waiting for grad school acceptance

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 1:32 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
Fern,
I'm a neuroscientist. It's a field where a Ph.D is really the only way to get the desirable jobs. Master's degrees in neuro are pretty much unheard of and useless. What are you studying? I'm currently reading an fMRI data/stats book on my own so I can hopefully transfer to an fMRI job after six more months of working at my current job. Most of the good fMRI jobs would like you to know the data analysis, and you can't learn that anywhere unless you learn it at a job or in grad school. So, I'm just self-teaching to get ahead in the game. :wink: The hardest thing for me right now is not getting to use my full knowledge/potential. Science is my passion, and I really miss getting to talk about it now that I've graduated college.

Neuroscience sounds fascinating! I'm an entomologist. Although a PhD is not really necessary to work in pest control or public outreach (which is what I'm doing now), I miss being on the front lines of research with an assortment venomous arthropods crawling up my boots. I want to make a career in academia, so that I'll never have to give that up again.

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
I always want to remain true to myself, and it does suck that average know-nothings are accepted with ease because of their social skills. It just seems to come down to a popularity contest and not awarding those with the passion and determination their dream of advanced studies.

That's exactly how I felt when I was declined from the last grad school to which I applied. The prof I was talking to was telling me things like "very impressive!" and "I look forward to seeing the rest of your application," then BAM, rejected on the first day of review. I was crushed and didn't apply to another school for 2 years after that. I am really lucky that a former professor of mine kept in touch all of that time. Now I am applying to a program at his school. We'll see how this goes!

I agree with you that schmoozing is distasteful. The way I went about it instead was to just stay involved in my field, and in doing so, I remained in contact with people who might be interested in my research.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 5:51 am

I am in the sort of the same situation that you are. I have been accepted to a Grad School in the US, as part of my PhD. Now I am raising enough money so that I can afford to go. Not much I can do except, wait, pray and work my ass off when it counts. My parents swear to me that I am going but I am one stressed out bunny at the moment.

Was not spoken of the soul.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 8:06 am

AngelRho wrote:
However, one thing I can say about grad school is that it is never a good idea to try for grad school if you already think you know everything. You shouldn't go to grad school if you are happy with yourself the way you are. If you are content with where you are academically, then grad school won't help you one bit even if you DO get accepted

In a way, it's kinda like dating. You'd like to think you could just be with anyone you want to be with. A lot of things "look good" but lack in real substance. Once you find that rare symbiosis, you've got a relationship worth going all the way with. I hope you find it.

Thank you for the advice, AngelRho. And thank you to everyone else for the sympathy and confirmation that my rejection was odd (and no, I didn't get a reason for being rejected). I appreciate it. Random question for you, Fern- what is your particular specialty in entomology? What type of venemous arthropods? Ants? Bees? Wasps?

No, I certainly don't think I know everything. I'm happy with myself the way I am in EVERY way but in my academic knowledge. I feel so inferior every day not being taken seriously despite my passion and knowledge in the field. I long to learn how to truly analyze fMRI data (just started self-teaching myself with a book), learn how to do MANOVAs, and discover so many things about the brain abnormalities in neuropsychiatric disorders. I have always had a thirst to learn that will never be quenched, and so many of the professors I was close with told me how grad school was WHERE I needed to be. They said that I belong where I can focus and learn all day long.

My college advisor, who I'm close with, said I should "broaden my horizons" in the field, but I think it's silly to spend a ton of money and years of your life doing research on a topic that is NOT your EXACT interest. The trouble is that there aren't a whole lot of neuroscience grad programs that focus on neuropsychiatric disorders from an fMRI perspective. Most work with rats (which I did in college and loathed) and/or with the cellular/molecular level. This is all fascinating to me, of course, but it's not MY passion. And within fMRI-level, my TRUE passion is psychotic bipolar I mania, and you wouldn't believe how FEW programs even study bipolar disorder to begin with. Most psychosis studies are schizophrenia. I just don't want to get my doctorate studying a disorder that isn't my true passion and then never be looked at as an expert in the disorder I DO want to learn about, you know? I'd be more than willing to go for a schizophrenia program, if I knew that I'd be able to do bipolar mania research within that or as a post-doc or whatever.

