HELP! I have a group assignment Due march 26th!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 10:39 am

:-( I'm so confused!! !! !! I thought I could use the Milgram study http://psychology.about.com/od/historyo ... ilgram.htm

but the professor said I need to talk to my group to find out what they are doing. I HATE THIS ASSIGNMENT!! !! ! Yesterday he pulled group 1 aside and I just sat there. As he was talking he then asked isn't there someone else in the group I said me he motioned for me to stand up there as well. :-( The overall topic is Violent Crime it's a Criminology course BTW and I pretty much know the teammates topics but am honestly still debating on what I WANT to do.

I AM the leader but from what I've seen my group isn't too into the assignment. One said they just took it just because and have no interest in Criminal Behavior. Another since he missed a group 1 meeting I asked for his e-mail he said "Really you need my e-mail? You are really taking this leader thing seriously aren't you?" I said yes. Lastly I decided to send an e-mail to have a 5min. meeting on a Monday 2 weeks later 1 dude comes to me and says "You wanted a 5min. meeting?" It totally through me off guard. He said he only checks his e-mail about twice a week. :-( As you can see these students aren't excited for the field at all. :-(

I'm so confused on where to go with this! :-( Thanks!

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2012, 5:27 am

seems you got one of THOSE groups

a tip for you... start writing the paper and do a good job at it. When you have something to show, you offer an ultimatum: do something and stay or be lazy and leave. If they want their name on the paper, they have to do something about it.
Plan the paper. What it needs to contain and delegate the topics to the group members.

As a leader you need to know what the group is doing, and the group has an obligation to report to you. If you can prove that they have made absolutely nothing. I can see why you're having a problem with this, as it's the hardest part of maintaining a group. A good way of alleviating that is to address them as equals, because the way I see it, they're simply butthurt over the fact that you were chosen as leader and not them. The same goes in real life; you may hate the boss and you don't always get to do what you like.

Try to show them your work (if you can get them into one place) and have them see what you have done. If your prefessor allows this, you can expel then from the group if they fail to attend the meetings (same as skipping work IRL) or if they fail to show up with at least some work done. If that is so, they may just be looking out for a good, but cheap grade, but they don't realize the consequence that they may be heading for an F. This is basic work ethics and your professor should understand this.

Last but not least, take criticism well, and if possible, make an evaluation meeting where as many problems in the group as possible are discussed. Listen hard and listen well, bring a pad or a dictaphone for noting references. Although it's hard, take everything with a smile.

Regardless. Sharing e-mails is standard procedure for larger projects. If your group peers cannot see the logic behind this, i'm surprised they're even at college.

Don't go down without taking them with you