Special testing environment helps test anxiety

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

RedwoodCat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

I attempted to go back to college this Fall semester, and one of the biggest hurdles I faced was extreme test anxiety. It makes me so nervous to take a test with the professor watching, and other students getting up and finishing way ahead of me. Then I tried an online class that had proctored testing. I went to the proctor at my local college, and he took me to my own room, and didn't make me start the test till I was ready. Then he closed the door and left me alone.

This was the most pleasant test-taking experience I ever had. I was able to read the calculus problems out loud, and work through them out loud. This helped me to keep calm and focused. I actually got done with the test way early instead of being the last one in the room, and did very well on it.

I've now decided to give up on classes for other reasons, but for anyone else in college or high school having problems with test anxiety, I would highly recommend getting this special accommodation.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2011, 8:12 pm

Yup I will second this, it helps tremendously. A lot of fuss until you get there but it's worth it.