Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2018, 6:13 pm

Just curious as to why I can no longer log in via my vpn? It told me I had been blocked. I then after several tries suspended my operations over my vpn and am allowed in. Is this by design or policy? Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
Bill

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Oct 2018, 3:55 am

An internet search reveals that this problem also occurred last year,
whereby Cloudflare were blocking the majority of the PIA IP addresses.
The solution was to change to a different PIA server until the block was lifted.
Evidently the Brazil and Sweden server continued to work, so I suggest you
switch servers until you find one that works for you.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

12 Oct 2018, 4:25 pm

I've been using PIA for a few years & am pretty active on this site & I never had a problem with being blocked here. Not sure if this would help but I sometimes have to disable PIA before accessing Papa John's site. Some of the older versions of PIA(maybe the 7 ones instead of the 8 which is latest) Had an option to report blocked sites. I reported Papa John's & another site & I was able to access them with PIA shortly after. My girlfriend said she had to disable PIA when she went to Papa John's last week thou but it worked fine for me for a year till now & I'm still able to access the other site. I'm not sure why Papa John's wouldn't be working with it again. I don't have the option to report it with this version of PIA. Maybe I should contact PIA tech support & maybe contacting them would help you too with your issue OP.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 11:55 pm

Thanks everyone! I've been using PIA for years myself now and was first time I experienced it here. I did as you said and reported the block and now seems to be fine. I am running Opensuse so I use openvpn as the PIA native app doesn't fly on my op system. To me using a VPN is necessary. Call me a tad paranoid if you will. lol

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2018, 3:33 am

nick007 wrote:
I've been using PIA for a few years & am pretty active on this site & I never had a problem with being blocked here.

Actually I think you are having the same problem with PIA.
You said on another thread that you were receiving constant CAPTCHA requests while
visiting Wrongplanet.
Like in the OP's case this would be caused by the VPN IP address being logged
at Project Honey Pot for nefarious usage.
Cloudflare use the Project Honey Pot lists to determine whether to CAPTCHA or
block the IP.

You can check your VPN IP at Project Honey Pot here to see why you are receiving the CAPTCHA request.

They give you the option to submit the IP address for whitelisting on the same page, or you
can contact the VPN provider and get them to have it removed.

Below is the output from Project Honey Pot of a VPN IP address that receives CAPTCHA requests
whilst traversing Wrongplanet:

Project Honey Pot wrote:

Spam ServerDictionary Attacker

The Project Honey Pot system has detected behavior from the IP address consistent with that of a mail server and dictionary attacker. Below we've reported some other data associated with this IP. This interrelated data helps map spammers' networks and aids in law enforcement efforts. If you know something about this IP, please leave a comment.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

13 Oct 2018, 11:00 am

Thanx for that Soliloquist. I think the reason I was getting the CAPTCHAs was because I was using quotes. Lots of members here have problems with it when there's lots of quotes in their post or if their post is long. I haven't got it since then but I'll check Project Honey Pot if I start having that problem again when it's not a long post with lots of quotes. It's also possible that PIA is giving me a different IP address than I had then.
I'm glad it working for you now KB8CWB

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition