application essay for grad school

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2006, 6:09 pm

Having received my third letter of reference, I got to work late last week on my application essay. Here is what the university's web site said in explaining what it is:

Quote:
The Statement of Background and Goals is generally one to two pages discussing your what you have to offer the program and what you wish to get out of the program. If you feel that any aspect of your past, which is a part of your application, to be detrimental to your application (e.g. poor undergraduate GPA), this is where you would discuss this problem area and how you have addressed it.

Having said that, do you think that AS should get a mention?

Last edited by NYAspie on 07 Jun 2006, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sc
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2006, 6:21 pm

Well good luck with it.

selimsivad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2006, 12:19 am

Eh, unless the letters of reference are specifically mentioning that you have AS, I'd try to avoid mentioning that. These days, there's all these weird connotations with it... like "Asperger's = bad people skills + not a team player = unhirable" or "Asperger's = autism = Rain Man." So if it hasn't already been mentioned, you might not want to bring it up.

unclenutcracker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Jun 2006, 1:30 am

selimsivad wrote:
Eh, unless the letters of reference are specifically mentioning that you have AS, I'd try to avoid mentioning that. These days, there's all these weird connotations with it... like "Asperger's = bad people skills + not a team player = unhirable" or "Asperger's = autism = Rain Man." So if it hasn't already been mentioned, you might not want to bring it up.

Yeah, AS would probably only work for one of those "overcoming a disability" type fluff questions. Don't worry about being boring by not mentioning AS... most of those statement of purpose letters are astonishingly awful (and I'm talking about the ones NTs write, too). Instead of mentioning AS, take a slightly quirky (NOT something annoying or off-topic) approach to it and write in a manner that just "flows" out... like a journal entry. The professors on the commity that have to read those generally appreciate originality and will give you some slack if you have nice style. Oh, don't forget, chances are pretty good that you might actually MEET at least some of the people who will be reading this. I know I did (man, that surprised the hell out of me when they mentioned my personal statement and how "unique" it was). I don't know, if that makes you nervous, maybe you should forget it. Heh.

Hmm, also... be honest. I know I probably shouldn't have to say that to anybody here but... just don't make little "white lies" or "stretch" the truth any further than you think you can fake it in person. That can get you in a lot of trouble for very little potential gain.

farleighnewby
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jun 2006, 8:19 am

Mention it because you should be able to get in there then. People are getting afraid that we might sue them for discrimination.

Em

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jun 2006, 10:04 am

farleighnewby wrote:
Mention it because you should be able to get in there then. People are getting afraid that we might sue them for discrimination.

Em

Thanx for your suggestions, everyone. There is a section of the application form that asks if you want to identify yourself as a disabled person and thereby get information about any and all services provided by the college.

I didn't want to mention the college I'm applying to, but I'll mention it anyway: The University at Albany (a/k/a SUNY Albany, UAlbany)