Can They Take My College Degree Away?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 11:48 pm

Mitrovah wrote:
There are a few NT people I know who should have their degrees' taken away from them, on the grounds of complete indifference and incompetence. That would make my degree seem more meaningful, since i did study and I do have a brain as opposed to most people at the university of iowa.

You know what they always said about the Big Ten Schools: if you can't get into Indiana, there's always, Illinois, if you can't get into Illinois, there's always Iowa, if you can't get into Iowa, there's Wisconsin, if you can't get into Wisconsin, there always Linebacker U, also known as the State Pen, er, Penn State.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 12:56 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
I constantly have nightmares about this. Typically, the nightmare starts where my college comes and takes away my degree. They then send me back to high school, and I am subjected to the horrors of that place.

You are not alone. I, and other NTs, have occasional nightmares of being back in high school.

Just goes to show how bad an experience it is for many people.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 11:26 am

lotuspuppy wrote:
I constantly have nightmares about this. Typically, the nightmare starts where my college comes and takes away my degree. They then send me back to high school, and I am subjected to the horrors of that place.

I am not sure why I am worried about my degree being taken away. I am going to grad school now, but these dreams started even before I graduated college. I know of no reason my college would be angry with me, for I do not have a balance with them, and I have never knowingly plagiarized or done anything with others' material that I knew to be unethical. Could they still take my degree away, with or without cause?

I think that a degree can be taken away if it was obtained by fraud or other illegal methods.

In the early to mid 1970s, a computer science graduate student working on his masters at a major university did some kind of project as part of the requirements he needed for graduation. It consisted of a software package to do some fairly complex task. A couple of years later, someone needed to run the package and so they went and got the deck of cards and started loading the deck. it turned out that it wouldn't even compile. The code was complete nonsense.

What he had done was formatted everything on cards the way it needed to be printed out and then ran the deck of cards through a program that did no more than copy the cards to the printer.

The university that granted him the degree considered revoking his degree, but they didn't want people to know just how easily they had been fooled by such an amateur attempt at fraud.

cgbspender42
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2013, 9:22 pm

had that dream in grad school too :D . No they can't take it away.

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2013, 7:17 am

The others are right; that's just a stress dream.

I've had them where I'm back in school but it's a different school if it's Junior High - same one if it's elementary or high school. I actually like those because it shows I have divorced the Jr. High that caused problems. Yes, sometimes in those dreams I don't have any assignments done or something, but as was stated, others have those dreams, too.

So, maybe if you have one of those nightmares again you can try to train your mind before you go to bed so that if you recognize it's happening, you can say, "Well, this is a different school so I didn't have a degree with them to begin with." After all, the college in your dream is different because the one in real life can't take away your degree.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 10:14 am

Universities can and do revoke degrees.

It's not an everyday occurrence by any means, but it DOES happen from time to time.

To the best of my knowledge, it is only done for some instance of fraud, either in obtaining the degree or in the application to be admitted to the school. There may be other grounds as well.

Even if a college revoked your degree, they could not send you back to 4th grade. I think that nearly all US public schools have an age limit of 21 or so. Once past 21, you cannot possibly remain a student in a public school.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 2:21 pm

eric76 wrote:
Even if a college revoked your degree, they could not send you back to 4th grade. I think that nearly all US public schools have an age limit of 21 or so. Once past 21, you cannot possibly remain a student in a public school.

Sometimes it's fun that I can remember many of my dreams.

I finished college! I have a law degree! Why do I need to take this stupid math class from 11th grade all over again? :lol:

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 8:36 am

BigSnoopy126 wrote:
The others are right; that's just a stress dream.

I've had them where I'm back in school but it's a different school if it's Junior High - same one if it's elementary or high school. I actually like those because it shows I have divorced the Jr. High that caused problems. Yes, sometimes in those dreams I don't have any assignments done or something, but as was stated, others have those dreams, too.

So, maybe if you have one of those nightmares again you can try to train your mind before you go to bed so that if you recognize it's happening, you can say, "Well, this is a different school so I didn't have a degree with them to begin with." After all, the college in your dream is different because the one in real life can't take away your degree.

I'm not sure it's a stress dream. My life was not particularly stressful when I was having those dreams. Then again, I have since started meditating for like three hours a day, and now never have those dreams. In fact, I dreamt last night I was walking to Boston (which is a many hours drive from where I live).

PinkeySherbet
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 May 2013, 1:03 pm

My boyfriend has dreams that I'm going to come out to him as a lesbian and leave him. It will never happen because I'm not a lesbian, (I'm pan) and I love him. I know these dreams are frightening, but they aren't real. They won't come true. You'll be fine and everything will be awesome. :)

creativeaspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 May 2013, 9:45 am

if mine did i wouldn't be that upset. i probably didn't earn it anyway.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 6:26 pm

Only if they prove you obtained your degree through fraudulent means, such as plagiarism.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 7:17 pm

Mitrovah wrote:
There are a few NT people I know who should have their degrees' taken away from them, on the grounds of complete indifference and incompetence. That would make my degree seem more meaningful, since i did study and I do have a brain as opposed to most people at the university of iowa.

It could be worse: you could have gone to Wisconsin. :D