Can someone here help me with this writing assignment?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 3:02 pm

Can someone here help me with this writing assignment?
I am writing a paper on surrealism i got the first 4 pages i need about a page more donre now i have the hardest part for me the last part is 'write an intelligent opinion on the art movement" this is extremely hard for me because its not something i can i just reaserch its something that comes from my own mind! this is my problem coming up with words to say i even have this problem in general life as well like in conversations ect
im not asking for stuff to put in my paper thats cheating but if someone could help me with some type of prompt that asks me specific questions so i can answer those questions when i write. please i need help

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 3:12 pm

You need to listen to "Firesign Theater" they did a funny bit years and years ago regarding a Surrealist Convention. Funny, funny stuff.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 9:29 am

Can't help - I would never have assigned such a paper. I want your facts and analysis, not an opinion that you fake hoping that it will agree with mine enough to be "intelligent".

As for surrealism - I myself have no opinion of the movement except my general opinion that artistic movements like other fads are bunk. On individual artist - I love Dali, and can give all kinds of intelligent opinions on him .

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 10:10 am

I'm not telling you what to write. I'm just going to suggest some questions that I would ask myself, and what I would research and think about, but I'm not telling you any answers, because I don't know them! So I'm sorry if this disappoints.

And bear in mind I've never taken a course where I've had to write an essay about an art movement, but I think I'd start by researching who were the practitioners of that particular style, did they come from a particular country or was it multinational perhaps based round a particular community living in a particular city? Was it a group of just artists, or who did they hang out with who might have influenced them, like philosophers or musicians or writers or other culturally influential people? What were the traditional and contemporary styles of work and art movements around them at that time? What era was it? What were the major social and political events that might have influenced the direction their art took? Was the style a reaction to or a reflection of society and politics? A lot of art isn't just art for the sake of art, it's a reflection of society

Or then again, did the movement grow as a result of developments in techniques or materials as technology becomes more advanced?

And I'd also research and consider the practitioners of that particular style, who did they learn from, was it a development or progression from an earlier art movement? If so, what were the precursors to that particular art movement? And also how did that movement develop, and then how did it progress, i.e. what were the subsequent art movements that those practitioners or their disciples moved on to? So you can discuss what earlier art movements fed into and influenced that surrealist art movement, and what new art movements developed alongside or afterwards as a result of it? And bear in mind that just as society and politics might influence the development of an art movement, likewise, an art movement might then influence wider society, so did that surreal movement have an impact on society, did it inspire practitioners of other art forms, such as writers and musicians to create literature or music in new styles, or architecture or fashion? Did it have any lasting impact on art and/or society and culture? For example, can you see the influence in any artists working today? Has it had a lasting impression and influence on art, or was it just a fleeting fashionable style?

Those are the kinds of questions