Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2014, 1:23 pm

Hello, I want to share a part of what last semester was like for me. My sociology class. I talk about this with my friends because of what I discovered. Within the first couple weeks I discovered the majority of my class were immature and were always not considering any possibility that I might just be not socially appropriate all the time and be on the spectrum. No one wanted to take notes for me but luckily I was able to do it myself and get an A in the class because the teacher was so straight foward and all tests were take home. So sometimes the immature guys in the back of the class would talk while the professor is talking and it got annoying and also relatively to the other part of the class. A favorite part of my class was the response papers that we did, where we could anonymously say what we want. One of the papers I was saying I was blessed everyone quiet down and that some of the students would drop out. It was a blunt response paper. The teacher reads all of them basically. The class uproared and were dying to know who wrote it. Luckily my name was not on the paper. I hated much of the people in that class. Also when a teacher would say a rhetorical question which I wasn't sure what he was doing. I would always raise my hand in the first couple weeks and people would be annoyed with my curiosity. So after one class, I talked to one of my classmates who is a decent human being but he decided to be blunt and tell me it was annoying. But I still was rather defiant and did what I wanted in the class. Every thing we did was taking notes and tests were take home. I wrote whatever the heck I wanted on those response papers. Some of the people were freshman. Gosh I hated being with immaturity while my professor was an amazing intelligent guy. Anyways I did enjoy the class besides the students. So I would like your responses to this snippet and thanks for reading :)

Billw1628
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Feb 2014, 1:45 pm

thatsrobrageous wrote:
Hello, I want to share a part of what last semester was like for me. My sociology class. I talk about this with my friends because of what I discovered. Within the first couple weeks I discovered the majority of my class were immature and were always not considering any possibility that I might just be not socially appropriate all the time and be on the spectrum. No one wanted to take notes for me but luckily I was able to do it myself and get an A in the class because the teacher was so straight foward and all tests were take home. So sometimes the immature guys in the back of the class would talk while the professor is talking and it got annoying and also relatively to the other part of the class. A favorite part of my class was the response papers that we did, where we could anonymously say what we want. One of the papers I was saying I was blessed everyone quiet down and that some of the students would drop out. It was a blunt response paper. The teacher reads all of them basically. The class uproared and were dying to know who wrote it. Luckily my name was not on the paper. I hated much of the people in that class. Also when a teacher would say a rhetorical question which I wasn't sure what he was doing. I would always raise my hand in the first couple weeks and people would be annoyed with my curiosity. So after one class, I talked to one of my classmates who is a decent human being but he decided to be blunt and tell me it was annoying. But I still was rather defiant and did what I wanted in the class. Every thing we did was taking notes and tests were take home. I wrote whatever the heck I wanted on those response papers. Some of the people were freshman. Gosh I hated being with immaturity while my professor was an amazing intelligent guy. Anyways I did enjoy the class besides the students. So I would like your responses to this snippet and thanks for reading :)

Freshman in college is definitely different from high school (which is a step up) or graduate school (which is the next step).

You can get away with this when you are a freshman in college because you probably won't know who you should be friends with during your undergrad life. However, as you progress into upper division or even graduate level classes, this has to be toned down a bit. I am saying this because you can be in the same classes with some people you might be working with in the future, or give you a referral for a future job that you want.

From my experience eventually, you need some loyal friends in college. Not only will they are your support for the classes you are taking with them, but also people you can call on when you have a need some time down your life... as the higher up you go, the more likely you are associated with people who share similar dreams as you.

For example, yesterday, I talked to an ex-classmate whom I have not talked in 3+ years when we last had our classes for our masters program together. I told her what I have been going through. She was encouraging me on to pursue my dreams. To have a friend who won't judge (especially in situations where it can be easy for NT's to judge me) is really great. I was able to do that because I even though I am quiet in our class together, I never really did anything out of line. Also, she knew that I was a nice guy when she had seen my interactions with her and our peers on Facebook. So, I earned this friendship because of it.

Friends are like treasures. You might not know how valuable they can be until you have some trouble or when you have lost them for whatever reason.

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2014, 3:17 pm

You do raise a really good point. I feel like sometimes I really have to speak out. I am outspoken

Billw1628

05 Feb 2014, 3:29 pm

thatsrobrageous wrote:
You do raise a really good point. I feel like sometimes I really have to speak out. I am outspoken

I am that type on social media too sometimes. I have learned to tone it down because I am also a health professional now. Potential employers see my social media profiles, so do my peers. So do potential people who might use my services. If you need to vent, a trusted friend is a free resource. But if it's something serious, then you might want to either go to a mentor or a professional, depending on what you are venting about.

I might sound like an NT here even though I am an aspie. But that's because my main profession are dominated by NT's. Also, I know I have to work with NT's in terms of getting to the professional goals I want to achieve.

Friends are like treasures. You might not know how valuable they can be until you have some trouble or when you have lost them for whatever reason.

thatsrobrageous
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Feb 2014, 11:58 pm

There are consequences to venting in some places. I like to vent where I am not being a professional. I have absolutely talked about my sex life out in the open and I did not care. I am one of many non-traditional people