And as for it being like dating, I've never been on a date. So, that analogy is lost on me. :lol:

It's just frustrating how I literally read advanced science textbooks of all sorts for fun and for my own benefit, trying to better myself and learn the things that I should be learning in grad school but am not due to not having been accepted. All of my professors and my best friend from college (also a neuroscientist- he just started grad school this year) said that the only thing that they can think of for me being rejected is that they wanted to see more research experience on my resume. So, I started a data entry job at a big psych research company six months ago, and I hope to be able to transfer to an fMRI/neuropsych study job after working here a year. (Policy says you can't transfer until one year in a position.)

One thing is for sure, though- I want my doctorate more than anything, and I will NEVER stop trying. It's my dream, and even if I have to completely teach myself graduate-level studies, I will do so. :wink:

Nash: Is there a difference?

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 12:15 am

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
Random question for you, Fern- what is your particular specialty in entomology? What type of venemous arthropods? Ants? Bees? Wasps?

Myrmecological behavior and diversity is my specialty, though I am interested in that of other social insects as well. So right on the button, yes. Because many of the species I've worked with (genera Pogonomyrmex, Solenopsis, & Paraponera) are argued to be some of the most painful stinging insects found on earth, at any given point during field work it is common to see my pants duct-taped to my shoes and/or my raincoat. At my current job I deal with insects from pretty much every order though.

91 - I'll cheer for you if you cheer for me! Maybe with our powers combined we'll both make it into grad school. lol

OddDuck - That sounds like a rough situation. Are there foundations for Bipolar disorder? Perhaps you could check there for prospective advising professors.

Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 3:49 am

Fern wrote:
.91 - I'll cheer for you if you cheer for me! Maybe with our powers combined we'll both make it into grad school. lol

Sounds like a plan mate.

BasalShellMutualism
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2012, 11:56 pm

leviathans wrote:
OddDuckNash99 wrote:
My dream is to get my doctorate, but the biggest struggle is to get accepted. I refuse to change my research interests, my personality, etc. just to "conform" to some grad school's expectations. I am very jaded about the whole modern grad school experience, because I've found over the last couple of years that it seems to be more now about who can make the school look good and make money. I am the quintessential graduate student, in terms of my Aspie passion, drive, and determination, and it really hurts me deeply that I seem to be held back from my dreams of academia for superficial reasons.

You need networking! What really helped me is that I sent an email to prof asking him for doing research one year ago. I also did a lot of small-classes advanced courses. This really helps me because my research supervisor gave me a super good reference letter and he helps me a lot in my application process. He even told me that I had a lot of support from many profs of the department that I'm aplying too. Why did this happen? Because some profs got to know me a bit or remembered my face and thought that I had potential.

So if your gpa isn't stellar like me, you need to build a network of contacts. In my case, it was much easier than I thought it would. I'm so anti-social and yet the department knows me well and my research prof know personally some other potential supervisors from other university so he can encourage them to take me.

Are you Aspie? Do you know how hard it is for some of us just to accept the prescription "Just get to know them". I was in a seminar tonight where we were told to "cultivate relationships" with faculty. How do you do that???? I try to stop in to ask about things or ask about feedback or advice but it seems that some of them just really are in a hurry or don't have much to say.

BTW @OddDuckNash99 - I concur on graduate school cynicism. I have some new hope now, but it still seems to be constrained by the ability to network, "cultivate relationships", and pick the magical combination of things to get you noticed -- all that has little to do with passion and output.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:17 am

91 wrote:
Fern wrote:
.91 - I'll cheer for you if you cheer for me! Maybe with our powers combined we'll both make it into grad school. lol

Sounds like a plan mate.

What are you planning on studying? I suspect I have a clue, but...

Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:43 am

AngelRho wrote:
91 wrote:
Fern wrote:

Sounds like a plan mate.

My postgrad (PhD) specialization is international security. My undergrad major was in philosophy and I do have a couple of articles running around on natural theology.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 9:51 am

91 wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
91 wrote:
Fern wrote:

Sounds like a plan mate.

My postgrad (PhD) specialization is international security.

Heh...you're not going to get any more secure than you will in the states, then. Excellent choice if you come here.

