Page 6 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

CDH15
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Mar 2012, 2:39 pm

I was miles and miles ahead at math compared to the rest of my class...... until I got to Algebra in 7th grade. I almost had to repeat Algebra 1 because a. my teacher could not teach algebra to save her life and b. algebra was a really abstract concept to me. The next year in Geometry I had a better teacher and a better grade in the class. I am still amazing at mental calculations(I have over 50 squares memorized). As far as calculus, I can't say anything because I haven't gotten there yet. Overall, I would say I am pretty good at math.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 4:15 pm

You all suck.

Math mastah since teh 3rd grade.

However, I've been failing all my classes since I started high school, though that is due to social issues.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2012, 8:21 pm

I'm very contextual, and so learning math is hard for me. I have a semi-photographic memory [I look at things once or twice and remember 90% of what I saw, assuming I was paying attention], which helps with formulas, and I have a very retentive memory, which helps me keep them in my head for years. I still know all the formulas regarding circles, all the formulas regarding quadratics, and all of the formulas that help you find the area of polygons. I'm at an Algebra II level right now, so I can't say about higher-level math yet.

Apparently I'm good at math, but I think it's because 'good at math' is too subjective. Most people are bad at math, so even if you think you suck you're probably about average. :P

HollowJD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2012, 1:47 am

All of you bratty aspies with you're non math based learning disabilities lol. seriously though math is awful for me soo I stick with psychology, I allready memorized the entire DSM soo its a lose win thing.

dreammirror
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2012, 10:27 pm

Oh yes!

Failed algebra 1 junior year in high school
Failed math courses in community college several times and forced to retake them (Algebra in particular but any kind of math)

I really despise the subject. Numbers are not my friend. No matter how many times one 'tutors' me, no matter how many times I've 'applied myself', no matter how many times I've 'studied', I just cannot do math past basic addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

Musicistheanswer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2012, 7:20 pm

I too have always been awful at math. Without calculators or MS Excel, I would be completely lost.

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 9:18 am

I may be 'bad' at maths. But it's not as simple as that, for me anyway. I'm bad a mental calculation, I can't count without using my fingers, I do not know the multiplication table, and division is hard for me.

But I don't have a problem with the mathematical concepts used in maths more complicated than addition, subtraction, multiplications and division. I find algebra easy to grasp, probability, geometry, trigonometry makes a lot of sense to me.

Which I think was shown in my GCSE maths exams. I got a C overall. I was on the higher paper. I got A's and a B in the calculator papers, and D's in the non-calculator papers (I'm fairly certain I got my marks on those papers because of my workings out).

So, am I bad at maths? Yes! No? I don't know.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2014, 11:02 am

I'm taking Geometry this year. It is a real pain in the butt for me - the functions, theorems and examples do not grasp to me and I really struggle to get good grades on quizzes/tests. I was shocked to get a 70 last time. YES! A C-. Usually it's low Ds or even Fs on tests, because even when I study I still can't get the material. I'm about ready to go find someone at Sylvan or another one of those learning centers and find a tutor for Geometry. Everyone says Algebra II next year is way easier, we'll see about that. Algebra I was OK for me but I did have a few hard problems. I also struggled with 6th grade math and was put in SPED math the next year and the year after. I don't know why you need to learn this very complicated math, the only people that really need it are architects, construction, maybe CEOs and big business people, etc. If I had the chance, I'd stop after Algebra I.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2014, 3:58 pm

Being autistic doesn't = good at math.

Frankly a lot of your performance at math deals with how well you learn it. Many schools are HORRIBLE at teaching any subject.

We learn at different paces. If you can't keep up, you're left behind.

I knew a mother whose kid was labeled "too stupid to learn math," and she got him into a different school. They took the time to work with him until he understood the concepts of math, and once he was comfortable with them, he took off....taking college level math classes long before finishing high school.

He just needed more time to learn it.

Likewise, I didn't appreciate much of the math I was supposed to learn in high school until I found a practical use for it. The academic way of learning in class and doing practice problems at home was so BORING I couldn't focus on it or take an interest in it.

inconelx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2014, 8:36 pm

Im not bad at math per say, just not as good as other things. (still test above average in math, and somehow got A in differential equations)

Though I would say my problem Is that I havent found a fun way to learn it, and unlike most other areas where i can become near expert with little effort math still requires study for me. thus I neglected it earlier.

Now I regret that as I look to complete my engineering degree and possibly persue a higher degree someday, and realize I need to learn things i deliberately neglected because I thought I could get away with it. (and did for the most part, almost never did homework)