Being off sick has hindered my progress

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 1:21 pm

I had a bit of a cold on the 19-20th October, and we broke up for the half term a week ago. I had a slight cold, but to prevent it from getting any worse, I didn't go into school. Here's how it's been leaving me thinking and worrying over the hald term and hindered my every subject.

English: I had some coursework that was due in on the 20th (but a draft copy) and my cold meant that I could not do it. I found that without the book that we were doing the work about, I couldn't do get any quotes to back up points. If I relied on my teacher's example essay and my plan, then I think that would be cheating. This has had me hesitant about whether I should do it over the half term or not.
History: I needed to do some revision for a test (not a major one, but just a topic test), and the test was on the 19th. I was unable to do any revision because I wasn't feeling too well the day before (the 18th). I will have to have the test at another time but it worries me still.
Religious Education: I have a test for this subject after we get back to school, and I need to revise for it. However, since my class would have done some work in the lessons I was off, I would have missed work and not be able to revise those topics. I have got lots of the work though, so I will need to study.
Engineering: In our groups of three, we were making polystyrene cars to go through a wind tunnel, and the one with the least air resistance wins a prize (I think it's just chocolate, but anyway). If it did happen on that day, I could just ask which car won but I would have liked to see it for myself rather than hear it from word of mouth.
ICT: One of my favourite subjects. We got to make a flyer for a local computer shop, and the one which was the best gets to have I think around 20,000 of them printed, and the winner gets a 2GB USB memory stick. People have been able to finish their flyers and I haven't, so I might miss out on the prize.
Geography: Another of my favourite subjects. This is just missed out work that I need to copy up, but I would have preferred to be at the lesson.
French: We had to prepare for a presentation of ourselves(In French, obviously). I have missed this and any other work at the time.
Maths: Another of my favourite subjects. This is just missed out work that I need to copy up, but I would have preferred to be at the lesson.
Science: This is just missed out work that I need to copy up, but I would have preferred to be at the lesson.

This has upset me that I have missed out on certain topics and written work. It also upsets me that everyone else at school can think proudly that they have done all the work. And I haven't. Staying at home also dismotivated me from my studies.
BUT - some other people had a slight cold so they might have suffered from the same fate as me.
Overall, I would have preferred a better end to the half term.

2.6 out of 5. (LOL)

aleclair
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2006, 6:01 pm

Exactly why I go to school every day, no matter how sick I am.

Seriously... I've only missed one day in the past three years, last December. But that's because I knew my teachers were letting us off easy that day, giving us the classes to socialize or showing us movies.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 8:26 pm

At some schools, there are policies that the teachers are supposed to give students time to make up missing work if their absence was excused. Most teachers also like to know when students will be absent ahead of time, but in the case of sickness, this is very difficult to do.

I only missed one or two full days of school last year, but there were some days where I just wasn't functioning well enough to stay the whole day. Unfortunately, the class that I really had to be there was an afternoon class, but the teacher was understanding about everything. He even worked with me individually to make sure I understood what was going on in the class when I missed it. Of course, I always told him when I was going home early...

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 11:16 pm

At the Uni I'm at, if our attendance drops below 80% we fail.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 3:38 am

Although I'm certain that the teachers will let me do the work that I missed.