Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

quiet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2007, 3:28 am

Preston wrote:
To my understanding, any I take will probably involve regular verbal participation each class.

Yes, foreign language classes do involve lots of speaking. I had to take two years (16 credit hours) of foreign language classes to get my BA. In the first year each semester was 5 credit hours which meant that we had to show up five days a week and talk. I never skipped class.

Most of the time it was just the teacher asking us to answer a question. The only bad part were small groups where we had to interact (in English) with other students. That, of course, was the worst part.

luvinmykid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2007, 9:18 am

My college required an ENTIRE course on oral presentations. It was the most stressful semester ever. And, for some odd reason, everytime I got up to present, I turned into a southie from Boston... my professor used to hide his laughter through the entire presentation.

Apollo13
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2007, 6:12 pm

yay, doing presentations was always about the worst thing in the world for me to do. I would go through a ritual of throwing up about an hour before and I think use the restroom every 5 minutes until it happened. The first time I think I about blinded someone with a laser pointer and cussed under my breath but of course had a microphone on that picked it up with perfect clarity.

I think eventually I have become fairly good at doing them. I have a conversational style that at least some people find accessible. The important thing is treat it like your telling a story. Have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Since I tend to talk in a monotone, I add hints to vary my rate and pitch.

Taken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2007, 8:05 pm

I love them...far prefer them to one on one interaction. With oral presentations there is no eye contact necessary because no one knows if you are looking at another person behind them or just in to oblivion. No need to read anyones emotions or gauge responses based on their response or comfort level...it's just telling what you know. They are only people if you separate them in to individuals. Try looking at it that way and it may help your confidence. It is 90% your mental attitude toward doing it that makes or breaks you. As for subject matter if you have any slack about what you speak on try to creatively tie it in to something you are very versed on or have a personal inkling for then you can shoot from the hip well even if you forget whats on your note cards. This is where being able to obsess or focus on one thing immensely comes in real handy.

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2007, 2:29 am

i HATE oral reports.

But I can stand up for a crowded aula and talk about something that's interesting to me. I just imagine the crowd as pigs. And answering questions requires me to wear sunglasses. But I answer them.

Aradford
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2007, 10:55 am

I had one of these for my english class in Uni, I ended up skipping it. It was for a computer tech theory course studying the effects and roles of technology in the literary institution and the class was boring. I gave the professor a paper outlining an existential perspective on technology and man and how mankind has lost its freedoms by its own creation.

Presentations suck though, people are looking at you with that calculating eye, trying to determine and understand you.

SweXtal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2007, 11:29 am

I can stand up and hold a lecture about almost anything as long as I don't have
* A) 1500 people around me both on stage and elsewhere but is located in a cozy cafeteria or so,
* B) I don't have a bad day. Because then every person trying to ask me something "smart" will get his/hers head bitten of with a comment he/she probably never will forget.
* C) When I still worked with computers and was a grumpy expensive server slave I astonished a whole company with 70 employees. My boss had warned them that I could be somewhat odd. I scrapped that, sat me in in the companys situation without notes and held a 4 hour lecture in the business system we where introducing to them. I didn't mind the 5000€ bonus either.

And I have called the same VP b***h. But something must have been right because he's actually asked me if i need a job (!) again today. So I do, but I have to be a relief for my ex for the moment because she's walking around on her knees.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2007, 7:59 pm

Oral presentations are the bane of my existence. Every time one comes along I just freeze and can't get a single word out. At least most people are understanding and don't laugh, it's almost like they know I have Asperger's. Hmm...

beyondtheinfinite
Raven
Raven

07 Sep 2007, 4:35 pm

Oral reports are very tough for me. It's a lot easier if I'm allowed to use notes, because then I have an excuse to look at something other than the audience. I get marked down for not making eye contact, but its better than freezing up entirely. I try to memorize the entire speech beforehand, and practice reciting it a few times before actually doing it. That helps cut down on the stress a little, though I'm still usually soaked in sweat by the time I finish. The upside is that the whole period is devoted to presentations, so if I go first I can then zone out and calm down over the entire rest of the class period.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

11 Sep 2007, 3:32 am

I had to do oral presentations all through primary to high-school. It was the worst!! !

I would stutter, drop my que cards, sway from side to side etc. One time at intermediate school I fainted while doing one because I was so anxious.

I hate them with a passion lol.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2007, 7:40 am

I love oral presentations, but hate them under certain conditions. For one, I prefer a structured environment, quietness and a long time before the actual presentation during which I could research and make my presentation. I hate being given a paper and being told to make up an oral presentation in 15 minutes in the middle of a noisy classroom. I have only little to say then.

In case I can do an oral presentation the way I described earlier, I really love doing them. I can't read from a paper and I dislike learning phrases by heart, so I just go to the front, keep emergency notes with me and start talking. My language isn't the best then, but I'm surprised that I seem to have a way of making my listeners pay attention and be as interested as the circumstances allow in what I have to say. I love talking (on stage) and talking freely in a classroom in position of a teacher feels great.

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2007, 4:53 pm

Suprisingly I am not very afraid of them anymore.

In middle school and high school I was HORRIFIED of them.

dasanbe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2007, 12:08 pm

Oral presentations are fun. I think it's annoying in the class room if I have to hear anyone elses voice rather then my own. If I could I would do all the talking and then some more.

autisticsaz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Oct 2007, 12:03 pm

I find oral presentations difficult because I think that everyone in my college class will laugh at me but I done really well. I am studying OCR Nationals level 1 in health and social care and we have to give out oral presentations in all of our units (16 units in total!! !) but the tutor and all my friends (the whole class) didn't laugh at me. Before I gave my oral presentation I checked with my tutor that all my presentation sentences were correct and understandable because some of the words would have been hard to pronounce as they are difficult for everyone to understand. But guess what!! ! I GOT TOP MARKS FOR IT :D :D :D

p.s. most of my friends bunked off because they were too scared to give their presentations out in class.

Cafeaulait
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2013, 4:12 pm

I NEED TO GIVE A PRESENTATION TOMORROW

Ornithicas
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Dec 2013, 6:31 pm

Apparently there is no prohibition against thread necromancy here; excellent.

My English language GCSE is effectively complete now; I sat the last examination mere weeks ago, though the official, "finalised" results will not be disclosed until January, 2014. I'm hoping for an A*, however, the only reason that is even possible for me is because of the greatly reduced role that oral assessments now seem to have in this qualification.

I have a hard time speaking to one person that I don't know closely (or at all) without stammering; ordering a takeaway over the phone, for example. I was more than a little displeased when – I believe it was about a year ago – I was told to read the contents of a PowerPoint presentation to my class, for some small percentage of my overall GCSE grade.

Fortunately we were allowed to work in pairs, and the majority of the talking was handled by the fellow with whom I was working. I avoid such things like the plague in almost all circumstances.

Also, with the exception of English, examinations have never really been my strongpoint for learning either. I’ve learned from experience that essay-writing and coursework come far more naturally to me.