Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

penguain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Aug 2006, 7:01 pm

Theres a kid who sits in front of me in one of my classes who i know has AS but I'm unsure on how to talk to him about it

Penguain

krex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 7:18 pm

Does he know he has AS....Do you?If the answer to both is yes....amybe you could ask him if he ever visits wrong planet and go from there?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

penguain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Aug 2006, 7:19 pm

i do... and i don't think he knows i do

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 11:52 pm

Don't talk about WrongPlanet at school. The last thing you want is your classmates hounding you in one of the few save places, real or virtual, that you have. On top of that, we'll have a bunch of NT bullies on our hands. If you must talk to him about AS, ask him if he's ever heard of it, then proceed from there. Once you're absolutely sure you can trust him, then you can briefly mention WP in passing, but still don't tell him you're on it, until he tells you first.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 12:15 am

Thanks Aspie1...I am so trusting sometimes...I forget about the preditors out there...dah on me...You are absolutely right....The last thing I want is about od NT's on here bullying folks :oops:

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 7:08 pm

I have the same issue, there's this kid in my class I'm sure is an aspie (even more than I am), but he doesn't know about it (not that I know of, at least). It'd be awkward if he said "No, what is it, do you have it? Why? How do you know? Why do you think I have it?" et cetera.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2006, 11:24 am

I did go to school with someone like that, and she really wasn't very nice to me about it.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 3:52 pm

That's probably why I'm overly cautious in who I tell about my AS. As a general rule, I only bring it up if I know that they'd be understanding about it. For example, I have a close friend whose younger brother is autistic and she knows I have AS. The other person who I told was my roommate because we have to live in the same room, so I figured it was best she knows.

If I were you, I wouldn't say anything to him about it. The reason is that sometimes kids aren't ready to know and if they find out that they might have AS before they're ready (I know this sounds really wierd), it will end up causing more harm than good most of the time.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2006, 1:42 am

Why not befriend him, and not mention the AS at all? It seems as though Aspies make good friends for other Aspies (or other people with non-typical brains), diagnosed or not; they have so much in common. A lot of Aspies who are in college right now have never been diagnosed--as kids, they were probably labeled as behavior problems or ADHD. In any case, your goal here is to get to know the guy, right? So... that's what you do. Don't worry about the nuances of diagnosis.

Later on, if you want to say, "I have AS--that's why I'm so eccentric", then go ahead... he may reply by telling you about whatever makes him different, or he may just say, "OK, cool" and leave it at that.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

lynxeye1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Oct 2006, 1:18 pm

I know an aspie at my school, we live on the same floor of the dorm, he told me he had it when we met to explain his quirks. then i told him i had it also. I like to hang out with him some times but im social for an aspie. I showed him the girl i met here "Tina_Watercrest" over web cam its was fun to see 3 asipes interact.

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2006, 9:41 pm

An interesting story:

Back in January of 2005, I was a freshman in Rhode Island. Earlier in the year, in the school administration's attempts to give me a social life, I had met a tenth grader who had moved from Massachussetts, the name of whom I will withhold.

I remember that he had a lot of Aspie characteristics. His social life was pretty much nonexistant. But I thought nothing more - he was a new student, and my close-knit high school (which one isn't?) was pretty brutal.

(Even, one year later. He was in my Algebra 2 class. One day, when he was absent, one of the post-preppy snobs who sat behind me said something to the tune of that we could care less whether he was here or not)

Until January 2005 came. I was in Waltham, Massachusetts, listening to someone with AS speak about - among other things I forget - how driving a car is difficlut for those with AS because of the concentration and motor skills it takes. I remember looking around, just looking at the different faces - people-watching, I guess, in such a strange place for it - and seeing him, whom I knew from school.

I suck at facial recognition when it's out of context, but there are some cases where I am dead certain I know. This was one of them.

I don't know. I guess we'll (I'm referring to aspies in general here) eventually find each other, like it or not...

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2006, 4:19 am

what i always do is, engage aspergers into a conversation, like say do you know what aspergers is?

Stop talking trash

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 2:26 pm

My psychiatrist once asked ME if I knew what Asperger's is! The cheek!

Yes, approacing an AS with the topic of AS is a good idea.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 9:58 pm

Psychiatrists usually think they're the only people who know about psychological stuff :) A lot of experts are that way--they don't expect the existence of the informed amateur!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

redmountaindew
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Oct 2006, 10:13 am

I don't like people at college to know I have Aspergers, they all make fun of me anyways, because I somehow don't fit in, no one has ever reached out to me to be a friend, people just laugh at me,. I know my body language is a little awkward, and I talk too fast, I just wish people would treat me like other people, be nice to me instead of making fun of me.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 2:40 pm

Callista wrote:
Psychiatrists usually think they're the only people who know about psychological stuff :) A lot of experts are that way--they don't expect the existence of the informed amateur!

Hear hear! My psychiatrist thinks she's Queen Dido. She even has the nerve to organise appointments that fit *her* diary, but not my school timetable, and then call me up and tell me! I have to miss an AS mathematics lesson and Forensic Club at school thanks to her. But she did admittedly help me with my various problems...