Political science being conservative

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 8:20 pm

I suppose Im not really conservative Im libratarian but I fall much more on the conservative side of things and was wondering if any other conservatives out there have any advice how to get by with liberal teachers (which most if not all of them are) while not sacrificing my ideology.

PS despite this trend one of my teachers worked with Luger (or however you spell it) from Indiana who is a Republican, though shes most definatally not conservative.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

pernicious_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Oct 2005, 9:20 pm

If your mind is good at debate, then this solution should be fitting: always argue from the liberal point of view.

This is the only foolproof method that has saved me in college. Only once did I express my true views... I was not penalized much, but I could not hope to change the A- into an A because the graders were of a different mind. When stating liberal views, make sure to state pros and cons. When you state the inconsistencies you clearly must see if you are conservative aligned, then make sure they are over shadowed by the case for the liberal view

This can alternatively be argued for a conservative view. The critical anaylsis, however, is vital. Be a critic of everything and everyone.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 9:23 pm

I don't have much advice, but I'm very anxious to see what other people think of. :D

Arguing against your views allows you to become less passionate (in a good way) and to anticipate what the opposition will ask about, so it could be advantageous. I've done it before... and it's interesting. Good experience, but I don't think I'll be doing it again anytime soon. ;)

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2005, 11:37 pm

Really depends on what you can get away with re: your teachers, I've had teachers who will hear me out....yet on a test, I either answer their way or I fail, PERIOD. Others are fine with a different point of view on a test, as long as you can back up what you are saying. I taught high school sunday school and had students who loved to debate, they were only allowed to if they brought their bibles, I wanted them to be able to back up what they were saying with facts, not just argue because it's what they are good at...oh my gosh, that class was so much fun, I loved teaching it, well, good respectful kids, even when we disagreed...which is an important point to bring up, people can disagree and still really get along, as long as they aren't rude to eachother...be respectful to your teachers, even if you disagree. Learn their side, that will help you understand them better, even if you don't agree, at least you can understand them.Which will either strenghten your views or change them.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2005, 2:41 am

Endersdragon, I don't have any advice, but you should come to my school district. I am liberal, live in a blue state, but I live in an extremely red county. Most teachers where I live are conservative. I am now in college, so I have more liberal teachers than ever before, but there are probably more conservative professors here than there are elsewhere.

HarryofSheringham
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2005, 6:05 am

I often get the felling my college is run by a cabal of liberal minded teachers. They are almost astonishingly partisan. As a lefty i shouldnt mind yet the one-sided-ness of it does make me uncomfortable. I do sometimes get the feeling that they are almost trying to indoctrinate us.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 1:36 pm

HarryofSheringham wrote:
I often get the felling my college is run by a cabal of liberal minded teachers. They are almost astonishingly partisan. As a lefty i shouldnt mind yet the one-sided-ness of it does make me uncomfortable. I do sometimes get the feeling that they are almost trying to indoctrinate us.

How often is their political bias even visible? Aside from a political science or history course, I don't see how political biases could even show up very often at all. I don't think I recall heated political discussion in my calculus or database classes.

HarryofSheringham

02 Nov 2005, 3:15 pm

Well you might be surprised. Recently my geography teacher got onto the subject of 'mistakes' among which he listed voting for george bush as the most serious. A lot of the teachers regularly slip in little comments like that, which makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2005, 9:39 pm

Neant, it probably doesn't happen as much in math classes because numbers and equations are fairly unbiased. Even in biology and chemistry it can be very obvious if the teacher is more liberal or more conservative.

Harry, do you mind if I ask why your geography teacher was talking about Bush? If one of my teachers slipped something into their lecture like that, I would prepare for a full-on debate (even at the cost of my grade in the class, perhaps, for disagreeing with the professor).

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

03 Nov 2005, 1:11 am

Hehe, there have been little jabs in a computer science course I took at a local college. Fairly liberal place though.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2005, 1:53 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
HarryofSheringham wrote:

How often is their political bias even visible? Aside from a political science or history course, I don't see how political biases could even show up very often at all. I don't think I recall heated political discussion in my calculus or database classes.

Also recently on some school campus (I forget which), well not really recently but before the election a student was hit for supporting Bush (quite badly if I remember correctly.)

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2005, 3:54 pm

Quote:
I often get the felling my college is run by a cabal of liberal minded teachers. They are almost astonishingly partisan. As a lefty i shouldnt mind yet the one-sided-ness of it does make me uncomfortable.

I attend the same college and I agree.
If my school years have taught me anything it is that I wouldn't meed the liberal standards of the current teachers. I'd be lefty enough to want to enforce free speech but, nevertheless if I have particular ideas, concepts, values, I want to impose them to the fullest extent and I can't always fathom other points of views.
Being a college lecturer, on the other hand, is a diffrent matter I think

hidoko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2005, 8:27 am

Hi. I don't know about that situation, but I have to ask about political science. I'm considering doing a module for it next year and it will be my first political science module. It will be about local nation-building.

How is Political Science as a discipline? I have heard that it is different from history - I'm familiar with history & doing 2 history courses now - so I need some advice, and I don't really know anyone who takes it. I hope you'll reply. Please? :?

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2005, 12:27 am

It sorta likes combines all the major social sciences into one (though mainly economics, socialogy, history, and phycalogy at various times.) Hope that helps

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Nov 2005, 12:32 am

Nuttdan wrote:
Hehe, there have been little jabs in a computer science course I took at a local college. Fairly liberal place though.

Dartmouth?????? Dartmouth is the most conservative school of all the ivy leagues.

hidoko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Nov 2005, 9:55 am

Endersdragon wrote:
It sorta likes combines all the major social sciences into one (though mainly economics, socialogy, history, and phycalogy at various times.) Hope that helps

Thank you. Economics is my enemy, but I do fine with history & psychology. X_x