Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Kalikimaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2009, 6:50 pm

I'm a freshman in college. And when spring semester starts, there's a frat trying to start up a chapter here that I'm thinking about pledging to. My main reason for going in is that I have trouble meeting people, and generally want something to do in a school with practically no activities outside of theater.

Basically the only frat we have here now is kinda trashy, so one of the sororities is trying to bring in a chapter of another fraternity with similar values. They hosted a mixer the other night to gauge interest, and I feel like I got along pretty well with the guys, and the sisters who hosted.

Anyone have experience with pledging or fraternity/sorority life in general?

jesuisledoughboy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Dec 2009, 10:16 pm

I'm in my third year now, but I decided not to join a frat/fraternity.

I know people in a whole bunch of different fraternities, and one thing I've noticed is that the ones that are what I would consider "better" (community service oriented, and actually about making real and lasting friendships that aren't based on hazing) make a difference between "frat" and "fraternity." They describe a frat as what you see in the movies, with hazing and excessive drinking, but maintain that they aren't a frat, but rather a fraternity. They say they're different from that common stereotype.