Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 7:34 pm

I was thinking of setting one up with my online classes and go to the local campus to meet. My dad is really wanting me to get out and socialize etc. and I thought this could be a way. But I'm not sure how to set this up or what I'd do there. Honestly I read the chapters then take the exams/do the questions etc. I don't "take notes" or anything since it's an online course I just try to flip through the book while doing the exam and look back at it for discussion questions so I wouldn't exactly have "notes" to share I never make any. I'm not sure what I'd do there. IMO talk about our common interest in Criminal Justice otherwise I'm at a loss. :-)

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 8:40 pm

I would post on the online course discussion page that you are starting a study group for the class that will meet at X place and you wander if anyone is interested and what times they would be available. Second I would say that you would be reviewing the discussion questions, or vocab, or if there are questions in the back of the chapters of the book. The study groups I have been in have not been about sharing notes but about talking about questions or areas of confusion.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2013, 3:00 pm

I like to head-up study groups because it is "my kind of socializing/non-socializing."

Little small talk is required. I send out an email with time and place. I type up an agenda and send it out. I develop a study sheet where I type out terminology, followed by concepts and the key points - my objective is to round out the concepts into a coherent paragraph or two that I would be able to use on a test. I seek to hold concepts. You can, of course, set the agenda to anything you like - such as a discussion group generally or with a focus on one reading, concept or whatever.

If you have a place that has a white board - like a library group room - I enjoy using this space. It gives me something physical to do and I write definitions, problems, key terms, or whatever on the board. I also like to reteach material - usually group members really appreciate it and I am getting my jollies because I love to go over material and it helps me hold the concepts, as I already stated ... and I actually have people interested (wow!) I share my study sheets only with serious students who make an effort to come out and are keeping up and contributing. I have been burned and exhausted before by "users."

I find I end up with 1 to 5 who are committed ... usually, though 1-3 people - perfect. In my learning hard lessons phase, I was overwhelmed with a large group who figured out they'd use my group - so I am picky - once it is started, I won't exclude genuine people from joining in, but it is not fair to anyone that these people suddenly want a boost on our hard work. I got frazzled - too many people in one space which kills my learning and experience, too much taken out of me that I have to recover from and try to study what I wanted out of group that day as my experience was killed. Just food for thought. But, with a low key dedicated group - I love these. I won't go for tea, I will run my own group.

I like to have a few munchies and I keep a water or something going so I have something to do with my wiggles and waggles - and it is another way to be social/not-social.