Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Linesman2008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 2:16 pm

hello everyone, my name is Dan and Im 26...

I do not know if I have AS or not, but looking into it I think I may have. I seem to suffer more with social aspects, im quite good at remembering things and can be quite obsessive about certain topics (mainly landrovers in my case, along with one or two other things that I would say are lesser obsessions). I was diagnosed with depression but never really treated properly, I find it virtually impossible to make friends, unless its people who share the same interests...but they never seem to become meaningful relationships if that makes sense.
I was always a difficult child apparently and I think my parenst were pleased when I moved out...I think they got me some treatment for hyperactivity or something when I was little. I know most people find me a bit...weird...like at work nobody ever comes and talks to me I have to go speak to them...and i find often they can be quite, well, not condescending, but they trat me like a young child I suppose.

I'm not sure what else to look for, most of what I read seems to cover the above, obsessive behaviour and poor social skills...coupled with depression. Am I on the right lines do you think?

Thanks for reading.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:27 pm

Welcome Linesman2008!:)

Linesman2008

09 Apr 2008, 3:18 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
Welcome Linesman2008!:)

Thanks very much.

railjunky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Apr 2008, 3:56 pm

Hi Dan Im paul, 25 year old aspie. i was diagnosed at the age of 14 & know a little bit about it. You definetly show some classic signs of AS & i would say you defenatly have it. don't worry about it too much becuse it's not as bad as it may sound & it dous not make you a bad person. you should try & talk to other aspies, join aspie forums & stuff like that. even if you feel that you can't cope with it you can because i use to suffer badly from it but now i cope very well with it. if you need help you find it on the web. last thing DONT FORGET YOU ARE NOT ALONE. WE ASPIES ARE A STRONG EVER GROWING COMUNITY.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Apr 2008, 3:58 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:09 pm

Hello from London :D

Hang out here for a while and do a few quizzes you can find them at Autism Research http://www.autismresearchcentre.com/tests/default.asp

Welcome

Kaleido

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:53 pm

Nice to meet you, Dan. :) 8)

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2008, 6:04 pm

railjunky wrote:
Hi Dan Im paul, 25 year old aspie. i was diagnosed at the age of 14 & know a little bit about it. You definetly show some classic signs of AS & i would say you defenatly have it. don't worry about it too much becuse it's not as bad as it may sound & it dous not make you a bad person. you should try & talk to other aspies, join aspie forums & stuff like that. even if you feel that you can't cope with it you can because i use to suffer badly from it but now i cope very well with it. if you need help you find it on the web. last thing DONT FORGET YOU ARE NOT ALONE. WE ASPIES ARE A STRONG EVER GROWING COMUNITY.

Don't be so hasty, you never know by a description if someone is anything. For example a girl you are talking to online could indefinately be a male. Anyway, I suppose a formal diagnosis is in order. Try to get an appointment set up...they usually last six to eight hours... :?

Linesman2008

12 Apr 2008, 2:36 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone, not sure about a diagnosis, whats involved with that then?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 4:40 pm

If the depression side of things is bothering you, you may find it useful to mention Asperger's syndrome to your GP. He should be able to refer you on. I went that route... and it was a moderately drawn-out process, but I learned things about myself, and am still doing so. It's fun.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 5:16 pm

Hi Linesman2008, welcome to WP, being into Land rovers is kind of cool, I am into 4x4's, and trucks

Hodor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 6:00 pm

Hi Linesman, welcome to WP :) Some of the things you described do seem AS-like, but those things alone don't mean you definitely have it. You could take a few online quizzes at Autism Research, but they don't always come up with the right result. An official diagnosis is useful in the UK so it would definitely be worth seeing your GP about it.

Microban wrote:
Anyway, I suppose a formal diagnosis is in order. Try to get an appointment set up...they usually last six to eight hours... :?

Not in the Yew Kay, they don't. Diagnoses do take bloody ages to come through, though.

Linesman2008

13 Apr 2008, 1:58 am

I did an online test and it came out with a very strong probablity of my having AS. It was sent to me by a friend who also quite probably had the condition. I guess if it was the case for me it would explain a lot, but its always difficult as of course its a matter of having certain "pointers" rather than a concrete "must have x y and z" if I understand correctly?

I would say the depression is the biggest issue, but I think it is caused by an inability to really understand people or to hold conversations properly, which means I am alone a lot...but I suppose I'm also quite frightened by people, again probably wth the same cause.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 8:41 am

Hi, Dan!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

Linesman2008

13 Apr 2008, 10:57 am

Thanks. The only difficulty I have is keping up with so many threads, Im not sure if it just the forum layout butI find it hard to read.

Oh, I was thinking too, is it true that AS can show a sensitivity to bright light? I have to squint on a cloudy day and wear sunglasses when its just normal bright. Could this be an As symptom or am I confused?

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Dan!! :D