I take good grades, but I struggle a bit. 31%  31%  [ 15 ]
I'm on avarage. 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
No, I'm not good at school. 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 48

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2012, 1:36 pm

Just curious. I wanted to know the general grades of the people on this forum. Personally I'm on avarage: there are subjects I'm good at (Science, English and Algebra), others in which I suck (PE, Geo-History, Italian and Geometry), and others in which I'm ok (Greek and Latin). Very much depends on the subject: if I'm interested in something, I will probably be very good at it, but if I'm not interested in the topic it will probably take me more time to understand it. The beginning of the year is the worst period for me, because I have to get used to the new classroom and to the new professors. And then, I improved a lot since I was in Elementary and Middle school. The worst years was the second year in Middle school, because I was very demotivated, and I totally sucked. But now it's ok. What about you?

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 1:52 pm

It's a bit strange. When I voluntarily research my own special interests, I'm very motivated and I end up learning alot. When the research becomes mandatory, then I associate that with the stress of exams and grades and it's not so much fun anymore. It's just something that I will have to get over if I plan to get anywhere with my academic career.

Usually I'm in the A-B range, but I do get the occasional C if I really don't care for the subject.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2012, 2:23 pm

Pretty big dichotomy for me; I got nothing but straight A's in honors/advanced classes all the way until my junior year in high school where math had finally reached my limit of comprehension, ha. I suddenly ended up with a C in Calculus (despite getting an A in AP Stats, strange...) and was pretty devastated because I'd never had a poor grade in school. From there, I went to college and though I spent my first year no the Dean's list with near perfect grades, the lack of structure, very difficult math classes and increasing anxiety caused a steady but massive decline, until I dropped out my third year. No doubt, my great grades of the past weren't the byproduct of some innate genius; I had to work incredibly hard, study nonstop and obsessed over getting good grades for fear that I would be disowned by my family (or something like that).

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 2:26 pm

windtreeman wrote:
I suddenly ended up with a C in Calculus (despite getting an A in AP Stats, strange...) and was pretty devastated because I'd never had a poor grade in school.
Same here. I actually got a C in Calculus, but a 5 on the Calc AP test. It has alot to do with the class structure and teaching style.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Nov 2012, 3:03 pm

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
It's a bit strange. When I voluntarily research my own special interests, I'm very motivated and I end up learning alot. When the research becomes mandatory, then I associate that with the stress of exams and grades and it's not so much fun anymore. It's just something that I will have to get over if I plan to get anywhere with my academic career.

Usually I'm in the A-B range, but I do get the occasional C if I really don't care for the subject.

+1

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2012, 4:07 pm

For me, it can usually depend on the environment.

If you have 30 people crowded into a 3x3 yard space, of course it's going to get crazy.

It also depends on if I have a hard time understanding the instructions (How the hell am I supposed to figure out a phonetic spelling, and what purpose does it have in science class of all things???) or if things are in that "Middle ground" (I work well with freeform assignments, as well as overly-structured, but that middle ground doesn't work very well.). I also have difficulty if the assignment is 20-30 "Small questions" because I have to suppress the urge to answer them ridiculously in-detail.

Author/Writer

Dannyboy271
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2012, 6:49 pm

Haha, looking back at when I was in high school I was completely demotivated to do anything because my goals were elsewhere.
That and math classes were harder than ever to focus in. Like REALLY hard.
And you all know how fast we learn when we just research a subject for an hour or two.
Looking back, I don't know why I didn't just read up on everything I was learning and finish the class early.

WittyMoniker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Nov 2012, 8:23 pm

Been out of school a while now, but I was decent.

Went to an elite private school for high school and was in the middle of the class. My elementary/middle school was small-- a graduating class of 20. I was near the top of the class. My problem though was a lack of motivation unless it was something I was interested in. I enjoyed history, music, and writing, but I hated anything with literature or science. Decent in math and French.