We aren't without problems, though. While you're here, maybe you can suggest better ways of securing our borders. I'm sick and tired of all the Canadiens we have here. ;) :twisted:

Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:20 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Heh...you're not going to get any more secure than you will in the states, then. Excellent choice if you come here.

We aren't without problems, though. While you're here, maybe you can suggest better ways of securing our borders. I'm sick and tired of all the Canadiens we have here. ;) :twisted:

Blame Canada! Studying in the States is a huge oppertunity. You guys have most the best universities.

fiooo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2012, 10:39 pm

BasalShellMutualism wrote:
Do you know how hard it is for some of us just to accept the prescription "Just get to know them". I was in a seminar tonight where we were told to "cultivate relationships" with faculty. How do you do that???? I try to stop in to ask about things or ask about feedback or advice but it seems that some of them just really are in a hurry or don't have much to say.

I think even NTs have this problem with cultivating relationships with faculty. Professors can see through you if you just want to suck up to them for a good letter of rec. But they love talking about their research! So as someone passionate about my field of study, I would often ask professors questions about their research. Also, as an experimentalist, I like to discuss...well...experiments. And often, ideas often bounce around and talking with someone may generate ideas for a cool experiment, which is one of the many reasons why professors and grad students love talking about their research. Another thing is, as a researcher, sometimes the things we do are too theoretical or requires too much background to understand, so we love it when people want to hear what we're working on.

Axion004
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Feb 2012, 3:48 pm

I was in somewhat of a similar position to the OP(I was twenty two and two months away from graduation. I applied to two different graduate schools and about 600 different jobs(No, I am not exaggerating). I got rejected from one of the schools I applied to and I got an offer from 2 out of the 600 jobs which I applied to. I even accepted the job offer one week before graduation. Currently I am working at a software company and plan to complete a MS degree at night. I have no immediate plans for a phd since if I remain working at software companies a phd is not necessary.

tcorrielus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 9:07 pm

I'm trying to get into an Immunology PhD program this summer or fall, but so far a bunch of grad schools that I've applied to have frustratingly rejected me. I have a college GPA above 3.0 and 2 years of research experience, but my GRE scores aren't very high. The admission committees mentioned in those rejection letters that they've received more applications than they can accept and had to reject some of the most-qualified applicants too.

Right now, I'm applying for both research jobs and post-bacc research programs around the country as a PLAN B.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 12:18 am

tcorrielus wrote:
I'm trying to get into an Immunology PhD program this summer or fall, but so far a bunch of grad schools that I've applied to have frustratingly rejected me. I have a college GPA above 3.0 and 2 years of research experience, but my GRE scores aren't very high. The admission committees mentioned in those rejection letters that they've received more applications than they can accept and had to reject some of the most-qualified applicants too.

Yeah, the first grad school I applied to was unimpressed by my GRE scores. Luckily, I just kept studying and retaking it until I scored about 200 points higher, which is about the difference between being in the 30th percentile vs the 75th percentile. Interesting isn't it?

Oh right. In other news, I GOT INTO MY PHD PROGRAM! YAAAY!
;_; I'm so excited! All of those years I foolishly listened to people telling me that I wasn't smart enough to peruse this career, and look where I am! Here's where the real work begins I guess.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:13 am

Fern wrote:
tcorrielus wrote:

Yeah, the first grad school I applied to was unimpressed by my GRE scores. Luckily, I just kept studying and retaking it until I scored about 200 points higher, which is about the difference between being in the 30th percentile vs the 75th percentile. Interesting isn't it?

Oh right. In other news, I GOT INTO MY PHD PROGRAM! YAAAY!
;_; I'm so excited! All of those years I foolishly listened to people telling me that I wasn't smart enough to peruse this career, and look where I am! Here's where the real work begins I guess.

W00h00!! !! !

Congrats!! !! !!

So now you start your next 4-8 years of academic hell. ;) :twisted: Best wishes to you!

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 11:30 am

AngelRho wrote:
W00h00!! !! !

Congrats!! !! !!

So now you start your next 4-8 years of academic hell. ;) :twisted: Best wishes to you!

Hahaha! My thoughts exactly!