New from Illinois (Chicagoland area), USA

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

cantexactlysay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2009, 1:55 am

Here's my intro. I'm from Illinois, USA, 25 years old, somewhere along the line diagnosed as "semi autistic" growing up, not exactly sure what that means (maybe PDD-NOS? been awhile). I was also diagnosed with things ranging from ADD to emotionally disturbed and some other more graphic diagnoses, which honestly, I dismiss as labels of convenience anymore. As a baby, I showed at least one early sign of autism in the form of echolalia, which I guess excluded me from being in the AS subgroup of the autism spectrum, though for all intents and purposes, I seem to fall right in line with how many aspies describe themselves.

As far as I can remember, I had different types of therapy ranging from speech therapy to motor therapy. I also suffered the traditional being bullied, picked on, and it seemed like the even the most uncool kids could grasp a fleeting moment of coolness by making fun of me. To my memory, it was predicted that I would always need some form of assistance my whole life, I would fail out of college, and probably be unemployed the rest of my life. However, my college years were the years where I finally started figuring out who I am and how I can interact with the world, and honestly, I've come much further in these short years than any predicted (or dare I suggest, hoped) that I would come. All the therapy and assistance I received as a youth seemed more like abuse than help, as I always just wanted to be left alone.

Now, I'm a college graduate, but I'm actually back in college right now switching my field of study over to accounting, which I hope will lead to a greater career outlook for me in this economy, as the accounting work I've done has been relatively fun. I've also found that though I try my hardest to interact successfully with others, I can't exist in a career where people skills are an absolute must. I have them when I need them, but being a "people person", or throwing my neurotypical switch on, as I call it, burns a ton of energy.

Just some random blurbs about me, but since I've been slowly emerging from the closet as a citizen of the wrong planet (a trademark I guarded with my heart and soul for too long), I figured I'd give a shout out.

I'm also trying to make my mark as a working musician since I'm underemployed at the moment, just another random tidbit.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2009, 12:31 pm

Welcome aboard the Wrong Planet, new-citizen and fellow-traveler, cantexactlysay. Here's wishing you all the WP best in your accounting studies and also with making your mark in the music world.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Feb 2009, 7:26 pm

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

cantexactlysay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2009, 4:29 pm

Thanks for the warm receptions! I have to say, living myself in the "real world" of NT, trying to earn a paycheck (which was more than anyone expected of me, guess that's a good sign), and beating my rear end off every day to appear normal in a way which others completely take for granted (doesn't help that the PR duties seem to get dumped on me wherever I work), just browsing through these forums has been a light of sensibility in a dark world of nonsense. I look forward to participating more often in these forums.

Life in the wrong world is a challenge for me every day, but I enjoy challenges more or less, and I think there are two types of people in the world, those who quit on the stool once the challenger (the NT world) turns up the heat, and those who step up and fight harder when the opponent fights harder. The world may not ever appreciate what I fight, but it just brings all the bigger smile to my face when I know what I'm fighting and what I'm beating, especially now that I'm fighting with my autism and not against it.

Anyways, probably about time I shaddup and start listening / lurking on these forums some more.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2009, 10:40 pm

cantexactlysay wrote:
Here's my intro. I'm from Illinois, USA, 25 years old, somewhere along the line diagnosed as "semi autistic" growing up, not exactly sure what that means (maybe PDD-NOS? been awhile). I was also diagnosed with things ranging from ADD to emotionally disturbed and some other more graphic diagnoses, which honestly, I dismiss as labels of convenience anymore. As a baby, I showed at least one early sign of autism in the form of echolalia, which I guess excluded me from being in the AS subgroup of the autism spectrum, though for all intents and purposes, I seem to fall right in line with how many aspies describe themselves.

As far as I can remember, I had different types of therapy ranging from speech therapy to motor therapy. I also suffered the traditional being bullied, picked on, and it seemed like the even the most uncool kids could grasp a fleeting moment of coolness by making fun of me. To my memory, it was predicted that I would always need some form of assistance my whole life, I would fail out of college, and probably be unemployed the rest of my life. However, my college years were the years where I finally started figuring out who I am and how I can interact with the world, and honestly, I've come much further in these short years than any predicted (or dare I suggest, hoped) that I would come. All the therapy and assistance I received as a youth seemed more like abuse than help, as I always just wanted to be left alone.

