extreme, but you know what I mean:)

swoody1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Apr 2008, 7:44 pm

I agree... I see the world in much the same way as you do... things I see (especially in nature) appear more interesting and more rich, and music seems much more rich to me than "regular" people... I only wish that I could learn how to be socially capable of making and keeping friends and generally looked upon as the "life of the party" so to speak... maybe not to that extreme, but you know what I mean:)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 7:45 pm

Nice to meet you, swoody1. :) 8)