How do you feel when you get a bad gradeor think you did?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 11:15 pm

I feel like my world has collapsed in on itself! At best. I feel like my world is askew and nothing is dependable or certain anymore. Even when I KNOW I got a good grade but it shows up as failure temporarily...because my exams grades come in later than the grades for the rest of the class because I write my exams in a separate room. I am still incredibly anxious until I see for sure that I have done okay. I get so upset that I can't study properly the night I find out even if I have to/ I don't want to eat much etc....it is really bad! Does anyone else feel like this? If so.....how do you deal with it?

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2010, 11:44 pm

I've gotten bad grades and even failed courses because of anxiety and shutdowns. Despite this I have gone all the way to completing a Ph.D. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have enjoyed things more and made more friends instead of being constantly overwhelmed, but hindsight is always 20/20 and you go through life with what you have.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 6:45 pm

Me too! In the beginning of my math semester, I was under 50%. I worked my butt off and now I have a 65% (not counting summative and exam). I freaked out for several days, but then I realized that it would stay that way if I didn't work on it.
Now I'm a bit upset because my Accounting mark went down by 6%, but it's still an 84%. I'm worried about the summative though, it is a week long and extremely hard sounding :(
At least Art is steady at 90% :D

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 12:38 am

Back in public school I got straight D's and F's because either the miterial didn't intrest me, I didn't understand it and I had bitchy teachers who would complain "I already explained it and if you weren't listning the first time, that's your fault, not mine!" or I didn't know how the answers were supposed to be written.

I needed a tangible reward to understand I did something right. I never understood the signifincae of grades until late middle school when I was homeschooled. I was also always told by my mom that it would be too hard for me to become a veternarian because I had trouble in math but maybe I could be a veternary technian (nurse). What kind of encoragement is that supposed to be? If I couldn't do what I wanted because I was too stupid, why should I bother being anything? Plus, my teachers hated me and treated me like s**t no matter how hard I tried to be good.

When my parents took me out to homeschool me, I started to understand the concept of a grade and I rarely got a bad grade but when I did I was always given the chance to correct my mistakes before the final grade was recorded. I think my worst grade ever in my history of being homeschooled was a C. I wined and asked my mom to contact the people who did the grading for me and make them let me take it again. She said it was okay because I C was passing and everyone gets a C now and then. Looking back on it, I actualy enjoyed the expirence because I finnaly understood what it felt like to get a poor grade and understand the signifinance of it.

My mom started to see how bad it was affecting me emotionaly that she did not believe I could be a vet so she started to encourage me and after she saw how well I was doing in school (on my own without her tourting) she said maybe I just needed to find a true motovation. I think one needs to get a bad grade now and then in order to fully appriacte good ones and like my mom said, find what truely will motivate you.

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2010, 4:09 pm

I started failing back in March. I don't get why. I didn't change any of my routines. Back a number of years ago, there was a time where I got 50% in something, I was fine with it, but I became outraged at the comment saying "Disappointment". Today, I'm still failing, but I've been noticing a slight improvement recently. I don't tend to get enough sleep, that started back in May last year. That might be part of why I haven't pulled up my grades back yet. I don't find myself studying much, either. It's been always like that. However, I started to feel a bit confident lately because my latest result in Maths didn't seem bad. If I study Maths enough for the rest of this year, I could find myself getting as high as a B again or even an A. I just need to spend some time studying though. That's the main reason of my failure.

In short: I've been slacking off this year, but grades improved slightly recently and if I study for at least two hours a day, I could find myself getting what I was getting before in Maths. In other subjects, improvements, but not as much.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2010, 3:23 pm

I do sometimes tend to beat myself up if I get a bad grade in something, however, if other people in my class get a similar grade then I don't feel too bad about it. I've come to realise that my work won't be 100% perfect all the time, and that be3ating myself up over a low grade won't solve anything.

I try to think to myself, "You'll be fine" and "That grade is fine for now".

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2010, 5:05 am

Grades once defined my sense of self-worth, as they were the only means by which I could interact favorably with my environment. I nearly fell apart when I brought home a report card with three Bs. Grad school has helped me to put that into perspective. Now, they are virtually irrelevant.