Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:13 pm

I'm a senior in college majoring in math. I'm thinking about studying for the LSAT. I'm currently not in school because I got sick and wont be returning until a year. I plan on taking it in the meantime. I just downloaded a practice test and started doing the logic section and it's took me over an hour (took breaks in between) and it's a 35 minute section. I made some mistakes but I believe I can get every answer but I have to work the problems out with a pencil because I can't do them in my head. Is that OK or am I doomed? I literally just started studying for it.

Also, should an aspie even consider law? I can't speak that well but I'm passionate about liberty and rights. I was going to be an actuary but only for the money. I'm good at researching, logic, strategies, and writing.

Thanks.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 9:33 pm

I was pre-law for three years before changing majors- I'd consider it as viable a career choice for an Aspie as any other.
You needn't be good at speaking- many attorneys never see the inside of a court room- most of the money to be made is in contract law, from what I understand, and that's just drawing up and submitting signed documents to various parties all day. Not too much to do with "liberty" (I dreamed of taking a landmark first Amendment case to the SC, meself. Ah, young idealism) but it's a livin'! :D

Trying to dig up my raw LSAT score. It's around here some place, written down.

to his Interest."

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 12:29 am

I think i changed my mind. I dont know what i want to do with my life.

American
Toucan
Toucan

21 Apr 2012, 5:26 pm

bizboy1 wrote:
I'm a senior in college majoring in math. I'm thinking about studying for the LSAT. I'm currently not in school because I got sick and wont be returning until a year. I plan on taking it in the meantime. I just downloaded a practice test and started doing the logic section and it's took me over an hour (took breaks in between) and it's a 35 minute section. I made some mistakes but I believe I can get every answer but I have to work the problems out with a pencil because I can't do them in my head. Is that OK or am I doomed? I literally just started studying for it.

Also, should an aspie even consider law? I can't speak that well but I'm passionate about liberty and rights. I was going to be an actuary but only for the money. I'm good at researching, logic, strategies, and writing.

Thanks.

The LSAT is an artificial barrier that has nothing to do with law or how well you will do in law school and yet it is the single most important thing considered by law schools for acceptance and scholarship purposes. Your college performance over four years won't matter that much, it's all about how well you can do on this multiple-choice three hour tests with irrelevant questions. Ironically, there's nothing logical about this system.

Just study hard and do your best on the LSAT. Math majors do very well usually. Of course, philosophy majors do and I scored below the average philosophy major score so, you never know. You will need to buy the practice tests. You can get a book of ten very recent ones for an awesome price on Amazon. Make sure you get the new one with tests from 2006 on forward, since it changed around 2005 a little bit. Also, get the Powerscore books. I can almost guarantee that you will do much better on the logical reasoning section if you read the Powerscore book on that section. Good luck.

I would say that Law is a great area for Aspies, if that is your interest. We tend to be highly analytical and and highly logical. I am probably going to go to law school since I didn't get my dream job that I pursued literally halfway across the country.

Aspertastic424
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2012, 10:00 pm

I took it. It is a good thing to take. I just got accepted into a law school. Just practice your communicaton skils, youll get it one day!

American
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2012, 2:12 pm

Aspertastic424 wrote:
I took it. It is a good thing to take. I just got accepted into a law school. Just practice your communicaton skils, youll get it one day!

What score did you get? What tier (1,2,3,4) is the law school you were accepted to? How much scholarship money did you get? I was wait listed at a tier 2 school and accepted to a tier 3 (but definitely headed for tier 2 territory in less than 3 years) with no scholarship. I presented arguments for why I deserve a scholarship and I got a pretty good size scholarship. That surprised me.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 2:39 pm

I bought the logic games bible and the logical reasoning bible. I'm not sure yet if I want to keep them. I'm still not sure whether I should continue studying for actuarial exams or for the lsat.

coatesdj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2012, 2:42 am

I never believed I'd say this, but I'm a 3L now!

I took the LSAT in 2010, and I think the advice about preparation above is pretty much correct. I did a past exam under as close to exam conditions as I could recreate at home several times a week for about the month leading up to the test, and I did buy a commercial supplement for the logic games section because I knew that would present problems for me. This all worked out okay, though. 98th percentile score and that was good enough to get me into a top 20 school with a generous scholarship.

Once you get there it's a question of what you make of it. I guess the secret is to know who your real friends are and to distance yourself from being social just for the sake of being social if you think people's behavior in social settings is immature or annoying. I had the good fortune of being in a very social 1L section where we all pretty much got along and tolerated each other's quirks, and now that I'm a senior editor on a journal (again, I never thought I'd be saying that), I know that people know about my AS and know how it affects how I work (like needing to vanish for a couple days and read and re-read manuscripts, THEN report back what I think as opposed to reading manuscripts in meetings and talking them over). So it's all in all not a bad place.

You'll also discover strengths you didn't think you had. For some reason I have a real facility with complicated research and with commercial law issues. This is a good thing.

So the OP should at least give the LSAT a shot. You're not binding yourself to anything and you'll never know unless you try.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 11:07 pm

I'm not in law, so I've never taken the LSAT. I will say that, if you want to go to law school, you might want to consider going somewhere not in California. I watched a documentary about the California bar exam. It is the hardest of all the state bar exams, and many current politicians and government figures failed the California bar the first time they took it. Good luck in all your law ventures, and I hope you do well. Also, I'm not aware of how the LSAT and MCAT work as far as accommodations, but when I took the GRE, I was able to get extended time for the math section because of my AS/NVLD. When I try again to go to grad school, I definitely will apply for extended time again. With math, I'm like how you said about doing the logic LSAT questions- I can do it if given enough time, but when rushed, I fail. So, you might want to see if you're able to apply for extended time.

Nash: Is there a difference?