I love learning and I love researching things. But I only do truly well with things I'm interested in.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 10:51 am

I get excellent grades, but I also do struggle quite a bit. I get a lot of support, which helps me tremendously, but sometimes even that is not enough to help my anxiety problems and other issues I am currently facing with one of my courses.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 11:21 am

Got really good grades in high school but have struggled some in college.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 6:25 pm

I've always been a very strong student when my mental health issues don't get in the way. I have an anxiety disorder that I have really struggled with over the past few years, and due to this, I have become hypervigilant of my triggers and of negative thoughts in order for me to function well. I am doing extremely well with managing my anxiety right now, and this better sense of focus has improved my organizational skills and time management as well. I'm getting straight As in university: something that I never thought would happen.

As a child and teen (when this was less of an issue) I always had strong grades, especially in English, French, and the social sciences.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Raj2442
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Dec 2012, 7:58 am

This year and last I had many struggles and problems. I was very unmotivated, gave up easily, had trouble asking for clear instructions and/or help, and just wasn't interested. I luckily managed to pass most classes.

Ascagne

19 Dec 2012, 6:01 pm

My results were not very remarkable in the first years, except maybe in my mother tongue, French. I was average (then good, thanks to some efforts) in maths for most of my scolarity. After the beginning of the collège (11 years old), I was the best or amongst the best in every subject, except maths, and of course sports. Without having to make efforts, except in maths. A more stimulating environment would have greatly advantaged me, because all that didn't give me the sense of effort. I mean : even at the baccalauréat, at 17 years old, I ended up with some 20/20 (for example in Spanish), and I can't say that was the result of efforts. I learned to work, yes, but working effortlessly is not the same thing...

Quote:

This is my problem too.
I'm 23 now, and I'm preparing the most demanding competitive examination in order to become a professor (not really because I'd like to teach at high school, but because it's a prerequisite if I want to do research and teach at university), the agrégation. I've completed my Master degree last year and it was über cool, because I had the liberty to do my research as I wished. I effortlessly plunged into an immense bibliography, and wrote a more than 200 pages mémoire (around 100 pages is the usual required quantity) that got a mark I'm ashamed to reveal because it makes other think I possess the self-confidence that I am actually devoid of.
Well, this university year is wholly different. We are forced to prepare to pass academic exercises, we have an imposed program... Although I like most of the works we have to master, the mere fact that it has been imposed, that it is mandatory, prevents me from having the kind of natural ease I found myself "swiming" into last year. While I could write pages and pages overnight, and read hundred of pages in the wake, then, I find myself struggling now with things that are, paradoxically, easier than original research (even though it's still very demanding), because I cannot approach these matters, as it seems, through my special interest-driven mode of learning and working (and I hate my brain for that). And there is the problem of efforts : it's only now, after five years of university (and more years of school of course), that I'm confronted to a situation where I need to do efforts if I want to pass this particular competitive exam. Which makes me think that I would have profited from a more demanding academic environment sooner in life, that would have made me go past my natural "laziness". I envy those who have had that chance.

matchalatte
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Dec 2012, 1:17 am

Ever since I've had a good living environment where I can concentrate and not be overwhelmed by others' noises and bothered by people, I've been pretty much a straight-A student, with a few lower grades here and there (mostly Bs). I never really had any trouble with understanding things, though. When I was younger, I had trouble remembering things (issue separate from being on the spectrum) and also had so many awful things going on that it kept me from my work (hard to concentrate when the sky's falling). That's often been the case, though. I don't have issues with school...just lots of other things and they end up affecting school at times.

Zaswe12
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Dec 2012, 2:23 am

I'm not sure, considering the fact that I only went 300 hours at most for the past 4 years. I am a pretty fast learner though.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

21 Dec 2012, 1:26 am

I made a 3.0 and a C in Calculus my first semester in college because my roommate was a party animal from Alaska who turned the AC on super cold. Even bundling up didn't help when I was indoors and sitting still.

I've done fine since then, especially when I don't have roommates and can keep the temperature high enough (I am literally a very cold person). I find it hard to concentrate in the presence of other people in a small room, though not when I study in a lobby/common area for some reason. Can't explain it.

Basically, I can do well when I can control my environment to be just so, otherwise not.