What are your intellectual strengths and weaknesses?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 7:21 pm

Hello everybody! It's been so long.

One thing that I am best at is I am a very good computer programmer. It's likely I will end up programming as a career. I have even started to learn how to make apps for iphone and ipad.

Another thing I discovered I am good at is film analysis. I took a film class last fall and I was very successful in part due to being a very visually-oriented person and in part due to being a bit of a movie geek.

My biggest weaknesses were almost always English literature classes, especially ones dealing with poetry or more abstract novels. I didn't have much trouble with Shakespeare though because his works are designed for stage, and I was used to the language from having to read it pretty much every year.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 1:13 pm

I'm good at English and Social Sciences.
Not too good in the social department.
I'm bad at Math, Music, Athletics and certain Sciences that involve math.
I have central auditory processing disorder so I'm kind of slow.

leojewels91
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2013, 8:40 pm

My intellectual skills has always been in the English and History subjects. I also do well in science. My least favorite subject is Mathematics.

I graduated with my associates degree 2 years ago from my hometowns local community college. Now I am doing my Bachelors in English online through Phoenix University, because dorm rooms are expensive. If I was in a different situation altogether I would have decided to attend PACE or Mercy College since I was accepted into both of them. I graduate from Phoenix in two years.

I want to work in teaching, and journalism, or just one or the other. I might even decide to go into the public relations field. If teaching English works out for me I might decide to get a Master's degree in special education.

Back when I was 16 my IQ showed an average of about 78, so I am not the brightest adult on the block. Academic scores averaged about a score of 115 in English, and Math in the 80's range.

I am very talkative, and I enjoy reading, writing, listening to music as well as watching some television shows.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

18 May 2013, 9:07 pm

My strengths, I suppose, include high IQ, creative writing skills , strong memory when I'm motivated enough to use it, strong math skills when I'm motivated even to put them to use.

Weaknesses:
- Being forced to memorize pointless details that pale in comparison to what they are describing. Ex: Who fought in which battle of the civil war and what days they fought on.
-Being forced to tediously focus at length on concepts I grasp immediately... or be prepared to get a D in 'participation'. (i.e: foreign language class in high school)
-Sharing my thoughts in a group (can get it done 17 times more efficiently and painlessly if by myself)
-Expository writing skills (I prefer abstract to fact)

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2013, 1:52 am

Strengths: Writing, foreign language, spelling and grammar
Weaknesses: Math, chemistry, tai chi

Let's just say I took tai chi my first semester of college and I refuse to do it again because I got confused on the formation and some of the gestures. Math is a given because I have NLD and think it also contributed to my confusion in tai chi.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2013, 12:22 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Strengths:
My IQ is high, but I don't remember the exact number. I'm pretty sure it's high enough that I could get into MENSA, if I thought MENSA were anything other than a bunch of people having an arrogance/pity party and thus worth getting into.

As a Mensa member I am going to have to comment on this. Mensa has some jerks, just like every other group in the world, but what fascinates me is that the vast majority of people who make statements like this have never really met or talked to a Mensa member. Most of us did not join Mensa to prove how smart we were. Most Mensans joined to connect with others in their IQ range and have access to resources such as conferences, research journals, special interest groups, and our own online forum. Mensa is also EXTREMELY friendly towards twice-exceptional (gifted and learning disabled) members and has multiple special interest groups to further involve these members. Mensa special interest groups include hobbies, health conditions, religious groups, and all kinds of other groups. It is an active, involving, world-wide community that has a wealth of resources for high-ability individuals.

Also, as a note, I tested because I wanted to know my IQ but had no intention of joining for the reasons listed in the original post. I had believed the stereotype. Then I met some actual Mensans and realized they were some of the most fun to be around and intellectual stimulating people I had ever met. I had to join. Mensa also has deals with many major companies to where I save money on car insurance, hotel rentals, etc.

Overall it's been a great deal. If anyone is interested more in Mensa feel free to private message me.

My strengths are visual-spatial ability, long-term memory, and processing speed. My working memory and auditory processing tend to be lower. My verbal ability is average for my IQ-range. My overall knowledge of subjects is dependent upon if I have gone off on a research period in that subject.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 11:29 pm

Strengths: music, literature, language, history, theater

Weaknesses: everything else.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 6:46 pm

My strength is extreme outside the box conceptual applications and my weakness is anything requiring computers or heavy duty math.

But honestly I've always been well-rounded. For the most part I'm above-average to well-above-average in whatever is thrown at me academically. I've never struggled with anything aside from calculus and computers, and I've never been off the charts at anything.

For some reason when I was a kid I was really, really good at spelling though :lol: I won a grip of spelling bees and almost qualified for the national bee in 8th grade and never practiced spelling or studied words or anything for one minute in my life.

My brain is basically a haven for all useless knowledge.