A college story (so far at least)

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2011, 4:04 pm

It's been a while since I have posted on WP, and a lot has happened.

In a previous post I stated I was going to college. I did. I failed all but one class. I tried again the semester after at another school. I failed my classes again. This all happened last year. To be honest I was discouraged, and having AS didn't help make it any easier. However, at the end of last semester I told myself that I need to do this for myself. I felt that until now I had been in college for the wrong reasons.

Now, I am attending NHTI (In Concord, NH), for a degree in Games and Graphics Programming (very solid degree, http://www.nhti.edu/academics/academicp ... gaggp.html). I am also living in dorms for the first time. So, I am in a college, in dorms, in a real degree, with a 13 credit course load. Surprisingly I have found it fairly easy to meet friends and people here. Most of the social awkwardness that used to be a real hindrance does not seem to be in play any more. I have made huge strides over the last 2 years to improve my social skills and have a lot to show for it.

Currently (and the semester is still young), I have A's in all of my classes (more in one because of extra credit work). I find that it is very important to utilize student services if you need them. For those who don't know, college is not like highschool. You are not singled out if you need help. Many of the kids who have "nothing" wrong go and get help in the same place you will. It is also very important to talk to each of your teachers, make sure you understand expectations, and form a good relationship.

I guess what I am trying to say is, it is possible. Currently I am on a 3 year track for the degree, and then may decide to continue for my BA first or start working.

So yes, I have Aspergers. I am a little (or a lot, depending on who you ask), strange. I still take things very literally and make a fool of myself in conversation. But I have found in the place I am at, I am accepted for it. I am achieving academically for the first time in years, I am becoming more social, breaking out of my shell more and more.

I think one of the things that has made all of this possible is defiantly my parents and family. Besides the fact they are not millionaires, I really could not ask for better. I also have to say thank you to my friends. To all other Aspies around my age: It doesn't matter if you are popular or not, if your social or not, do yourself a favor and make at least one friend who will be there for you no matter how much of a weirdo you are.

I wish the best to all other trying the college path.

-- VVJ

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 8:24 pm

Thanks for posting this. Not only is it great to read how well you are doing (after having failures, like all of us do), but it's really nice that you thanked your parents and your friends. Most people forget to do that, and I know as a parent that I adore my child on the spectrum and would and have done anything and everything for him. Your parents were probably the same. But as far as friends go -- you must be pretty terrific, because you have friends. Not everybody (NT or AS) has friends in college, and you must be likeable and thoughtful and kind if you have friends. Those characteristics aren't necessarily valued as a high school kid, but in college, yep, those things matter. I'm thrilled that you're doing so well. Keep it up.

krzysz00
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2011, 8:30 pm

+1

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2011, 8:37 pm

This is great news!! !! !! ! :D

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2011, 8:37 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
Thanks for posting this. Not only is it great to read how well you are doing (after having failures, like all of us do), but it's really nice that you thanked your parents and your friends. Most people forget to do that, and I know as a parent that I adore my child on the spectrum and would and have done anything and everything for him. Your parents were probably the same. But as far as friends go -- you must be pretty terrific, because you have friends. Not everybody (NT or AS) has friends in college, and you must be likeable and thoughtful and kind if you have friends. Those characteristics aren't necessarily valued as a high school kid, but in college, yep, those things matter. I'm thrilled that you're doing so well. Keep it up.

I really appreciate the feedback. I find like many Aspies I have ups and downs (as far as mood), going from very happy to very depressed/angry. It's not quite bi-polar. I think you may know what I mean. Dealing with things like that is one of the major challenges. I am putting my school work ahead of my social life (A mistake I made previously was ignoring HW and acting like I did in HS). All this being said, I do not think this is going to be easy but I feel that with the right attitude and supports I can complete my degree. A life goal (probably my biggest) is to one day be fully self sufficient, living without the aid of special programs or the like. I already made a large step in that direction when I went of my med's several years back.

As a child of a parent who has to deal with my nonsense, I will say that the fact my parents have supported me even when I have chosen to neglect myself has been one of the major aspects that has helped me get this far. To all other teens with AS that read this, I implore you to thank your parents (if they support you). You don't have to admit anything directly, but let them know you appreciate what they do. The same for your friends.

Kvornan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2011, 9:33 am

Very inspiring! I'm currently almost done with my sophomore's in interactive Media. And yes I'm quite behind and I've often hid away from my teachers because I don't want to show them my un-finished work. But for the last week, I've finally held my breath and talk to one of them about my 2D animation & sketching(which BTW, I'm a very very slow drawer). She understood that despite I'm slow, I do have a sense of responsibility and discipline.

Sometimes, getting into the social scene a little(even if it's just a pinch), can take you a long way.. :)