Page 1 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 9:39 pm

I don't think I was ever in special ed. I was just in ESL for a few years. Prior to university I didn't really get too low in terms of marks.

One thing I don't understand is why some people are in special ed even though they don't score particularly low marks.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 9:52 pm

i was in spec ed for a few years in elementary school. i was slow. am still slow. i could never pay attention for more than a few seconds at a time.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:15 pm

I attended a special ed program at a preschool for about two and a half years before starting elementary school.

redwulf25_ci
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2010, 11:29 pm

I was in full time special ed from 1st grade until 5th and split between mainstream and special ed until 9th. It was during the 80's so AS was not a diagnosis in use at the time. I was there due to dysgraphia, dyspraxia, and epilepsy and a few behavioral and hyperactivity issues (due I think to the anti-seizure meds I was on not the ADD/ADHD that also wasn't in use as a diagnosis during that time) along with children who's only disability was their wheel chair.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2010, 11:41 pm

I never was. I was home schooled until 8th grade, in school after that. I don't know that I could have handled public school (not academically, for a bunch of other reasons) but I did great in private school.

I don't know much about special ed. My mom is an OT, so I have been in special ed rooms with her a lot, so I ought to know more about it. I think it's more about a kid that needs one-on-one instruction. There's a reason for why someone is getting low marks, and depending on that reason determines if they will be in special ed. There are IEPs and there is all special ed classes...I don't really know how IEPs work. There are different degrees you graduate with. I graduated with a high school degree...there are also occupational degrees, and I think there is one other type. I'm not sure how they are distributed based on IEP/special ed.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 9:03 am

I have always been in mainstream school but in highschool I was put on the SEN (special educational needs) register so I had a little bit of support behind the scenes.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 8:36 am

jc6chan wrote:
One thing I don't understand is why some people are in special ed even though they don't score particularly low marks.

Simple.

School doesn't know what else to do with them.

I got low scores. Even got most all F's (started my problems). It was because kids were brutal and cruel towards me. Parent's hauled me to a therapist. Testing showed no learning disability and a borderline genius IQ. Still, I was failing school.

I got shoved in the EDP group (emotional disturbed people) where the classwork as brain-dead simple rather than the honors class. The only positive thing that came from that is that I made a friend or two because the "social rejects" were kinder to me than the average student was.

Eldanesh
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2010, 9:55 pm

I was an honours student throughout my public schooling.
However, it was clear I was "slow", I understood everything but never had time to finish.
So in my last year (the year I was also diagnosed) I was accommodated for extra time on tests. I didn't want it, and I still don't know if I agree with it, but my marks jumped to 4.3 in enriched classes. I guess my point is that aspies in particular should investigate compensating for the slowness (common processing issues). It could really let the system see how bright you are in every other way.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 11:05 pm

I'm in special ed.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2010, 11:46 pm

jc6chan wrote:
I don't think I was ever in special ed. I was just in ESL for a few years. Prior to university I didn't really get too low in terms of marks.

i was never in special ed because i was able to mask my academic struggles and get decent marks. and as long as the student gets good marks, the teachers don't care. i was always relatively well behaved, with the exception of meltdowns.

i can handle it when i have minimal workload, like now. when it gets heavy, though, i get stressed because i can't move through my work at a fast pace. i could technically do it fast, but i learn nothing as a result of doing it.

i get some accomodations now, but i'm still choosing to avoid them as much as possible and try to cope on my own. i think the only kids at my school who are officially in special ed are those who struggle with their grades. more kids have IEPs than the ones in special ed. these kids with IEPs are not in special ed because they're coping well with schoolwork.

i don't know why, the teachers have always made exceptions for me. like, i've gotten an extra half an hour to write an essay in grade 12. in grade 10, my history teacher let me do a group assignment on my own.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 5:06 pm

MathGirl wrote:

i don't know why, the teachers have always made exceptions for me. like, i've gotten an extra half an hour to write an essay in grade 12. in grade 10, my history teacher let me do a group assignment on my own.

The teachers didn't know you had aspergers?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 12:17 am

jc6chan wrote:
MathGirl wrote:

The teachers didn't know you had aspergers?
i'm not sure. i have a feeling that they suspected it. i have no idea why they made these decisions, what was going on behind the scenes, but i'm pretty sure that something was going on. it was my personal decision to not accept any help and to refuse to see any shrinks. and i've been offered help in the past at school, but i turned against any sort of intervention. i didn't want my life to be invaded.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Teung
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2010, 1:09 am

I'm in it right now, and I absolutely hate being in it. :evil:

cazzie2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jun 2010, 5:19 am

i was in special ed from the age of 10 till 18 then went to college from 18 till 23.
from the age of 4-10 i was in and out of special ed to namal ed then back to special ed but by the age of 10 they find me the right special ed :D

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 11:09 am

I was in special ed from first grade until tenth grade. All it got me was a belly full of hate. My grades in 11th and 12th grades were in the 75-80's range. Not great but not bad. I would have been better off not being in special education. The only thing I really had a problem with was in math and I only had to take that for two years of that. I do not think I would have done well in a college environment it would have been a horrible waste of parent's money. :(

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 7:52 pm

Yes and the very next year my parents took me out to homeschool me.