Do/did you like to be around the teacher more than peers?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 11:54 am

I had a topic about questioning the teacher but I remember Elementary I'd help the teacher clean the classroom after class and chat then. I even helped my older sisters second grade teacher set up for class (I'd help before class started) I loved this teacher interaction time which IMO is why I continued it in College. I feel a semester about 5-6 months isn't enough time to get to know a teacher and for me it's all about how I'm treated. Speech teacher: OH I'M BUSY LEAVE ME ALONE! Psychology teacher: Oh I have these papers to grade can you come back tomorrow? Me: Sure thing. I even had the psychology teacher 2 semesters in a row (and yall know what happen there got 2 months into 2nd semester Feb and yall know!! !) LOL!

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:09 pm

I found it much easier to interact with the teachers than other students. Other students would engage in pranks and whatnot that I didn't understand at the time, and now I realize that they may have been trying to reach out to me. My attention would be fixated on the teachers, I think because they're the ones who did most of the talking, so whatever capacity I had for interpreting cues would be centered on them.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:32 pm

Yep. I greatly preferred adult company as a child.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 1:33 pm

I was always afraid of the teachers and my peers. I do find that I prefer being around people who are older or even younger.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 6:09 pm

Yeah to a point. At college I always sit at the front near the teacher but also so there's a seat or 3 between me and my classmates.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 6:42 pm

In elementary school, I'd always be hanging around the duty teacher on the playground, instead of playing with my peers. I felt more comfortable talking to grownups than I did, talking to people my own age.

ursaminor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 8:36 pm

I used to.
And still do now but with my science teacher.
Although that is mostly a practical relationship to get information about mathematics and physics somehow.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 10:05 pm

Yes, even when the teachers were bullies. Go figure.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 9:43 am

At high school my relation to the teachers were fine. I would answer the questions asked and ask further questions. They looked at me with high regards. But at college the relationship changed I felt shy and intimidated when talking to the teachers. Maybe it was because my depression that made me feel worthless or because I failed some disciplines. At college there is an environment that is more competitive and people don´t talk to teachers so much.

sbombard15
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2010, 4:24 pm

I am a senior in high school and enjoy talking to my librarian way more then my friends. I can have an intellectual conversation with teachers instead of the stupid conversations I have with my friends.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 11:01 am

I've always enjoyed socializing with my teachers more than peers. It was difficult in elementary school, because I was forced to go outside for recess, when I would have much rather stayed inside to talk to my teacher or to read by myself. But that's one great thing about college- it's not considered "odd" or out of place to become close with your professors. I had about four close peer friends in college, but I had almost as many professors I was close with. And in college, you can TA for your favorite professors and take multiple classes taught by your favorite professors, which is something you never got to do in pre-college days.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 9:44 pm

Yes, I had wonderful relationships with my teachers and professors both, in elementary, jr high, high schools and in college/uni. I'm sure they saw me as different. I was usually quiet and paid attention. I helped them do things at recess or after school was out. Two of them told me they wished they could adopt me and seriously meant it. Those two teachers have no idea how wonderful that made me feel at that time in my life. I was fortunate to have great teachers and professors.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 5:17 pm

I'm still in school, and the only person I really socialize with is my last year's French teacher. He doesn't mind me coming over for a chat during lunch and my (and his) spare period, and even invited me to dinner once the school year is over. He has some autistic tendencies, and his brother is high functioning autistic. I've met his brother, too.

Besides him, I sometimes do talk to my other teachers, but they don't seem so willing to associate with me. They're always busy doing something, and it's frustrating.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Jheuloh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2010, 1:13 pm

I've always had a preference for teachers over peers. Teacher-student friendship has thus far never been an issue for me.

Berlin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2010, 2:19 am

Great question! At the high school level, I didn't really like being around anybody. I was heavily bullied by the students and was pretty much afraid to go to class. So even though I'm very intelligent - obsessive about the subjects I'm interested in in fact - I didn't do that well in school. Plenty of very superficial popular students probably got higher grades than me, but from what I understand in university a lot of them did poorly. Lots of grade inflation in my high school I think.

There were a few good teachers here and there - including a fantastic history/social studies teacher who delivered amazing lectures (and had a wicked sense of humor) - but I never really became close to them. Sadly I find that intellectuals don't really go into high school teaching - even though I think it would be better if they had mastery of their subjects rather than "ed school." The pay and prestige suck, and it attracts people for the wrong reasons (i.e. I graduated university and I don't know what to do now). But they treated me better than the students did I guess.

At university it was different. It took a while to muster up the courage to really talk to good professors, and good TA's. But I quickly realized I really liked the academic life, and have pursued this career path. Was a little uncomfortable in terms of being seen as violating "boundaries" though and I'm sure I yapped on and on too much for their liking, even though some are now friends.

JP88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Oct 2010, 1:49 am

Yeah I'm told and I can see that I get along with older people better than peers at my age, I remember when I was in elementary school, I would always sit in the front of the bus and talk to the bus driver named Art. I would always volunteer to clean the chalkboard as everyone waited for the bus standing behind their put up chair. I always asked many questions and always talked to my teachers when I was small. I also use to give them presents up until I think 6th grade.

Anyway in high school, I was very quiet most of the time and I know many teachers realized that I wasn't sociable, popular, and got bullied. My lonliest, saddest feelings came when a class was done early:

My senior year was rough with this...I had 3 classes with no friends or anyone I could talk to in.

*Physics - Had mostly popular girls/guys in class...There were lab tables on 2 ends of the room with a huge open area in the middle and I sat on the right side by myself with only 2 girls in front of me and 2 people behind me, 1 at each desk too (One was a weird girl and the other was a new girl)

*Math - This was a sad one...I sat at the back of the room by myself and when class ended early I heard every story by the popular girls and guys. Many things about ball, etc... The teacher was a young girl and the few girls would chat with her every time while everyone else had a partner, I just sat with a blank stare waiting for the bell to ring. Many times I saw my teacher look at me and feel sorry, and that got me sad.

*Computer Networking - This one was really personal. It was a 2 part course in which I had the same teacher last year and most of my class, which was only 7. All guys. I didn't like 4 of them as they usually were jerks to me and the other 2 were okay, I usually sat next to a pair of best friends, one I didn't like and the other was cool. The teacher obviously knew us all for 2 years before this as everyone took a basic cpu class in 10th grade and then all of us took her class last year. So she knew how everyone acted, etc... Well many times events like the ball or homecoming would brought up and I remember when she asked if I was going and it was really tough to hold back tears. Another time one of the kids said how he was accepted to state college, so she asked me if I had yet since she knew that was my aspiration and I told her I got "waited list"...then also everyone would open up about relationships to her, school gossip, whatever. It was like she saw how everyone else was normal, had social skills, and then there is me in the corner, quiet as a rock. I could tell she felt bad for me and I hated it. I never wanted that, I always wanted teacher to be proud and say "Wow, that kid was one of the best I ever taught."

I just felt like a failure and a dissapointment. I wish I was back in HS though and I wish I could start over from Middle School where I tarnished my reputation for good.

Wow that was a long rant, had to blow off this steam.