Online alternatives to uni, good/bad?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

thechameleon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2013, 10:03 am

I've been dreading the thought of uni/college as I'd basically be starting fresh, leaving everyone/everything I know and diving into a world I've never been in before. I don't think, but rather know from experience that it'd probably make me fail.

Online courses, however, look ideal; but searching online I came up with allot of, erm... Well some looked like blatant scams, others looked legitimate but didn't look like they'd be very credible qualifications...

So what's your opinion with the online route for tertiary education? Was it a successful route for you?

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2013, 12:08 pm

I've done both online and traditional courses. If you are considering online course I would encourage you to go through a university that offers primarily traditional courses but also has online degrees available. Community college are great at this. Some major 4-year universities have programs as well. This ensures that the courses are from a reputable school and are not just a scam. Some of the major online programs have had a lot of trouble with validating the quality of their education and some of their graduates have had trouble finding jobs due to where they got their degree from. Online universities also tend to offer very little financial aid.

In summary: Online classes can be great. Just be sure they are from a valid, qualified, and educationally-sound institution.