Can They Take My College Degree Away?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 8:59 am

I constantly have nightmares about this. Typically, the nightmare starts where my college comes and takes away my degree. They then send me back to high school, and I am subjected to the horrors of that place.

I am not sure why I am worried about my degree being taken away. I am going to grad school now, but these dreams started even before I graduated college. I know of no reason my college would be angry with me, for I do not have a balance with them, and I have never knowingly plagiarized or done anything with others' material that I knew to be unethical. Could they still take my degree away, with or without cause?

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 9:17 am

Nope.

I had an obsessive-compulsive period concerning that. It's irrational; unless you do something TERRIBLE that directly affects the Alma Mater, you're fine.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 9:58 am

This is actually a pretty common nightmare.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 10:09 am

Funniest post that Ive ever read!

Ive seen news stories about how some huge percent of the American population doesnt know what country we won independence from in the Revolutionary War, or dont know whether the earth goes around the sun-or the other way around.

The thought of all of those millions of adults being forced at gun point to redo highschool to restore the honor of the american education system just cracks me up!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 10:12 am

Funniest post that Ive ever read!

Ive seen news stories about how some huge percent of the American population doesnt know what country we won independence from in the Revolutionary War, or dont know whether the earth goes around the sun-or the other way around.

The thought of all of those millions of adults will be forced at gun point to redo highschool to restore the honor of the american education system just cracks me up!

Watch out!

The intellect secret police will get you!

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2013, 10:55 am

i think it was because you were really stressed/ nervous at the time?

Till now, I still dream about having public exams (middle school/ high school)
Usually about being late, about not being able to answer the questions, etc.
But really, I did ok, and it was many many years ago.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 11:00 am

SuSaNnA wrote:
i think it was because you were really stressed/ nervous at the time?

Till now, I still dream about having public exams (middle school/ high school)
Usually about being late, about not being able to answer the questions, etc.
But really, I did ok, and it was many many years ago.

I was nervous then, and I am nervous now. I was nervous then that I wasn't good enough for my alma mater, and especially about finding a job after school. I am nervous now because I fear my graduate school, which I just enrolled in, made a grave mistake accepting me, and/or have lost the enrollment paperwork. Or the secretary is too dumb to recognize it as such. Or they change their mind about my acceptance.

Much of it is irrational. Even if it has no basis in reality, and I know that, it can still inspire fear.

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

Can they take your degree away? In a word: no.

I understand the feeling; I've had similar dreams before, as well. Typically I chalk it up to stress and ignore the dreams.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 2:12 pm

Check the statutes of the university that conferred your degree. I think you will find that the only basis for revocation of an earned degree is if the graduate obtained it by fraud.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2013, 7:00 pm

There are a few NT people I know who should have their degrees' taken away from them, on the grounds of complete indifference and incompetence. That would make my degree seem more meaningful, since i did study and I do have a brain as opposed to most people at the university of iowa.

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2013, 3:24 pm

No, unless you did something like plagiarism or something like that they cannot revoke your degree. I have never heard of someone's undergraduate or graduate degrees being revoked unless it was based upon a proven academic misconduct incident. Otherwise, you're fine and it is simply an irrational fear.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 5:06 pm

If they could do so without any significant infractions they already would have taken both of mine :lol:

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 7:42 pm

Disraeli wrote:
No, unless you did something like plagiarism or something like that they cannot revoke your degree. I have never heard of someone's undergraduate or graduate degrees being revoked unless it was based upon a proven academic misconduct incident. Otherwise, you're fine and it is simply an irrational fear.

This. When my motivation was waning in uni my mum always said to just keep going and get my degree because it's an advantage you'll always have-no one can take it away from you.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2013, 10:00 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
Disraeli wrote:

This. When my motivation was waning in uni my mum always said to just keep going and get my degree because it's an advantage you'll always have-no one can take it away from you.

Maybe. Then again, things that were supposed to be permanent in my life have fallen through many times. I do not want to be a Debbie Downer, and indeed, many bad and impermanent things have ended as well. It is just that nothing is permanent.

I remember reading a few years ago about another university in my city that ran into problems. It was a small, private university made mostly of commuter students and area government employees who went there for their masters, and it was never that well regarded among its peers. Its accrediting body withdrew the accredidation of that university. I am not sure what it meant for those who already had degrees, but current students were in limbo. Many chose to transfer, and yet no other higher learning institution would accept course credits from an unaccredited institution.

So I guess there is the chance that the accrediting body my university has could withdraw accreditation.

Arrow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Apr 2013, 8:26 am

That's impossible.

LongWaysAway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2013, 7:34 am

I used to have that dream all the time. One time it was so bad that I shot out of bed and dug up my actual degree and caressed it desperately. Sometimes they sent me as far back as the 4th grade. There I was, stuffed into a child-sized desk surrounded by little kids throwing paperwads at me.

These days, every once in a while I dream I have to redo certain grad school courses. I'm technically still in grad school, though, but it's still just as bad.