How do you focus on your school and homework?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 9:44 pm

I keep getting distracted and a bit fusterated.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 11:05 pm

I like what Temple Grandin said in a speech about people on the spectrum tending to have one of three preferred cognitive styles (with some overlap of course)

1) some people feel most at home with abstract reasoning like math or music or chess,

2) some people feel most at home with a story / narrative type of reasoning, and might feel more at ease and understand subjects such as history, literature, and social studies better than most students, and perhaps sciences that tend to have more of a 'plot' like biology.

3) some people feel most at home with visual thinking, like Temple herself, which might include different types of engineering and design, and perhaps other fields as well.

TheMighty_Moo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2014, 6:06 am

I'm never motivated but tired and bored and distracted. That's kind of a big deal since I'm an IB student.
If I actually start doing my homework, then it always turns out to be awesome. But, well, I never start.
:?

Moo approves!

Sashiku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Mar 2014, 3:11 am

I have the same problem. Doing homework for me takes immence focus and concentration. Unfortunately, I hardly ever find that concentration to do it. I'm an animation student and a right brain thinker. Art is my passion and animation is my dream. I am actually working on my mid term project and UGH I just can't stop procrastinating because of all the darn distractions and lack of motivation.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 7:26 am

I take frequent breaks, but I have to exercise willpower to keep them around 30 minutes. I would burn out if I tried to make myself keep studying when I felt like running away.

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

I don't. I just......... don't.
My untreated ADHD is out of control, and it makes me really, really, really, really, really, really angry.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

melysllew

06 Apr 2014, 3:47 pm

Yeah... I have an English essay that I haven't even started that's due in tomorrow at 9:03am. It's 9:46pm right now.
I was really productive and did 2 Biology pas papers and an R.E paper this morning, but it all left me after lunch.

You are very likely an Aspie

serenaserenaserena
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2014, 4:30 pm

Yeah, I feel really surprised and happy when I ever finish an assignment during class, because it's so rare.

~~~
Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional.
~~~

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 6:37 am

I just do. Fortunately I like learning and as long as I don't have to write essays (which I hate and which make me wanting to do anything but them, I used to make my mom write history essays for me back in middle school, now I just do them because I know they have to be done - but I procrastinate as long as I can till there is no time left. xD) I can focus on my homework almost the same way I focus on my special interests. As long as there is no disturbing sound/light/smell/anything I start the homework, focus on it and finish it without much problem - because I like doing homework and getting stuff done. Honestly - isn't solving math problems, checking info for biology or geography, finding a way to fix computer/create a website and filling blanks in English grammar fun?

EQ 91

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 7:51 pm

I tend to take a wee bit at a time. Like if I have a report or essay I'll split it up, the report guidelines usually split it into sections already, then do one section takes about 20-30 minutes then I take a break and then go back and do a wee bit more. It can take sometime to get started though. I tend to open up word, get the information needed on my desk and then after an hour or so of sort of preparing I start the report, then I go through it quickly, once I'm on a roll I work very fast, its just getting starting.

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2014, 11:31 pm

I have several methods for staying focused ion my work.

First, I have established a place where I am comfortable working and do most of my homework there. For me, it's in my dorm room, often on my bed It's quiet and private (each suite has 1 common area and private bedrooms fro each student).

A second trick I have is that I take breaks: For every hour I work, I take 20 minutes off (although some people don't need that long), where I just go for a walk , do some artwork or listen to music. Then, Every third hour of work, I take an hour long break. If I've had to work three hours without stopping, I had another half hour on. These breaks keep me from burning out.

Third, I establish a set time limit that I will work during the day. For me, it's seven hours, including classes. Unless I have a deadline approaching, I stop working when I reach either my time limit, depending on how driven I am that day. If I go over my maximum, I count it toward a future day within the week when I'm feeling overworked. It establishes incentive for me to work harder some days and feel like I can just walk away for the rest of the day in times that I need to.

I also work on the weekend. This lightens the load for the week ahead, as I usually will do between 3 to 5 hours a day between Saturday and Sunday.

I hope some of the ideas I mentioned above could be helpful to you. Good luck with your work.