Social structure of wrongplanet.net itself

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 12:46 pm

How the admins system works? I mean everybody above simple user.

How do you become a moderator? How are they policed? How are they dismissed? Other ranks other then mods? Is there a constitution thing? Internal politics? etc....

Whats the role of Alex in the system. He micromanages, or he's layed back? Its a monarchy, or anarchy? Other important people? etc.....

I want to know more then just the rules.

(i don't want to become a mod, i just want to understand the social pluming here)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

why do you want to understand the "social pluming" here?

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 1:21 pm

Its against the rules?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

did i say it was against the rules?

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 1:46 pm

no one is answering?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 1:53 pm

My understanding is the admins include Alex and Toggle (something like that) and are rarely seen
Mods are nominated by other moderators or admins and probably require Alex's final approval
There is a hidden forum where they can discuss issues, I assume, and where they can possibly debate over decisions if they are not unanimous
There is no other rank besides mod or admin, though I have thought that maybe elected "arbitrators" might come in handy for resolving major personal disputes without having to ban or suspend parties

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 2:16 pm

Vigilans wrote:
My understanding is the admins include Alex and Toggle (something like that) and are rarely seen
Mods are nominated by other moderators or admins and probably require Alex's final approval
There is a hidden forum where they can discuss issues, I assume, and where they can possibly debate over decisions if they are not unanimous
There is no other rank besides mod or admin, though I have thought that maybe elected "arbitrators" might come in handy for resolving major personal disputes without having to ban or suspend parties

Thats too much speculation.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 2:16 pm

Vigilans wrote:
vermont savant is elected that for autism politics and PPR forum

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt174575.html

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 2:31 pm

It has already been adressed but here we go again:
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:46 pm Post subject: Social structure of wrongplanet.net itself

How do you become a moderator?
Several people that are trusted by alex(the website owner) have to recommend a certain person to him and he may consider making said person a moderator.
This people know who they are so dont try to spam his email because its quite likely to lead you to trouble rather than becoming a moderator

How are they policed?
Any complaints can be directed to other moderators or alex. He considers the situation and sees if theres any need to intervene/do something
How are they dismissed?
Alex notices that a certain person is no longer doing the work properly and dismisses that person.

Other ranks other then mods? Is there a constitution thing? Internal politics? etc....

There are three admins that I know of: Alex, TOGGI3 and sliqua-jcooter.
Internal politics involve keeping an eye on posts and seeing which posts are conflicting with the rules then contacting whoever made those posts. After repeated times a person is usually warned and if they refuse to listen to the warnings banned.

Only alex knows what his role on the system is. One of us could try to make a guess but he could prove us wrong since he has never stated what his role is and it changes by time.
Right now he says he is working on a new forum design and your guess on how involved on keeping an eye of this website is just as good as mine.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

Quantum_Immortal wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Not really, I have recall posts by different moderators mentioning these things

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 3:38 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Quantum_Immortal wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Not really, I have recall posts by different moderators mentioning these things

You are correct on all counts.

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 6:46 pm

spongy wrote:
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:46 pm Post subject: Social structure of wrongplanet.net itself

Several people that are trusted by alex(the website owner) have to recommend a certain person to him and he may consider making said person a moderator.
This people know who they are so dont try to spam his email because its quite likely to lead you to trouble rather than becoming a moderator

How are they policed?
Any complaints can be directed to other moderators or alex. He considers the situation and sees if theres any need to intervene/do something
How are they dismissed?
Alex notices that a certain person is no longer doing the work properly and dismisses that person.

Other ranks other then mods? Is there a constitution thing? Internal politics? etc....

Internal politics involve keeping an eye on posts and seeing which posts are conflicting with the rules then contacting whoever made those posts. After repeated times a person is usually warned and if they refuse to listen to the warnings banned.

Only alex knows what his role on the system is. One of us could try to make a guess but he could prove us wrong since he has never stated what his role is and it changes by time.
Right now he says he is working on a new forum design and your guess on how involved on keeping an eye of this website is just as good as mine.

Toggi3 and myself are not admins on this site. My company provides the server that WP uses, and manages that side of things - but we do not have any power over anything on this site.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 11:21 pm

sliqua-jcooter wrote:
spongy wrote:

How are they policed?
How are they dismissed?

Toggi3 and myself are not admins on this site. My company provides the server that WP uses, and manages that side of things - but we do not have any power over anything on this site.

okay sorry about the confusion

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 11:28 pm

so.... what is the purpose of this thread, really?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 5:52 am

There are at least three people, that I know of, other than Alex that used to be administrators of WP but they are either no longer admins or they only post continue to post here rarely.