Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

hollybee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Apr 2008, 4:55 pm

Hey, I'm just saying hello! I'm NT (and from the UK) as you guys call it but my boyfriend has AS. I first came here to get a bit of advice in how to help him/us in our relationship. If any of you guys ever need an NT girl's perspective though, feel free to ask! You all seem like lovely people x

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:04 pm

Nice to meet you, hollybee. :) 8)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 5:25 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ZiiP
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2008, 11:20 pm

Welcome Hollybee!

You have come to the right place. My personal advice is that you always approach him from the front if you want to speak with him about matters that are important. This may not apply at home, when there are no other people or attention-grabbers (computer, TV, etc) present. I don't know about him, but if I am approached from any other direction, I have a tendency to not interrupt my thoughts, hear what the person have to say, even answer their questions, and then continue as nothing happened. This is not good if you are seeking to have a conversation. People around me are considerate enought to wait silently in my field of vision til' I interrupt my thoughts and turn towards them. Please note that this may be one of my personal quirks, and may not apply to your boyfriend.

For a person with Asperger's, communication in general and conversations about important matters in particular, are extremely important to have clearly separated from everything else. We do not distinguish the forest from the trees, nor smalltalk from the important conversations.

I am curious to know if you ever noticed any communication difficulties between the two of you.
I congratulate you on a successfully establishing a relationship. Hope it lasts!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 5:36 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 May 2008, 12:06 am

I though it was gonna be about Paula Deen

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 2:39 am

Hey hollybee

You've probably noticed already, most of the guys here need all the NT girl's perspective they can get.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

10 May 2008, 3:43 am

Hi hollybee,

welcome to WP.

I'm no relationship expert, but I know of something that may be of use...
If you need to talk with your bf about any personal matters, it may be easier for him to do so on msn or other instant messaging service. That way, there are just words and none of the body language and tone of voice to try and interpret at the same time.
Also, don't "skip around" the concern that you may have. If you want something, or what to know something, then just ask. Don't expect him to know what your thinking.

I hope this helps.

I hope you enjoy posting here.