"Back" button is now mostly useless

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 9:39 pm

I recently noticed that when you try to navigate to the last page you were on by using the "back" button, nothing happens...

when you click a link to view a post, the browser navigtes to an ad page first, then to the post... clicking 'back' just reloads the ad...

I can see how this would increase revenue by reporting more pageviews, but to me it is quite annoying...

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 9:41 pm

I just tested that out -- didn't happen. The "back" button works perfectly.

Sounds like you've got some malware on your computer.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 11:01 pm

Not happening over here.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2009, 11:10 pm

I checked it out... the tracking cookie belongs to Casalmedia, who contracts with website owners and pays them ad revenue... when i changed my browser settings to block 3rd party cookies, the effect was that the banner ad on top of and the side of the page fails to load, and displays a 404 error...

Looks to me like it's a part of this site...

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 5:46 am

I've never seen it, but then I've never seen any ads on this site anyway. I guess you don't use the Firefox browser with AdBlock Plus and NoScript. The combination has become the de-facto standard for browsing the web nowadays for those want fast page loads with no adverts or drive-by malware.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2009, 5:47 pm

jrknothead wrote:
I checked it out... the tracking cookie belongs to Casalmedia, who contracts with website owners and pays them ad revenue... when i changed my browser settings to block 3rd party cookies, the effect was that the banner ad on top of and the side of the page fails to load, and displays a 404 error...

Looks to me like it's a part of this site...

You get ads on your web browser?

I'll never understand why some people insist on using inferior technology...

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2009, 6:13 pm

If it's someone else's, all that you can do is bug the network admins, and even then, they might not change anything for purposes of what they call "backward compatibility" - meaning, that 10 year old computer on the network can still keep up with the software on the rest of the network!

If it's yours why don't you get Firefox et al.?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 9:54 am

I don't get that, either, and I operate my WP expressly the way someone that just stumbled on the site would, just so I can moderate what happens with the site. To the everlasting hazing of my peers, I use Windows XP and MS Internet Explorer 7.

My back button works, and I don't navagate away from WP when I go onto another page. I have a good virus et al protection and have my pop ups disabled for my browser.

It's not WP.

Merle

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 12:52 am

I'm using IE7

on the top of the page, above the links (discussion, articles,blogs etc.) I'm geting a casalemedia ad, and on the left side of the page I'm getting a box for the wrongplanet net store, a google ads box and a casalemedia box... on the bottom of the page i'm getting an ad from burstnet... blocking the cookies from casalemedia makes their banners on the top and left of the page display the 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage' page...

you don't get any of those?

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 4:10 am

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is what browser is being used? I wonder if it's Chrome?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 9:09 am

jrknothead wrote:
I'm using IE7

on the top of the page, above the links (discussion, articles,blogs etc.) I'm geting a casalemedia ad, and on the left side of the page I'm getting a box for the wrongplanet net store, a google ads box and a casalemedia box... on the bottom of the page i'm getting an ad from burstnet... blocking the cookies from casalemedia makes their banners on the top and left of the page display the 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage' page...

All I get is the Wrongplanet.net store. For everything else, there's Adblock Plus.

IE simply is not a safe browser to use. I mean, if you're going to subject yourself to the massive security hazard that is Windows, do you really want to compound the problem by using the least secure web browser on the market today?

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 10:18 am

jrknothead wrote:
I'm using IE7

I get the WP.net store, the ads by Google, those really gross ads for a 'flat stomach', the 'People Online' for WP, a google search box and an Amazon (books) search box. The banner across the top is the Ad Council "The Jungle Book" characters for the nutrition pyrimid.

and Orwell, it is probably not productive to mention more than once that he can change what sort of browser someone else can use. We make our decisions in many ways and sometimes logic is not the final decider. :wink:

Merle

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 10:21 am

Orwell wrote:
All I get is the Wrongplanet.net store. For everything else, there's Adblock Plus.

Ditto that. Why do people keep complaining about adverts when the solution is so simple? Firefox with AdBlock Plus, NoScript and NoFlash make the internet a joy to browse with no pestering adverts anywhere and web pages load much faster because the browser is not downloading all the big graphic adverts or flash adverts.

It is a simple mouse click to allow selected sites to use scripting or flash if you really want them to.

Browsing is also more secure, much less chance of picking up a nasty from a drive-by download.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 9:53 pm

I fiddled with the security settings and now the problem is solved... all the banner ads are gone and the only extra content I get is the WP store... The back button problem has disappeared as well...
:)

Thanks everyone for the help and advice...

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2009, 12:47 am

jrknothead wrote:
I fiddled with the security settings and now the problem is solved... all the banner ads are gone and the only extra content I get is the WP store... The back button problem has disappeared as well...
:)

Thanks everyone for the help and advice...

YEEEEAAAAAA!! !

way to go jrknothead!

Merle