Detention, a punishment? You have to be joking!

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ddrapayo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Sep 2010, 6:43 pm

Yeah, when I was in high school you weren't allowed to do anything except work (although since the teacher running detention was very nice, you'd often wind up talking to her). Since I need my laptop for pretty much everything due to handwriting issues, I used it there, but I did work. Mainly because it was quiet and easy for me to focus.

Albinoboy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Sep 2010, 3:59 pm

I just sit there doing programming
If any teacher asks:
"It's for ICT"
hehe

Which reminds me, my head of year has resorted to giving detentions via phone
LOL
So I now have five detentions apparently for missing school (not my fault I was having a bad day)

Pseudeos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2010, 6:51 am

I was given a detention once, but I decided to skip it so I don't really know what happens.

"Are we not in the hands of a lunatic? God isn?t interested in technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the micro-chip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time; 43 species of parrot! Nipples for men!"

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 7:05 am

i never went to detention because i did not want to be prevented from doing the things i wanted to do.

so, for punishment for not turning up at detention , i got more detention, and i did not go to that either.

i must have free time, and detention would have prevented me from experiencing my free time so, i did not bother going.

when i was threatened with the stick for not going to detention, i put my hands in my pockets and refused to pull them out, and so they would have had to hit me elsewhere with the stick, or forcibly assault me to remove my hands from my pockets, and they were not allowed to do that or else it would be a criminal matter.

their answer to my resistance to accept a caning was to expel me, and then it became my parents problem to find a new school for me.

i was not concerned with matters such as that and i managed to do what i wanted with my time all throughout my school years.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2010, 7:52 am

Detention never used to bother me in the slightest. I haven't got it since I was in primary school though. If I was given it now I just wouldn't go.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Azolet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2010, 6:06 pm

The way detentions were run in my middle/high school, you basically just had to sit in a classroom after school. The one time I got detention, I got homework done. It was like study hall, except not.

This discussion reminds me of when I was younger, and my parents would put me in time-outs. I would tell my mom "You can stick me in a corner facing the wall, and I still won't be bored" - I had my thoughts to entertain me :D

CammiTac
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2010, 8:09 pm

I was in orchestra in high school, and we rehearsed after school everyday, and I had a zero hour class that started before school. So when I got detention, it was a lunch detention. They would have us sit at a separate table at the side of the lunch room where we had to eat by ourselves and couldn't speak with anyone.

Yep, it was a real punishment. :roll:

leeloodallas
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2010, 6:32 pm

Agreed, punishment my a$$. I was a regular in detention in the 6th/7th grade and it wasn't that bad. We just had to do something like start on hw and sometimes the detention "host" would talk to us. HS was an inconvenience because it was after school and I had to walk home alone and I liked walking in a group. So what I'd do was not go to detention and ignore it until the administrators caught up with my "record" and gave me internal suspension, which I loved.

In I.S. you have a quiet room to just sit in all day with the coolest (or most lacking in discipline, take your pick) kids in the school. I was never bullied in HS and the IS kids liked me so I always fared well. They were actually nicer than the normal kids. I just drew pictures, wrote stories, and read all day.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2010, 7:35 am

I never really understood it either. Though I don't get detentions there are days where I wish I had one so I could stay in the warmth. Suspensions are even funnier, to think that forcing you to stay home for a week is a punishment. People love suspension, it's a free week off of school.

Albinoboy

09 Oct 2010, 7:46 pm

Avarice wrote:
I never really understood it either. Though I don't get detentions there are days where I wish I had one so I could stay in the warmth. Suspensions are even funnier, to think that forcing you to stay home for a week is a punishment. People love suspension, it's a free week off of school.

I got excluded for a day, that day happened to be a day before the holidays... lol
A day longer of a holiday!

whatsthepoint
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2010, 1:51 pm

its just the world attacking u for being different

krzysz00
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Oct 2010, 5:20 pm

Yep. Never did see the point of detentions or ISS (internal suspension). In my middle school, detention was "here's this huge packet, copy for n hours". (I have horrible handwriting, so cue laptop and the fact that no one reads so putting in [bracket comments] was all clear.

Recently (9th grade) I got ISS for some things. It was reasonable, I got all my work done, especially since my geometry teacher popped in during 3rd period to handle the lesson (on someone else's account (but it was helpful)) Afterward, I just had a good time being bored out of my mind.

Actual suspention is the strangest "punishment" ever invented. Who doesn't want an excuse to stay home. However, I have never been suspended.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2010, 6:46 am

I skipped most detentions and no one cared. When I did go to them I thought they were no big deal, you just sit there writing on a worksheet or even having a nice conversation with the teacher! Then I get to be picked up from school by my parents and not going on the bus for a change so I don't have to walk up hill from the bus stop to my house. That's fine with me.

I was once put in "isolation" for wearing slogan badges on my blazer and wearing vans style shoes (they went really strict with uniform for a while) and I had to sit in this small classroom with 2 others that were in isolation and a teaching assistant. I actually had a lot of fun, no lessons all day and just relaxing. For some reason when I was in year 11 they started calling it "internal exlusion", even though isolation is fine.

Albinoboy

21 Oct 2010, 11:49 am

Still called isolation here!

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2010, 11:49 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I skipped most detentions and no one cared. When I did go to them I thought they were no big deal, you just sit there writing on a worksheet or even having a nice conversation with the teacher! Then I get to be picked up from school by my parents and not going on the bus for a change so I don't have to walk up hill from the bus stop to my house. That's fine with me.

I was once put in "isolation" for wearing slogan badges on my blazer and wearing vans style shoes (they went really strict with uniform for a while) and I had to sit in this small classroom with 2 others that were in isolation and a teaching assistant. I actually had a lot of fun, no lessons all day and just relaxing. For some reason when I was in year 11 they started calling it "internal exlusion", even though isolation is fine.

ISS is a b***h. I never had it though. I only received one detention and that was my senior year. I had brought in some cornflakes for breakfast and the teacher thought I had stolen her cornflakes, so she wrote me up. The detention teacher and I laughed our asses off about it because she thought that the teacher who wrote me up was a moron.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 5:02 pm

Two years ago, I had a really annoying French teacher who detained me for not completing "essential course work" on time. When she told me this, I was unsure of what work she was referring to. When I came to her class after school and realized she expected me to waste three hours of my free time colouring in crudely rendered pictures of musical instruments before writing her a letter of apology for not having done so during school hours, I simply walked out. My dad agreed that colouring in pictures was not essential course work and wrote a letter to her asking for me to be excused from my detention. The same teacher allowed my entire class to physically and verbally abuse a severely autistic girl.