Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 2:43 pm

redmountaindew wrote:
I don't like people at college to know I have Aspergers, they all make fun of me anyways, because I somehow don't fit in, no one has ever reached out to me to be a friend, people just laugh at me,. I know my body language is a little awkward, and I talk too fast, I just wish people would treat me like other people, be nice to me instead of making fun of me.

I can relate... Try finding friends outside college. There's a wider circle out there. Try and find an Asperger's community around your area, or some sort of club (in your field of interest) that you can join. There's always somebody out there, you just need to find that person.

fujikochan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Oct 2006, 10:40 pm

redmountaindew wrote:
I don't like people at college to know I have Aspergers, they all make fun of me anyways, because I somehow don't fit in, no one has ever reached out to me to be a friend, people just laugh at me,. I know my body language is a little awkward, and I talk too fast, I just wish people would treat me like other people, be nice to me instead of making fun of me.

I, too, can relate to what you're talking about. I either attempt to make myself as invisible as possible, or ignore the comments. Finally, in my last semester of undergraduate studies, I have found a small group of people that respect and appreciate me. It does take time, but the student body at large may still harass you. In my case, the small student body at my college has been forced to keep their commentaries quiet. My college is run by a bunch of free speech Nazis...sometimes that comes in handy. :D

Do attempt to make friends outside of college, perhaps over the Internet. I've had mixed success with that, but I find that people are quicker to accept a person when physical features are filtered.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2006, 1:33 pm

fujikochan wrote:
I, too, can relate to what you're talking about. I either attempt to make myself as invisible as possible, or ignore the comments. Finally, in my last semester of undergraduate studies, I have found a small group of people that respect and appreciate me. It does take time, but the student body at large may still harass you. In my case, the small student body at my college has been forced to keep their commentaries quiet. My college is run by a bunch of free speech Nazis...sometimes that comes in handy. :D

Do attempt to make friends outside of college, perhaps over the Internet. I've had mixed success with that, but I find that people are quicker to accept a person when physical features are filtered.

Hear hear! Excellent advice!

I'm trying too with my classmates, and I found a girl who shares my interest in medicine.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

06 Nov 2006, 12:41 am

redmountaindew wrote:

Do attempt to make friends outside of college, perhaps over the Internet.

I've had more sucess with than you can imagine. I mean really, would you expect me to transform someone's life just be talking to them? Nope, but I did it anyway. Now, I've got my first girlfriend. And she's a user of WP! Woot!! !

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 1:31 pm

KBABZ wrote:
I've had more sucess with than you can imagine. I mean really, would you expect me to transform someone's life just be talking to them? Nope, but I did it anyway. Now, I've got my first girlfriend. And she's a user of WP! Woot!! !

Congrats! I'm very glad for you! I'm just about to do a Google search on Aspergers' Communities in London. :P

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

11 Nov 2006, 3:50 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Congrats! I'm very glad for you! I'm just about to do a Google search on Aspergers' Communities in London. :P

Thanks man! We're doing really well so far. Ironically, Aspie Affection comes along shortly after!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 4:02 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Don't talk about WrongPlanet at school. The last thing you want is your classmates hounding you in one of the few save places, real or virtual, that you have. On top of that, we'll have a bunch of NT bullies on our hands. If you must talk to him about AS, ask him if he's ever heard of it, then proceed from there. Once you're absolutely sure you can trust him, then you can briefly mention WP in passing, but still don't tell him you're on it, until he tells you first.

Yes the LAST thing we need is a bunch of jocks and slu*ty whores on this site,tormenting us even more and then i'll have to get a LOT of scud missiles and and destroy those "cool" kids!! !

Back to topic first ask him if he heard of AS and then IF you can trust him enough tell him about wrongplanet.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 1:12 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Thanks man! We're doing really well so far. Ironically, Aspie Affection comes along shortly after!

This site is a GODsend!! !! !! ! :jester:

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 7:57 pm

redmountaindew wrote:
I don't like people at college to know I have Aspergers.

I tell many people because I'm proud of it. I feel like it's a very positive thing. I figure that they're going to think I'm eccentric and "odd" anyway, so why not just tell them the name for it? I don't go around blabbing to everybody, but if I establish some sort of relationship with the person, I'll tell them, and I talk about it in my Abnormal Psych class. I just don't care what people think about me. Never have. And my only two true friends here at my college are both Aspie-esque. The one actually has Asperger's, the other has an extreme number of traits. And, of course, my all-time favorite person here is my one professor. I click with him. He has a child with Asperger's and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he, himself, is an Aspie... :wink:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2006, 11:00 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
I tell many people because I'm proud of it. I feel like it's a very positive thing. I figure that they're going to think I'm eccentric and "odd" anyway, so why not just tell them the name for it? I don't go around blabbing to everybody, but if I establish some sort of relationship with the person, I'll tell them, and I talk about it in my Abnormal Psych class. I just don't care what people think about me. Never have. And my only two true friends here at my college are both Aspie-esque. The one actually has Asperger's, the other has an extreme number of traits. And, of course, my all-time favorite person here is my one professor. I click with him. He has a child with Asperger's and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he, himself, is an Aspie... :wink:
-OddDuckNash99-

I agree. I tell people at my school about my Asperger's because I like them to know why I am so weird. I don't have any friends with Asperger's at school, but I have one outside. At school, I am on the SEN list so all the teachers know I have Asperger's, but that's OK because some of them are really helpful.