Do/did you like to be around the teacher more than peers?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2010, 6:22 am

I generally found adults to be easier to deal with than other kids because of their "maturity."

sylbao
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2010, 11:06 am

I used to prefer teachers too. But not only for the "professionnal" thing. I think I was looking for a mommy. :roll:
Now I'm more comfortable with kids. Maybe they're less "mature" but they're less normalized too !

lunairetic
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Oct 2010, 12:15 pm

I had great maths and physics teachers in high school... I spent a lot of time with them, talking not only about science. I miss them very much (and I don't miss any of my peers), but my professors at University seem to be great too, so although I'm far away from home, the change isn't that hard.
I think I just like physics and maths people... and just none of my peers shared my interests.

Berlin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2010, 1:50 am

Better not to think about the high school years. Really like the academic life...high school was just a necessary step in getting there.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2010, 10:53 am

I did in primary school, I did in secondary school, and I do in college.

space_cadett
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2010, 8:12 pm

When I was in Nursery School, I would refuse to sit with the other kids during story time, I would only sit next to the teacher. I wasn't particularly shy or anything and definitely not a teachers pet but it just seemed the natural thing to do. I guess I always felt like I didn't belong with the group. Luckily the teacher was nice enough to put up with it, though they did recommend my mother get a child psychologist in (I didn't play with the other kids).

Later on, I guess I realized that sitting next to the teacher makes you look like a teachers' pet but I still remember always feeling like I had a "one on one" relationship with my teachers, and I would talk to them but not discuss things with other kids; but suddenly in grade 1, the teachers really seemed to discourage this, which hurt.

Later on, in Junior High, it seemed a lot of the teachers started favouring the popular kids over the misfits. I realize now that the teachers were probably not the most popular kids growing up, and they probably felt a bit "cool" if they were in the popular kids' good books.

I'm very shy now, I'd like to get to know my teachers better but I always think they probably want to get me out of their hair. Such a change from how I used to be... wish I could get past that hurdle.

audetc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2010, 7:16 pm

I also have found that I prefer to be around my teachers more. I feel increasingly ackward around my classmates and try to avoid most interaction with them, but I actually have a tendency to seek out my favorite teacher on my lunch break. I sometimes find myself becoming offended if I pass one of my teachers and they don't seem to see me, yet couldn't care less if one of my freinds don't notice me. There was only one case where I didn't prefer my teacher and I had actually started to stay home to avoid his class. It wasn't anything he did deliberately, but the tone of his voice often sent me into a panic. My father was abusive and when he use to emotionally attack me he would use a similar tone of voice and I have learned to associate that tone as negative and harmful, even though the teacher was saying nothing remotely negative.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:52 pm

I did in high school. In fact, teachers were the only ones I talked toward.

In college, I do not talk to anyone. The professors and faculty are very busy. My peers are not understanding and will often disengage with me. At the moment, I feel awfully alone. I will get through it eventually. I do not mind "lone wolf" style.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2010, 10:05 pm

I always liked to be around the teacher. She or he wasn't an idiotic bullying child.

Galactus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Nov 2010, 5:57 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
I generally found adults to be easier to deal with than other kids because of their "maturity."

The same thing can be said for me....

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 6:00 pm

Yes, I have always preferred to be around teachers than around peers. I still do, actually.

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 10:52 pm

I've always preferred teachers. I'm more comfortable around them, and I get the impression that they're interested in what I have to say. I've had some teachers I didn't really connect with, but I've had a lot of teachers that I really liked and got along with. I still keep in touch with my high school psychology teacher. Even now that I'm better at talking to my peers, I still prefer my professors.

u
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2010, 12:32 am

It's hard for me to really talk to anyone anymore, but in elementary school, I remember being much more comfortable talking to teachers than to other students.

I think I still am, maybe, but not by quite as much.

lisacmeier
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2010, 9:24 am

if someone was interesting then i liked being around them , but students rarely had anything that made a difference to do or say, teachers rarely ran out. I'm a girl, being social was important to me i just couldn't "act" it right so I was uncomfortable around just students for any amount of unstructured time. If I had something to figure out or solve Then i could do it right. I felt less of a wierdo and more like a part of what was going on. am i rambling?.... nerves

Wraythen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Nov 2010, 2:00 am

Funnily enough, this never occurred to me at all in school. XD

In fact, primary school was quite possibly the best time of my life 'cause I could associate with everyone my age so easily. :D

High school, however.... what a pain in the a$$. By year 12, I was a total misanthrope (and I still am) and could only really associate with those younger/older than I was.

I've been antisocial ever since - my age group is utterly insufferable. :(

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2010, 9:39 pm

Yes! I think the teachers like me more too! Some students like me fine but most seem indifferent to me. The teachers on the other hand, seem to like me a lot. I spend so much time talking this one teacher in my school last year, he really likes the students and is very accepting.