Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 7:28 pm

I am going back to school next August for a master's degree. I am putting together a list of what accommodations I need, and what accommodations I could get.

I was wondering what accommodations others have used and been granted for university.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 9:47 pm

Private exam rooms
Extended time on exams when I could not be offered a completely private room
Note takers when needed
Alternative grading for participation
Alternatives to group work
Alternatives to presentations

I should mention that the last one should only be asked for depending on what career you want. In my undergrad, I had alternatives to presentations; however, in my masters degree I do not. I want to be a professor, and it would be pointless for them to allow me not to do presentations when my career will force me to give them. If I wanted a different career, I am sure I would get this accommodation now as well.

I also plan to ask the accommodation office if it will be possible to get all thesis questions in advance because of my slow auditory processing time. I am not sure if this will be granted or not though.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2013, 11:27 pm

Exam rooms with less than 10 people
Option of using a computer to type up exam responses
Extra time because I have reading comprehension problems and process some tasks more slowly
Option of having a notetaker

A few were because I process auditory material more easily like:
Option of recording my lectures
Use of adaptive software that helped me write by speaking aloud and that read textbooks out loud for me

This is accommodations for undergrad

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 12:13 am

Private exam room and alternatives to group work are two of the most important accommodations I am asking for.

For central auditory processing problems, do you know if it is easier to ask for a note taker or for the powerpoints or lecture note copies beforehand?

I am not going on a PhD route, I am wanting to work for the department of transportation and for what I want to do I just need my masters. So asking for alternative grading for presentations might help, but probably not.

I have lots of sensory problems and that overflows to anxiety. I was wondering if one could get leniency to absences.

edit: I am also asking for consideration that I not be cold called in class.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 9:01 am

nebrets wrote:
For central auditory processing problems, do you know if it is easier to ask for a note taker or for the powerpoints or lecture note copies beforehand?

Notetakers are common and can help by writing down the main points covered in the lecture. Depending on the course, I'm not sure if profs had already prepared powerpoints or lecture notes beforehand and you may be at a loss if they didn't. Sadly, in my case, I am still at the mercy of the profs and availability of notetakers. But you could ask and see if you can get both if available.

Does your school have a centre for success in learning or counsellors who help with learning strategies? They may be able to help you find solutions.