Now, I'm a college graduate, but I'm actually back in college right now switching my field of study over to accounting, which I hope will lead to a greater career outlook for me in this economy, as the accounting work I've done has been relatively fun. I've also found that though I try my hardest to interact successfully with others, I can't exist in a career where people skills are an absolute must. I have them when I need them, but being a "people person", or throwing my neurotypical switch on, as I call it, burns a ton of energy.

Just some random blurbs about me, but since I've been slowly emerging from the closet as a citizen of the wrong planet (a trademark I guarded with my heart and soul for too long), I figured I'd give a shout out.

I'm also trying to make my mark as a working musician since I'm underemployed at the moment, just another random tidbit.

Sup man, accounting is a great field to get into! keep working at it. lack of social skills kills me at work - no matter how good a job i do my manager/colleagues/clients still do not like me for the most part. that really sucks but it's manageable. i learn talking skills at work and take life one little step at a time.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2009, 10:52 am

:D :D :D Hello! Welcome to wrongplanet! Everyone is really nice here. :)

cantexactlysay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2009, 4:49 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
Sup man, accounting is a great field to get into! keep working at it. lack of social skills kills me at work - no matter how good a job i do my manager/colleagues/clients still do not like me for the most part. that really sucks but it's manageable. i learn talking skills at work and take life one little step at a time.

What I've always found strange about accounting is the hype surrounding "Big Four" experience. I understand Big Four tends to get larger clients than smaller firms, but I don't see how working for an extra huge firm makes me a better accountant than working for a smaller firm. Who knows, maybe it's an NT thing.

ShadesOfMe wrote:

I've noticed that I fit in here better than any other forum. I've found though I may not agree with each individual opinion expressed on this forum, I have a great respect for the community here, and I hope I can earn the same.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2009, 9:50 pm

cantexactlysay wrote:
Learning2Survive wrote:

What I've always found strange about accounting is the hype surrounding "Big Four" experience. I understand Big Four tends to get larger clients than smaller firms, but I don't see how working for an extra huge firm makes me a better accountant than working for a smaller firm. Who knows, maybe it's an NT thing.

ShadesOfMe wrote:

I've noticed that I fit in here better than any other forum. I've found though I may not agree with each individual opinion expressed on this forum, I have a great respect for the community here, and I hope I can earn the same.

sry to take you off topic. i see you like aviation. do you like radio control airplanes?

cantexactlysay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2009, 12:21 am

Amazingly, I could never get into it so much. I graduated with a degree in aviation administration (essentially airline / airport managment), but airlines and aviation firms in general aren't exactly keen on hiring any staff which doesn't work in sales. I do have a private pilot certificate, and I've thought about at least going back to sport pilot flying if I have the spare cash. Being a bush pilot in Alaska would be extremely cool I think, perhaps one of my PDD obsessions.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 1:08 am

cantexactlysay wrote:
Amazingly, I could never get into it so much. I graduated with a degree in aviation administration (essentially airline / airport managment), but airlines and aviation firms in general aren't exactly keen on hiring any staff which doesn't work in sales. I do have a private pilot certificate, and I've thought about at least going back to sport pilot flying if I have the spare cash. Being a bush pilot in Alaska would be extremely cool I think, perhaps one of my PDD obsessions.

you can apply to airports and to private airfields. there are so many jobs there - checking bags, doing security, paper work stuff, janitors - hey someone has to clean after the passengers too right?, i also noticed there are a many men working the airfield - moving trucks, refueling, there are the mechanics too, and flight attendants, and god knows what. these places are full of jobs. plus you could apply to small airfields where aviation enthusiasts take classes. maybe you could do simple airfield operation maintenance. you probably know better. all i'm saying if you keep applying, life may surprise and it is even possible that you could get a job there. just keep applying. keep calling the human resources. keep handing your resume's to random people you meet and asking to give it to their boss. (yes, my dad's company just hired someone who did that for an entry level position. this guy came up to my dad out of nowhere and said "hi my name is john. please give my resume to your supervisor if you get a chance." :)

cantexactlysay
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2009, 7:05 pm

I've tried, and I'm stuck in a sandwich of being overeducated and / or underexperienced. I like the accounting track that I'm on though, and as I say, airlines still need accountants. 8)