Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

hell_grey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2006, 3:54 pm

has anyone here studied abroad? i hope to do this next summer. i'd love to go to britain or new zealand. just curious if anyone has experiences to share :)

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

14 Dec 2006, 8:14 pm

I'm hoping to study abroad at Oxford this summer. *hope, hope*

chimpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2006, 10:29 am

I'm studying abroad now and it's really tough. Even learned methods of social interaction don't work there. This sucks. I'm becoming completely overwhelmed by learning new social principles and I don't have a time to focus on my study. I think it's high time to quit. Nothing for aspies.

kyethra
Raven
Raven

19 Dec 2006, 2:58 pm

I studied abroad in Wales and it was one of the best times of my life. I had a blast. And my GPA went up! I lived in a house with ten other people and I guessed they matched us based on surveys or something, but we were all "eccentric" and got along pretty well. I am still friends with several of them, years later. And the classes are nice and structered just like I prefere and they tell you what they want and they will help you if you ask for help too. Lots of free time to study and join clubs. And guys with accents!

One thing that helped in Britian, I felt, was that were certain social rules of politeness or whatever one calls it. Things like bus ques and all that (I miss bus ques). Anyway, if one can learn and adhere to these social rules- and they are fairly straightforward rules, mostly its learning how to be polite, then eccentricties seem more easily tolerated over there.

I would suggest working with people in study abroad before you go to learn about these rules and conventions and practice them. Also learn the different dialect things that help (like trousers versus pants, especially for those of us who do wear skirts- otherwise this can be embarrassing and funny), learn stores and places to shop and go to eat, etc. Learn as much about the culture and customs as you can before you go- watch the tv from that place and so forth if it helps. That way when you do get there it won't be so overwhelming. Plus the excuse of comming from another country is a great one for being socially akward! Use it!

Have fun!

McManager
Raven
Raven

15 Jan 2007, 8:33 pm

I studied in Vienna for a year. It's a great idea to spend a year abroad, I highly recommend it if you have the opportunity. (I do feel sorry for any Americans that go abroad. While Canadians are generally accepted, all of the Americans I knew had to put up with constant discussions about Bush)

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 8:41 pm

I want to go to Japan. I don't think I'll get my wish though.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 10:07 pm

I would either like to study abroad in another country (preferably English speaking because my Spanish isn't good enough to be considered effecient) or in another part of the US, possibly on the East Coast or down in Texas or New Mexico.

mikh07
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 11:34 pm

ahayes wrote:
I want to go to Japan. I don't think I'll get my wish though.
Me too, although I'm going to do my best to make that wish come true.

RubyLee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2007, 12:11 am

kyethra wrote:
One thing that helped in Britian, I felt, was that were certain social rules of politeness or whatever one calls it. Things like bus ques and all that (I miss bus ques). Anyway, if one can learn and adhere to these social rules- and they are fairly straightforward rules, mostly its learning how to be polite, then eccentricties seem more easily tolerated over there.

I would suggest working with people in study abroad before you go to learn about these rules and conventions and practice them.

I'm going to England in the fall, and I was wondering if I could persuade you to list some of these rules? Please?

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2007, 4:08 am

heh.

this summer I'm 'possibly' going to France to visit an old flame of mine. well not exactly a flame, but a close interest or there abouts. she lives in Germany, and told me that if I can get to France she'll meet me there.

if I do study abroad which won't be til Junior summer, I'm gonna go to Rome. because it's the city of romance.