Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2015, 3:45 pm

When it comes to math I have a really difficult time learning the math rules that must be followed from step by step in order to solve the equations. Sometimes I feell that I make the math so much more difficult then what it really is.

When it comes to other subjects like physics, history, chemistry, philosophy or biology I use a site called thegreatcourses that I am now in University level understanding because they teach the lectures on a totally different way the amount of depth is unmatched, I am a highly visual learner. http://www.thegreatcourses.com/ My math is more in a early high school level.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 2:50 am

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/

The MIT math courses work similar to what you described for the other courses, this might be what you need

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2015, 6:28 am

izzeme wrote:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/

The MIT math courses work similar to what you described for the other courses, this might be what you need

Thanks for the info allot of useful content the only problem is this is way beyond the area I am in math.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 6:32 am

Have you tried Khan academy?

https://www.khanacademy.org/

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2015, 6:43 am

I have tried it a little before although not that much. I think I might need to give it another go I do find it interesting the explanations but the coursework can put me off sometimes with that it doesn’t match sometimes with the explanation's. One thing that frustrates me that I advance so deeply in other subjects but math its like its an alien language to me.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2015, 6:59 am

I presume you are at a highschool level. If you are genuinely having a hard time doing step by step problems there could be an issue. Maths is accumulative. If you don't understand a certain part of mathematics, you won't understand the stuff after it. Each subject starts a new subject. You could not understand a certain subject which hinders your ability to understand other subjects.

I think Khan Academy would be great for you. The videos are organized (unlike YouTube for instance) and they are quite clear. You should check it out.

I am also baffled that you understand university level physics and your maths level is early high school. Maths is the language of physics.

By the way. As soon as I saw the word math in this thread I wanted to help.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Eternally500
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2015, 7:48 am

Rudin wrote:
I presume you are at a highschool level. If you are genuinely having a hard time doing step by step problems there could be an issue. Maths is accumulative. If you don't understand a certain part of mathematics, you won't understand the stuff after it. Each subject starts a new subject. You could not understand a certain subject which hinders your ability to understand other subjects.

I think Khan Academy would be great for you. The videos are organized (unlike YouTube for instance) and they are quite clear. You should check it out.

I am also baffled that you understand university level physics and your maths level is early high school. Maths is the language of physics.

Thanks for noticing me asking for advice I will try out Khan Academy more, yes math is the language of physics. The important part is that in physics its extremely important to have imagination. That is the major problem when physics is teached that this is not told enough. Here in Norway the three years you go to high school you barely learn at all about physics mostly just about Newtonian physics and Einstein special relativity.

It took only Einstein 9 weeks to develop the special theory of relativity on the other hand it took him 8 to 9 years with the general theory of relativity. Its when you come to quantum mechanics and Einstein’s general relativity that math is so much more important. Quantum Mechanics sure can be odd sometimes.

When I found this website a few years ago that is when it all changed for me they have some many deep courses and they go some much more into information that is so much more relevant to understand. http://www.thegreatcourses.com/

When I am out training usually 5 to 6 times a week this is all I listen to its like a disease almost I think, what frustrates me the most is that I don’t have the right opportunities yet to be able to use it all the information I learn.

Living as an autistic person in the society we live in today is so primitive is so many ways when it comes to education. Democracy in itself really has a big problem in making the education system more compatible with the internet or net we live with today. In my opinion democracy its to much about being comfortable with the 20th century education model. Einstein’s theory’s was a radical in his time when one thinks about it, the educational system should be to.

piiigs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2015, 11:22 am

Try to draw graphs in your head. For me it works great... algebraic rules just need to learn by heart like learning a new language.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 12:40 am

I'm glad you're giving Khan Academy another try. I can't recommend it enough because of the free practice, being told the moment you're wrong, and giving you the steps it took to be right. And that's just one layer of support, the other is that it keeps track of what you show proficiency in, what you struggle with, and what you haven't even tried. For me, it was the one-stop math tutor with infinity more patience than the real thing. That site is like a gym for your mathematical brain.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2015, 3:39 am

Eternally500 wrote:
Rudin wrote:

Thanks for noticing me asking for advice I will try out Khan Academy more, yes math is the language of physics. The important part is that in physics its extremely important to have imagination. That is the major problem when physics is teached that this is not told enough. Here in Norway the three years you go to high school you barely learn at all about physics mostly just about Newtonian physics and Einstein special relativity.

It took only Einstein 9 weeks to develop the special theory of relativity on the other hand it took him 8 to 9 years with the general theory of relativity. Its when you come to quantum mechanics and Einstein’s general relativity that math is so much more important. Quantum Mechanics sure can be odd sometimes.

I don't know if it is relevant, but Einstein struggled a bit with the mathematics part himself. His wife Mileva helped him a lot with the calculations.

Just saying that there are a lot of different minds out there.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2015, 12:17 am

You said you're a highly visual learner, so you might not have it, but have you heard of NVLD (Nonverbal Learning Disability)? I also have massive struggles in math, but I excel in many other subjects, especially English. I could never figure out why I had so many problems with math. No matter how often I studied, nothing stuck. Last year, I finally learned I have NVLD. If you haven't heard of it, look it up. I was flabbergasted by what I saw; it defined me perfectly.