New to Wrong Planet; not so new to the world of Asperger's

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Adam917
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2009, 5:04 pm

Hello. I am new to this forum but knew of Asperger's since 2005 & was diagnosed by my university in December 2007 (yes, dates, times, & numeric stuff are my 'specialty').

Like many 'Aspies' as we're known as that are around my age, I too have social issues especially when I wish to take things beyond friendship. I have about a dozen friends from childhood through my teenage years that I usually made via interests I had at various times. Most of my friendships are '1-on-1' (we know each other but they don't usually know my other friends). I have found I best communicate & work better in one on one settings rather than in a team or group setting. Besides people who know me well, I find I tend to communicate better with people much older (I'd say at least 7 years) than I am as opposed to my peers. I get along better with people with international backgrounds or at least interests, as our world is large & it's nice to get to know it beyond one's home. I have been seen as quite intelligent for my age & background by my peers as well as adults.

I was mis-diagnosed in my childhood (early 1990s) as something ADHD-related. I guess Asperger's wasn't very known yet. I only heard of it in 2005 when the mother of a good friend of mine believed I had that condition by my recitation of a number of dates & times certain events occured in my life, such as the date I was last over their place or the date I first met them. She considered it to be a gift but I know now that Asperger's has negative stuff too, and most of it is actually rooted in society & culture.

I wrote this on my BlackBerry Curve 8320 (I'm big on technology as well) in the Opera Mini v4.2 browser, so I am a wireless user. Does anyone know the mobile version of this site? I seen an article on here earlier that was dated sometime in 2005 that mentioned about a WAP version of this site existing.

I'm pleased to be a member of this like-minded on-line community!

:-)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 5:12 pm

Welcome to WP!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 5:53 pm

hello and welcome home!

Merle

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 6:05 pm

howdy.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 7:01 pm

Welcome aboard Wrong Planet, fellow-traveler Adam917.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2009, 7:14 pm

Adam917 wrote:
I wrote this on my BlackBerry Curve 8320 (I'm big on technology as well) in the Opera Mini v4.2 browser, so I am a wireless user. Does anyone know the mobile version of this site? I seen an article on here earlier that was dated sometime in 2005 that mentioned about a WAP version of this site existing.

I don't think most forums have mobile versions, since posting to forums via a mobile device doesn't seem very practical, and when it is, the device can usually load the full version at a decent speed :P. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, may I ask what's the point in posting from a BlackBerry when you're on a wireless network? Or are you at a Starbucks or something? It just seems logical to use the computer xD. Or do you mean you're using EDGE networking or something?
I'd say welcome to the forums, but I've only just got here too(about 3 days ago). However, if it's not looked down upon, and a fairly normal thing to do, 'Welcome to the forums Adam!' :P.
EMZ=]

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 8:17 pm

Nice to meet you, Adam917. :) 8)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2009, 9:38 pm

I do all the posting on an 8-year-old Pentium with Windows 2k (Firefox 3, tho..;)

welcome to the place.

Adam917
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2009, 9:46 pm

Emor wrote:
Adam917 wrote:

I don't think most forums have mobile versions, since posting to forums via a mobile device doesn't seem very practical, and when it is, the device can usually load the full version at a decent speed :P. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, may I ask what's the point in posting from a BlackBerry when you're on a wireless network? Or are you at a Starbucks or something? It just seems logical to use the computer xD. Or do you mean you're using EDGE networking or something?
I'd say welcome to the forums, but I've only just got here too(about 3 days ago). However, if it's not looked down upon, and a fairly normal thing to do, 'Welcome to the forums Adam!' :P.
EMZ=]
I mean EDGE/GPRS (and 3G when I'm using my Nokia N95). I almost am never in a WiFi area so cellular network is my only way of being on-line mobilly.

Catwoman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2009, 10:41 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet, Adam917!