Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

catherineconns
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Oct 2011, 5:14 pm

Hi all,

I haven't been on the forums in a while, mostly because of classes, but I wanted to ask for your help with something. As a project for one of my classes, I'm writing a handbook for aspies who are starting out in college or university, with advice from those of us who have learned from our own experiences as university students. Obviously my own experiences will play into this, but I was hoping to get more of a range of testimonials.

So, to sum up in question form:

What are some of the more important tips, pieces of advice, and learning experiences that you have gathered in your time at university that you think would help aspies get through the university experience (socially, academically ,etc) more easily?

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 6:09 pm

Get your time table as soon as you can, go to your college for the first day of classes and familiarize yourself with where all your classes will be as well as important facilities such as the bathrooms and the water fountains. Your college will most likely have printed maps available to help with this. It is also important to know where you will need to submit your assignments.

Familiarlize yourself with the library and how to use it early.

Your college/university may have printed guides to essay writing, referencing, time management etc. somewhere - these are useful.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

Last edited by MudandStars on 20 Oct 2011, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 6:10 pm

And when you're done assembling this information, I as a parent would GLADLY shell out a few bucks to buy this in book-form!

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

Get a map of campus . . . it is very useful.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2011, 9:22 pm

don't feel it's the end of the world when your roommates don't want to room with you a second year. look at it as a chance to get to know someone new.

Saxgrrrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2011, 9:08 am

Oh wow, this is a great idea. I just graduated from high school this last spring and I'm having the hardest time...college in general. I am keeping an eye on this.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2011, 9:25 am

If you are still socially awkward. Try to build acquaintances over a long-period of time. I.e.: Sitting around the game-room till people there expect your presence; and eventually they will recognize you yourself and start a friendship.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

Do NOT be afraid to ask professors for help. They have office hours for a reason, and most professors wish more students would come to them. As long as you're not grade-grubbing every assignment, they are eager to help. Also they can clarify any rules stated in class or on the syllabus that are ambiguous.

Figure or approximate, depending on how the grading is set up, what percent of your grade each assignment is if you're having problems being motivated to do the work. Also figure how much getting "in the habit" of not doing a particular kind of assignment which is individually very little of your grade, but could add up, will cost you. Like, say, not doing any of the 20 reading responses that are 1% of your grade each.

Save the grade-grubbing for when you have a GOOD argument as to why a grade should be higher. If you're complaining about everything, professors will tire of dealing with you, "decide" that they don't round up, and probably do a worse job at clarifying things for you.

If you are diagnosed, disability accomodations are possible. They can allow you more test time, a note taker (which I had in one class one semester), the right to do normally-group work alone, etc. Many professors will direct you to where you need to go to get the accomodations if you tell them of your diagnosis.

Don't agonize over a few points in one class to the point that you're losing that much or more in all your other classes. Be careful your efforts to get a better grade in a tough class don't give you worse grades in all your other classes, lowering your GPA.

AQ: 33

catherineconns
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2011, 6:05 pm

Thanks for the great tips, people. I would love some more, and also possibly some relevant personal anecdotes about your time in college/university.

Thanks again!

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 8:09 pm

If you want a little humor, here's a page out of my brother's figurative book:

Step one. Buy your favorite soda in can form.
Step two. Get Nerf guns. Cheap knockoffs work as well, but the ammo has to fit the guns or it won't work.
Step three. Drink soda.
Step four. When stressed, take aim, and fire.
Step five. Recycle.
Step six. Repeat.

He and his roommate did this when they studied for tests, apparently, and he did better on calc tests when he performed this little ritual. Probably because it's good stress relief. Also, it's mind-numbingly amusing.

Also, something the both of us have found, if you have ADD along with Asperger's, or just generally have trouble focusing, energy drinks or chocolate-coffee beans help you stay alert during class and keep you from shifting from task to task. My brother did this when he started taking science classes, and I did this when I couldn't stay awake in mine. It works because caffeine is a stimulant, which is all ADD meds are anyways. However, it will not give the same side effects, and you can just not use them when you're not having trouble.

BigBadBrad
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2011, 10:33 pm

There is actually a book that is more or less a manual for starting out in college, it is called "Developing College Skills in Students with Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome" by Sarita Freedman. It covers all of the practical aspects of adjusting to college, including socializing, managing time and finances, personal hygiene among other things. It may be exactly what you are doing, so I wouldn't reference it or anything ;)
My major piece of advice is to try and find at least one good friend early on, someone who is socially adept, and don't be afraid to disclose your condition to them. After hiding in my room for about 3 days, my neighbor cornered me and we had a good conversation, he then dragged me out to hang out with people from our dorm, and everyone was cool with my differences, and they were actually excited to finally meet me. My neighbor more or less walked me through meeting and socializing with peers; I explained my hesitation and anxienty, and he was cool with it and didn't pressure me. I started college 10 years ago and he is still one of the few friends I have, and knowing about me, he has never had an issue with the fact that our friendship and continued interaction are 99-100% on his initiative.
The first week is literally the easiest time you will ever have making friends, because they are all experiencing the fear and uncertainty we have all the time. Not only that, but the college atmosphere is nothing like highschool. Tolerance and acceptance of any differences are almost universal in all of the college and university environments I've been in, it is nothing like the cliques and ostracizing that are the norm in highschool.

catherineconns
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Nov 2011, 6:48 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the responses so far. Another question that maybe some of you could answer:

What information about AS do you wish your neurotypical classmates had at the start of college?