Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2024, 3:36 pm

I think it's normal to hate anything once the novelty wears off.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2024, 6:32 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I think it's normal to hate anything once the novelty wears off.

College is supposed and expected to be an experience, formative or otherwise, a rite of passage if you will, a progression of one's life.

Speaking only for myself, my first college experience was so negative that it derailed my life to the extent of mental illness and alcoholism. I'm very grateful that I survived. Plenty of others did not.

So, with all due respect, we're not talking about frivolities here.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2024, 8:16 am

Fenn wrote:
College is weird. But you can make more money if you survive and get "that piece of paper".

The good news is you can acquire that piece of paper without having to suffer the social overload. This has been possible (in the UK at any rate, via the Open University) since before the internet, though of course the internet has made it easier for everyone.

In any case, thanks to the economic conditions (particularly the banking crash of 2008) and the general infantilisation of young people (more politely called 'the extension of the span of adolescence'), which may or may not be related to each other, I don't feel the traditional 'college experience' actually exists any more, by which I mean the rites of passage, the first steps toward independence, the movement from childhood into adulthood. Nowadays, students graduate from college, and then move back in with their parents. There doesn't seem to be much point.