With Colleges do you plan NOT to leave your state?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 8:24 am

Yes I want to do Psychology research a Bachelor,Masters/PhD is involved but I've never seen the point of out of state colleges. I'm in FL there's UCF (in Orlando) University of Florida, Florida State,Stetson etc. Plenty of FLORIDA colleges for me to choose from for psychology I see NO POINT in leaving the state. How do you/or did you feel about getting into a college?

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 9:59 am

I did my BS and Ph.D. in my home state. Why go out of state? There's really no reason to, and universities anywhere will give you anything you can put effort into and then some. There's also the consideration of wanting to be close to family, which is one of the major reasons for wanting to stay in my home state.

The other major reason is cost. Out of state tuition can be as much as twice as expensive as tuition for attending universities in your home state. This difference can figure into decisions to continue support and whether that support will cover your costs if you obtain scholarships. In general, tuition is very expensive no matter what you do, and it makes sense to reduce your costs by staying in your home state, whether this cost is paid by you or by someone else.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 12:00 pm

It's cheaper to go to college in state (usually by several thousand/semester). Course it also depends on what programs and quality you're aiming for.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 1:15 pm

I did not even apply to universities that are in the same province but over 2-hour drive.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 1:25 pm

If you live near a state border, you may qualify for in-state tuition in neighboring states. I'm about fed up with a certain college's advisors who don't like returning calls about transfering credits, that I am considering a college in MI that may be friendlier in that area. (I live in OH)

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 7:27 pm

I got a better scholarship out of state, plus the college was more of what I wanted in a school. A lot of people go out of state because they don't want to get 'stuck' where they are, maybe just to gain a new perspective, their state doesn't offer a certain program, they are interested in a certain school due to the prestige, or they want to be in a certain location to be available for job offers when they graduate (certain jobs have more availability depending on location). There are plenty of reasons to go out of state.

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2010, 9:34 pm

You could always look at wherever your parents went if they did go. Or if your parents work at a college. My work works at the local university, so I get 50% off tuition if I get in.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 8:55 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
Yes I want to do Psychology research a Bachelor,Masters/PhD is involved but I've never seen the point of out of state colleges. I'm in FL there's UCF (in Orlando) University of Florida, Florida State,Stetson etc. Plenty of FLORIDA colleges for me to choose from for psychology I see NO POINT in leaving the state. How do you/or did you feel about getting into a college?

I went to college in-state, but I went to a private school that was in the same county. When I considered grad school, I applied to the 7 cheapest schools in the nation. My home state had 3 of the 7 and they were not at the top as far as cost (even at out-of-state rates).

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 8:37 am

I have already enrolled in THE college that I like in Singapore and I intend to major in Psychology... Do I need to leave it?

Cicely
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2010, 3:39 pm

I'm going to college in-state. There are several great schools in Oregon, and for me it was a no-brainer to stay here. Much cheaper, less anxiety-inducing, and I don't have to find a new psychologist.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2010, 9:03 am

I'm from the UK but when I apply for uni next year I'll be staying in my home city. I don't want to get in more debt than I need to and lucky for me there quite a few universities to choose from. :)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

anarchybovine
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2010, 8:43 am

I'm from Wisconsin and even though some of our Universities rank up there with the Ivy League schools, I'm not planning on going to college in my state unless if it's for a last resort. I don't care if I'm far away from my family. I don't care if out of state tuition is more. I just want to have the expirience of living in a different state. I lived in the same s**t town my whole life and I just want to live somewhere else.

Capper7
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2010, 6:23 pm

Let me know if something like this goes on anywhere else.

I'm going to college on a scholarship called NJ STARS (New Jersey Student Tuition Assistance Reward Scholarship). Because I met certain academic requirements at the end of high school, my tuition and fees would be paid for if I chose to attend my local county college. If I have a high enough GPA after these two years, I can receive some money toward tuition at any state college in New Jersey.

So the state is giving us an incentive to stick around. But I think I'd be nearby even without this because of reasons that others have said: wanting to be near family, minimize travel, pay in-state tuition, etc.

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2010, 6:55 pm

I'm currently enrolled in a local community college that's cheap and instate, but I'm leaving NY once I get my general degree to go somewhere where the weather isn't unpredictable.