Page 2 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 7:15 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I am an English major.

Rock on, my degree is in rhetoric. Your autistic mind will fit in perfectly with literary theory, guaranteed.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2015, 2:08 am

I just graduated college last week with a Bachelor's of Science in Genetics. I still have to go to medical school in order to become a clinical geneticist, but I'm enjoying the start of my year off doing lab research (at the same lab I've worked in since 2013). The glowing bacteria from the earlier posts made me happy. I also have wondered about glowing poop. If only gut bacteria expressed fluorescent proteins.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 8:04 am

Quote:
If you've got autism I see the theater class being a struggle

Doesn't have to be. It could be a great way to improve social and communication skills more so than any social skills session could ever do. It all depends on if you have the wiring for it or not.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 2:38 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I am an English major.

Rock on, my degree is in rhetoric. Your autistic mind will fit in perfectly with literary theory, guaranteed.

Actually, I want to use my English degree to see if I can break into film as a writer, but if not, then into journalism.

As for literary theory, my current English class is on Native American literature. It's a great class, hardly anyone is actually Native, and the professor makes many in the class laugh easily.

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2015, 3:03 pm

screen_name wrote:
Communications

I haven't registered for my classes yet, but thanks for the insight. I want to major in Aviation and do Calculus, but am not sure about competing for an engineering job at Boeing, which i would like to do.

TealOtter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2015, 5:28 pm

Einfari wrote:
I just graduated college last week with a Bachelor's of Science in Genetics. I still have to go to medical school in order to become a clinical geneticist, but I'm enjoying the start of my year off doing lab research (at the same lab I've worked in since 2013). The glowing bacteria from the earlier posts made me happy. I also have wondered about glowing poop. If only gut bacteria expressed fluorescent proteins.

Awesome! I was a molecular biology major before changing to Spanish and History. The fluorescent plates made me happy too :) I used to work in a lab that looked at C. elegan gut function, what do you work on?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 5:56 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I am an English major.

Actually, I want to use my English degree to see if I can break into film as a writer, but if not, then into journalism.

As for literary theory, my current English class is on Native American literature. It's a great class, hardly anyone is actually Native, and the professor makes many in the class laugh easily.

You'll still have to take literary theory at some point, it may be called texts and contexts, literary theory, or intro to literary thought, etc. It's the entire framework needed to write a critical essay on a text, I'd be really amazed if your college didn't require it even for a writing degree.

As for Native American literature I went to a very diverse college that had a large NA community-- even two of my English professors were native. I didn't take NA literature but my thesis class was "Indigenous Female Representation in Text"-- obviously a lot of NA literature was involved. To be honest it's not really my cup of tea, but it was an opportunity to broaden my perspective.

cellogirl42
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jun 2015, 12:18 pm

Afasia wrote:
Cognitive Science & Analytic Philosophy.

Anyone in the field?

I'm certainly connected. I'm studying theoretical linguistics, math, and ancient languages. Not a triple major, I've got the double in linguistics and ancient languages with a minor in math. I think a math major would actually kill me.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2015, 1:10 pm

I'm majoring psychology. At first, I majored it to find out what's wrong with me. Now, I realized that I want to help people with their mental conditions. Also, I want to be a psychologist when I finish college. However, I'm still a rookie.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2015, 1:13 pm

I'm studying biomedicine.

Trying to decide whether I'd like to go into neuroscience or medical microbiology when I'm done with my bachelor's degree.

nouedis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2015, 2:25 pm

I'm in the process of learning about nootropics. So, I'm constantly checking out websites and looking up the origin of where that specific drug came from.

cupter
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Jun 2015, 3:27 pm

I'm just starting college this year to keep my dream of being a zoologist alive. I can't decide if I want to get my bachelor's in molecular biology and genetics first and then transfer after my first four years to a different school that actually has zoology, or get a degree in professional biology and then go to graduate school for evolutionary biology and ethology. The latter seems more likely.
I just want to study animals but my college doesn't have just plain zoology.

TealOtter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2015, 12:50 pm

cupter wrote:
I'm just starting college this year to keep my dream of being a zoologist alive. I can't decide if I want to get my bachelor's in molecular biology and genetics first and then transfer after my first four years to a different school that actually has zoology, or get a degree in professional biology and then go to graduate school for evolutionary biology and ethology. The latter seems more likely.
I just want to study animals but my college doesn't have just plain zoology.

Yeah, my university is the same way. The people I know that are interested in zoology are doing a concentration in ecology/evolution because that's the closest we have for doing that.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 12:55 pm

I'm not in school of any kind, but I'm studying semantics and number theory. Sort of. I'm a CS geek and my current fascination is with ternary relational databases; stuff that needn't work like Excel. I've been trying to learn enough to bind heuristics/semantics to animated graphing libraries.

...GERONIMO!

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2015, 3:54 pm

I currently still am going to high school. In the Netherlands we have a system. "Basis kader" is the most easy to study, then comes VMBO, VMBO-T, HAVO and VWO is the most difficult. I'm currently in my last year of HAVO.

After that I want to study Economics - International Event, Music & Entertainment Studies in Tilburg. My dream job would be to be an important eventmanager or bandmanager. My mother is warning me for the disabilities I have because of my autism, but if I'm going to choose the easy path, how am I ever going to face those disabilities? I want to become completely independent.

Commander
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:59 pm

I'm a business major with my focus being entrepreneurship. I haven't gotten too far into my major specific courses yet, but the freedom of the focus is rather interesting to me and my often out there way of thinking.