Page 2 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2010, 3:54 am

I was in it from Elem School, took some time off from it in Middle School, took regulars and s/eds in High School (btw I was almost going to literally kill myself in high school). It might be taking some time for me in Junior College, but I am ready to give it my 100% these next few years depending if I target to get a BA or an MA. We will see what happens, let time follow it's path.

Kat15
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2010, 6:15 pm

No. But I volunteered to help the kids in that class.

Electricbassguy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2010, 3:08 pm

I was in special "social skills" classes in high school, and I was forced to endure random classes for anger management in junior high school when I didn't have anger problems.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 8:58 pm

I was on an IEP so yeah. I had a Learning Center course to help me academically and I had a Social Transitions class that tried to help me socially. Other then that, my subject classes were normal and I was still able to do Honors English.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2010, 11:48 am

I was always in in(besides the years I was homed school) I always thought it was dumb. They would take us out of class for about an hour. in that time what ever we missed in class was home work even if we missed HOW to do the work it was our own fault. In high Shcool I was put into an ASD class for god knows why. It was to easy.

Sefirato
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2010, 2:36 pm

I was in special ed from kindergarten all the way up to junior year in high school (grade 11), when I switched over to mainstream full-time my senior year (grade 12). I am deaf, which is why I was in special education (deaf schools are considered as one). I was not there for anything autistic related, which is why I was never suspected of having HFA/AS while I was there. I was an obvious case (when I look back at it by how I behaved and stuff with what I know now about AS/Autism) yet they missed it big time.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 3:45 pm

I was never in special ed, but I was excluded from the gifted and talented programs because of my social impediments.

Ah the 80's...

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2010, 11:13 pm

lols :D I sure was. I remember all the garbage I used to give the speech therapists who wanted to meet with me. I wasn't exactly an easy SPED student. A lot of my friends from high school were also SPEDs.

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 12:46 pm

I had to see the special ed councilor at least once a week from 1st through 8th grade. At first they thought I was ADD, and had me tested but that came back negative.

I remember I had to go to a special "Pre-Primary Impaired" Preschool because I wouldn't say the first sound of every word...

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2010, 1:11 pm

I was in special ed for a very long time. I received it starting in 1st grade, but got placed in a regular classroom by 5th grade, even though I still had a special ed teacher. I received it well into high school, long after I really needed it.

Now I'm at university.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2010, 12:28 pm

I was in special ed my whole life except for when I was in 5th grade and 6th grade. I was in regular ed since I was 8 but before I was in special ed full time and before that I went to a school for kids with development delays.

Ergo_Proxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2010, 7:45 pm

I was in special ed between 5th and 9th grade. It was already apparent by the 7th grade, though, that I didn't really belong in there. Between the 7th and 9th grade I took a mix of regular classes and special ed ones.

Now I'm in a prestigious university majoring in the sciences.

They really should consider reforming the education system, but we all know that it isn't going to happen any time soon, if ever.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2010, 5:13 pm

Never in special ed.

Perkele
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jun 2010, 8:15 pm

I was put in special ed in first grade after being diagnosed with nonverbal learning disorder and sensory-motor integration disorder, and then in second grade I was diagnosed with Asperger's. I was kept in special ed until the middle of ninth grade mostly due to behavioral, not academic, issues. For most of middle school I performed satisfactorily in school, but not to my full potential because I was too obsessed with my Internet activities, namely stalking a Swedish artist. When I started to get more serious about school and became a straight A student in eighth grade, then, and I was having significantly fewer social and behavioral issues, it was decided that I would be dismissed from special ed in ninth grade if I stayed on track, which I did and so I was.

t55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jun 2010, 1:43 am

I was in special ed.

I feel like the whole reason I was there was because I had resentments and rebellions.

When I was in it, I really didn't care to get out.

School became unpleasant, I just wanted to get out. And special ed helped me with my escapism.

But I fear my negativity might be contagious.

Well at least the special ed people were nicer.

Soledad
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2010, 2:28 am

jc6chan wrote:
I don't think I was ever in special ed. I was just in ESL for a few years. Prior to university I didn't really get too low in terms of marks.

One thing I don't understand is why some people are in special ed even though they don't score particularly low marks.

what's ESL?