Issues of processing speed in school

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Agemaki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2015, 11:45 pm

I read slowly, I write slowly. I generally need more time to do tasks than other people. The problem is I am trying to pursue a phd in history where I will have to read and write a lot within set deadlines. (I have finished an MA) Are there therapies to increase your processing speed? Is anyone who was habitually slow ever become fast? I scored a 17% on a diagnostic test so I am significantly below average, if that puts things in perspective.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2015, 1:51 pm

What happens if you give yourself a fixed time to do something like read a chapter or write a page?
Are you able to speed up any?

Sidereal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jul 2015, 10:09 pm

I am also a university student who has to read a lot, usually dry engineering textbooks. There are some tricks you can use to read faster. First of all I think practicing helps. I try to read a little everyday, usually fiction books that I enjoy.

Second, a lot of people on the autism spectrum have issues with auditory processing. I dont know about you, but I can process visual things much faster. So, when you are reading, don't say the words out loud in your head. You can try listening to music while you read, preferably music without words in it.

Third, you dont have to focus on every single word individually. It's like when you look at a car, you instantly recognize it as a car without looking at the wheels, chassis, and windows separately. Just look at the sentences rather than the words. Also remember that in order to pass a test, you dont need to know 100% of the information.

Soomander
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2015, 10:09 pm

What Sidereal said. Plus I use to force myself to write random things at home as quick as possible with it still being legible to up my writing speed as I am in high school so I have to keep up with notes.